Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on saturday i picked up my brown boy, he just turned 12 weeks on Monday, and so far hes been a good boy. He likes to go to the bathroom right after a nap, or when he wakes up in the morning, so as long as i get him out right after he wakes up he goes outside, i've been giving him treats and telling him good boyafter he goes outside, so hopefully understand pretty quick where he needs to go. He can sit. He's a little scared on walks at first, but a little coaxing with treats, and he does better. He does surpisingly well at night, but we do try to wake him up if hes napping before bed, and play with him for a little while, but he can go 6 hours without needing to go potty, so I can live with that. Also one thing I was going to ask is, is it ok for him to eat dirt, im assuming it is, because my golden's i grew up with used to eat dirt, rocks, leaves, everything, and nothing ever happened to them. He like to eat dirt clods (rocks) when i see him eating them, i go get him a toy, and try to get him to play with the toy, but sometimes he just wants to play with his dirt, is this ok? Its not any special dirt, just the kind you would find if you dug up your grass, but its all dried out. Anyway, here are some pictures of him. Hope they work.

Vertebrate Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed

Vertebrate Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed

Dog breed Dog Canidae Snout Carnivore

Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We took the tape off his ears last night, cause they looked like they were taped too much, and he was able to move his ears around to hear sounds in different directions, so we took off the tape (We have a lot more tape, my gf works at a pt clinic), and they seemed like they were doing ok. Our breeder said that one of his brothers ears were standing after they took out the stitches, and didnt need tape, so we thought mabye he would be ok, what do you guys think, these pics were taken about an hour after we took the tape off. We let them air out overnight cause there was a lot of tape.

Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Floor

Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
OMG is he CUTE! i love the first pic his feet are huge and he's probably thinkin "woa, im gonna be a big boy!" I love the name you picked. Definately one of my favorites.

Im no expert with taping but they look good so far but you might not wanna keep them down too long. Sounds like he is a great boy.

Good luck with everything and more pictures plz!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
He is darling. As far as taping the ears, I`m a firm believer to keep taping until they have their permanent teeth.
Dirt eating I would try to stop, sometimes impossible I know, but I would really worry about the rocks. Puppies have been known to become canidates for emergency surgery
Good luck with your puppy.This puppy time does go by fast.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Teething can cause all sorts of probs with ears even here where we cannot crop ears so you should continue posting till he has finished teething,also try not to let him mess with too much dirt you don't know what he is picking up.
He is a good looking puppy with massive feet,i hope he turns out to be everything you wanted.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What a good looking boy!

Keep posting the ears, longer than you think. It will pay off in the long run.

Mensa's ears were posted for 6 1/2 months, I thought I would never finish! But I'm real happy with how they turned out so it was well worth the work.

Take lots of pictures because these guys grow FAST!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww cute! yeah i agree with everyone else...taping until after teething...and it doesnt hurt to be certain that they are ready. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Congrats on the puppy - he's a very big boy and if his body ends up matching those huge feet of his, I don't want to meet him in a dark alley. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the compliments, after seeing his ears today at lunch, i agree about retaping, they aren't drooping down, but they aren't standing straight up. How long does the teething phaze usually take? right now he doesn't have many teeth between his fangs and his back two teeth (molars for humans), whats the best thing for him, to help? We have this rope knot thing with a semi soft rubberish thing on it,he seems to like that, but I frooze some ice for him to chew on later today, because I heard that helps. Also how much should i feed him? Right now i feed him 3 times a day, a little less than a cup, and he finishes it in about 2 minutes, i also stick my hands in his bowl and touch his face when hes eating. Again, thank you all for the compliments, more pictures will come when I get a chance. It seems like hes getting noticable heavier everyday, growing so fast.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Your puppy is very cute. I would definately keep taping. Also now would be a really good time to start working on his nails, it is really nice when they are nice and short. We have a rescue and he has long nails and it has been a long, hard road to even get to the point where we can work on them without major trauma. If you start a puppy right it can be no big deal.

And BTW... Welcome!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Congrats. on your new puppy, and like the others said I would keep posting those ears. I know you think there going to stand but they will get weak so it's better to keep posting. *******'s ears were posted until she was about 4 1/2 months.
Your breeder can advise you on how much to feed. If I remember right ******* was getting alot more than that. I think I was feeding her 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day, maybe a little less. Geez, it seems so long ago! Do you mean a little less than a cup at each feeding or a total of a cup a day? If it's a cup at each feeding that sounds about right. He is a real cutie pie :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
He is a cute pup. I would also keep up with the taping. My dogs loved ice cubes when they teethed and still have the passion for them. Anything for them to chew on to help that chewing motion and keep them off of unwanted items. I would look at your recommended feeding for your bag of food and taylor it from there also. Every brand is different for what it suggests.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, i mean a little less than a cup per meal, so probably about 2.5 - 3 cups a day. Is it normal for them to scarf down their food so fast, im assuming its because he was used to eating with all his siblings, and they all push eachother out of the way and try to eat as much as possible as fast as possible, but hes has slowed down a little bit since saturday. Also, i know puppies use a lot of energy, but he sleeps a lot, is it normal for him to sleep so much, he's awake playing for maybe 3 or 4 hours a day, the rest of the time hes sleeping. Again thanks for the advice and compliments.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
QUOTE ( little less than a cup per meal, so probably about 2.5 - 3 cups a day. Is it normal for them to scarf down their food so fast, im assuming its because he was used to eating with all his siblings, and they all push eachother out of the way and try to eat as much as possible as fast as possible, but hes has slowed down a little bit since saturday. Also, i know puppies use a lot of energy, but he sleeps a lot, is it normal for him to sleep so much, he's awake playing for maybe 3 or 4 hours a day, the rest of the time hes sleeping. Again thanks for the advice and compliments.)

Sounds normal to me.I fed Tamora 3 times a day until she was 6 months old. She could have as much as she wanted in a 15-20 min period. I looked on the bag at the recommended amount as a guideline. I than took her food away until the next meal. She was not the fastest eater and she needed the weight. It seemed to work. Today she eats twice a day and is done in about 5-10 mins.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
OH my goodness he is adorable, he reminds me of Nash. Nash had huge feet like that too and he was a big ole boy.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What a cute pup!

I'd try and discourage him eating dirt as well. Not only can he ingest twigs or rocks that may require emergency surgery, but you don't want him making a habit of eating things he finds on the ground. Good time to introduce the 'leave it' command. (Puppies for Dummies is a good resource.)

Puppies are also notorious for eating other animal's feces. Yes, I know how disgusting that is. Java ended up with a bout of 'campy' - a bacterial infection that resulted in bloody diahrea, a week's worth of antibiotics, and an $80 vet bill.

Our breeder suggested that I add a bit of plain yogurt to Java's kibble to help keep her digestive tract healthy. She loves it!

Good luck and keep those pictures coming!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts