Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pet sitting a Weimaraner, Josie. Ripley has been around her before as she's a 'relative'. She was at our house for several hours before I noticed she had a fair amount of fleas. I gave her a bath right away with TropiClean shampoo and tea tree oil. I don't have chemical flea stuff in my house. The washable items she touched are in the washer now. But what about the cardboard that was in her cage? It's now outside but do fleas attach to things like that? Who knows what's in the yard now. I keep feeling like I have creepy crawlies on me! What other steps should I take? I'm worried the fleas are still going to spread like wildfire.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I'm pet sitting a Weimaraner, Josie. Ripley has been around her before as she's a 'relative'. She was at our house for several hours before I noticed she had a fair amount of fleas. I gave her a bath right away with TropiClean shampoo and tea tree oil. I don't have chemical flea stuff in my house. The washable items she touched are in the washer now. But what about the cardboard that was in her cage? It's now outside but do fleas attach to things like that? Who knows what's in the yard now. I keep feeling like I have creepy crawlies on me! What other steps should I take? I'm worried the fleas are still going to spread like wildfire.
Treat any and all areas where Josie went. Carpets, nooks and crannies, (corners) furniture. Throw out the cardboard that was in her crate or bed, wash her blankets etc. Treat your boy and watch for signs of irritation, scratching, if you start itching around your ankles and find red bite marks then the fleas are definitely in your home and you will need to retreat as the average lifespan of a flea is around 90 days if food is available and a female can lay around 50 eggs a day.
Now I am going to have a good scratch and think of something a lot nicer than fleas.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
from my experience baths don't work longer than a week
you need Frontline or Advantage
good luck
I ask God on a regular basis "WHY did you make FLEAS??" no use ...only torment

Reactions: Ripley!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Josie is only staying with us till Sunday. The poor girl is a mess! Overweight, one ear tip has dried blood on it, fleas, and toenails that are staring to curl. Someone told me to soak her down in Dawn dish soap and let it dry on her. I sprayed her down with some and took a flea comb to her. More fleas came off. Going to vacuum with a flea collar in the vacuum bin.
I'm exhausted and have to work a 10 hr shift tomorrow. Hope I can get this gone form my house, feel bad she'll have to go home to more fleas. :(

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Well Josie is only staying with us till Sunday. The poor girl is a mess! Overweight, one ear tip has dried blood on it, fleas, and toenails that are staring to curl. Someone told me to soak her down in Dawn dish soap and let it dry on her. I sprayed her down with some and took a flea comb to her. More fleas came off. Going to vacuum with a flea collar in the vacuum bin.
I'm exhausted and have to work a 10 hr shift tomorrow. Hope I can get this gone form my house, feel bad she'll have to go home to more fleas. :(

Do you treat your dogs for fleas? IMO your in a panic a little more than needed. While I hate fleas I have dogs meaning yes, we are going to see/have fleas regardless if I treat them or not. The flea has to bite my dogs in order to die. I have just discontinued using frontline about 2 months ago. I still have as many as I did when I was using it. I have a little more work on me by checking them every couple days and spraying my mixture of DE and water. But I am so relieved I am not pouring chemicals on them to be absorbed into their bodies.

I would wash a few things. Put a few saucers with dawn on the ground in a few places. If needed treat my yard for fleas and keep the dogs off of it for a few days. I would not wash my dog with Dawn. While it might help with the fleas it will dry out her fur and skin. My daughter just made this mistake with Dexter and I am not a happy camper. :( His fur has lost its softness and luster. :(

It is sad she will have to go home to more fleas...thats how I feel about my brother in laws dog. I dread when he comes over and I do not take my dogs to his house b/c of fleas. But I dont panic and have never gotten a flea infestation from his visits.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dogs are on Advantix. I just thought fleas were really hard to get rid of. And since I didn't see them right away it's got me worried. None of my dogs have ever had as many as she did. But yes we've had fleas before and ticks, we live in a wooded area.
I feel Dawn was a good decision. I understand it is just a quick fix, which is what I needed. As we all know you can give owners information (i.e. Josie should be on preventatives already) but everyone makes their own decisions.
Shadowolf - thank you for the link. I do have some of those oils. I usually add some to their shampoo.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I dont know how strong of a Dawn mix you sprayed on Josie, but you shouldnt leave it on her skin, imo. You shouldnt ever leave any soap on a dog. I have heard of bathing a dog with Dawn to kill fleas and see no harm as long as you thoroughly rinse all soap off. So many people do not rinse well enough and that hurts skin and coat. If your dogs are on Advantix that stops flea eggs from hatching, you will be okay. I am sure poor Josie has dropped flea eggs and fleas in your house and yard, but the advantage will help keep them in control. I would make them treat her with a topical treatment before agreeing to sit with her again. Kind of rude of them to send her over like that, poor girl.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
just don't breathe it in
it is considered the same as asbestos
be carefull with the stuff
I have some and take it as a supplement==i'ts good for your skin and bones etc...

Reactions: Ripley!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
just don't breathe it in
it is considered the same as asbestos
be carefull with the stuff
I have some and take it as a supplement==i'ts good for your skin and bones etc...
No it is not considered the same as asbestos. Link that says that?
There are also different grades of Diatomeceous earth.
Should use FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous earth ONLY. Pool filter grade is toxic.
Yes you dont want to go around inhaling clouds of it, or pouring it in your eyes.
And it can dry out your skin in large amounts, so if I stick my whole hand in the bag I have to use lotion after

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Heres a really long thread about it
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/3688/diatomaceous-earth-really-that-harmless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts