Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up early and took Chi for a marathon walk. Now, many of you know I've been working very hard with her acting "aggressively" toward people who approach us. We have made AMAZING progress. But today grrrrrrr we were walking on a particularly narrow sidewalk. Some idiot jogger came up behind us, I honestly did not hear him, I don't think Chi did either because she did not react at all. At least she didn't react until he literally bumped into me, pushing us out of the way. Of course then she did everything to get at him. I got her under control and all was fine, but you know this jerk didn't offer an apology, didn't slow his step one bit or even acknowledge we were there.
I'm also a jogger and when I approach someone from behind, if possible I will move over into the grass or down onto the road, if I can't do either I will at the very least say something like "right behind you" or slow my step as not to run over them. I guess it's wrong to assume others would offer the same courtesy. If he had gotten bit, it would have most certainly been my fault, even though he was the jerk. I hate rude people!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looking at this situation through Chi's eyes, someone was trying to molest her mummy. I think her agresssive behaviour can be excused today!

I had a very near embarrassing/serious moment walking Jeddah the other night. My husband was on my left, with Jeddah in between us. Young Female Jogger coming towards us, so just as she passes on my right hand side, Jeddah lunges across me towards Jogger and I heard an air snap of jaws!!! Right towards this young woman's backside. Now this is how Jeddah plays with my adult son, bouncing around mid air, snapping etc. So I'll have to be more attentive in future. I know she was playing by her body language, but imagine trying to explain that to someone else with a doberman hanging off their butt.:help_up_2

PS Tracy you think the moron could have at least apologised to you!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm also a jogger and when I approach someone from behind, if possible I will move over into the grass or down onto the road, if I can't do either I will at the very least say something like "right behind you" or slow my step as not to run over them. I guess it's wrong to assume others would offer the same courtesy. If he had gotten bit, it would have most certainly been my fault, even though he was the jerk. I hate rude people!
I always tried to give people the respect when I was jogging to say something like 'on your right' just so I wasn't sneaking up on them but I've noticed that a lot of joggers don't offer that courtesy. I try to be very aware of my surroundings when I'm jogging or walking but there's occasionally someone who'll sneak up on me and scare me half to death trying to pass me. I don't care how into it you are, it doesn't take much to offer a couple words to let others know you're approaching. I don't blame you Tracy, I would have been angry too.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't really get on to her. I told her "No" obviously and then had her sit and down and rewarded her for listening to me, tried to turn it into a positive experience. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I was a bit shaken. It just made me so mad because we have made so much progress lately. Yesterday we were passed by several joggers at a safer distance (all of 6ft) and she was fine, heard/saw them and looked to me for a treat :) I just hope this doesn't turn into a set back.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Grrrrrr is right. How frustrating, too. Shoulda let Chi get a taste of his backside...... (*not really, just would serve him right, along with many other people that behave like that*)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Chi probably felt as though you were in danger when this guy ran into you. She was trying to protect her mom. I think it was a protection thing and not really a aggressive thing at all. She felt like she and you were being threaten by this guy.

I agree this guy should have atleast said something, no matter what he said but something so you and Chi could have been prepared.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Chi probably felt as though you were in danger when this guy ran into you. She was trying to protect her mom. I think it was a protection thing and not really a aggressive thing at all. She felt like she and you were being threaten by this guy.

I agree this guy should have atleast said something, no matter what he said but something so you and Chi could have been prepared.
I totally agree.. Chi was trying to protect you..Some one in her eyes got way too close and touched you and she was going to protect you.. Good for her!!! I think if that happened to me, I would have had my dog go just to a sit and a down but not told them NO.. as I am sure they were trying to protect not just get at the jogger.. Now one thing our dogs learned in the command "Side" if we are walking at a "heel" and someone is coming towards us, we have the dog go to the other Side, the dog will drop back behind me and go to a heel on the right side of me away from the person coming towards me.. works good when we are walking two dogs at a Heel and some one comes towards us!! I love my dogs!!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I agree with everyones conclusion, Chi was doing what is natural with them, she was going to protect you....Most people can be idiots most of the time....The "No" command might not been the best choice at the time, though. For situations like that, I would use a different command. No is usually something they know they are doing wrong. She really wasn't doing anything wrong. I have use the command as "Enough" or "Knock it off", which tells my girl just to stop her current actions. It comes in handy when you want to stop there actions but are not telling them they did wrong. For example, at the dog park, some males always try to mount her, which she does not like. I let her tell them to stop in her own way. When I think she is taking it alittle to far, I tell her Enough or Knock it off, and she stops. I know this is not the same situation, but I do not want her to think she is doing something wrong by using No, in these situations. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I shouldn't have told her "No". To be honest I was a little shaken and kind of "winging it". Since I've been working with her I try to plan in advance what I will do in certain situations. Unfortunately, this is not a situation that I had a plan for. I will have one in the future though :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts