Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone here who is knowledgeable about pedigrees might be able to eyeball the pedigrees of a litter I am very seriously considering buying a pup from. I am just not knowledgeable enough and I would really value the input from a few experienced persons. If you know your stuff and are willing, shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send them to you. I've gotten some conflicting opinions ranging from "that's a high risk DCM litter" to "no DCM in that at all" I am confused as to how the two opinions could differ so much. I do trust this breeder, and trust the other person who weighed in as well, so I am confused and torn.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There is no, I repeate, absolutly NO pedigree that is DCM free. It is a major issue in the breed, and affect each and every pedigree out there. If your breeder is saying it is DCM free run, dont walk. Breeders do thier best to not breed to a DCM affected doberman, but Holter, and the DNA test. Ask your breeder if they are doing it. If not, doesnt matter the reason (at the very least they need to do one of these) then they are a BYB and not concerned about the breed.

Perhaps it would help if you posted the pedigree. There are ALOT of knowledgeable people on here.

Reactions: hawkswin and bubsy

·
Registered
606 Posts
Posted at the same time. LOL

Reactions: Dobies 71

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I am wondering if anyone here who is knowledgeable about pedigrees might be able to eyeball the pedigrees of a litter I am very seriously considering buying a pup from. I am just not knowledgeable enough and I would really value the input from a few experienced persons. If you know your stuff and are willing, shoot me a pm with your email and I'll send them to you. I've gotten some conflicting opinions ranging from "that's a high risk DCM litter" to "no DCM in that at all" I am confused as to how the two opinions could differ so much. I do trust this breeder, and trust the other person who weighed in as well, so I am confused and torn.

Thanks in advance.
I would ask for a pedigree that lists age of dog, alive or dead, what they died of and if alive if any medical conditions. I'd look for OVERALL LONGEVITY and not lines of cardio (i.e. sire, grandsire great grandsire, etc.).

Then I'd start asking about siblings of first 2-3 generations.

Then I'd ask if sire/dam has been bred what has been produced, any health issues? For example, in Vizslas epilepsy is our big concern. I know 2 high profile dogs who've been bred a lot who did NOT have it, but produce it A LOT. I wouldn't go near them with a 10 ft pole for breeding or a puppy.

Also remember "**** happens" - there is no 100% clean pedigree. Look at the # of occurences of things.

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 8 of 8 Posts