Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide if Diesel has pockets or not. I read that if his ears almost touch at the top that he does. They only do if his ears are in the "alert" position if that makes sense. I think maybe we post them too close together. He's 15 weeks can it be fixed if he does?

Here's a picture. It's kind of hard to see but its like a little dip at the front of his ears closest to the front of his head. Both ears have it. It's not very big and I felt like maybe it was just from that part of his ear being folded when we tape (it's just a little piece that folds on the inside of his ear I was told that it was suppose to go like that so i'm not sure if that's why there's the little dip or the pocket. I want to figure it out though before it's too late. I know you can use bumpers to help and we repost tonight so i'm just curious.

Also if anyone has pictures of pockets would be perfect. Then i'd know what to look for.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Won't really be able to tell until the ears are standing or at least your looking at them or get a pic of them in the straight up position...laid out flat like the pic is normal. There is always going to be a little concave portion behind the natural fold.

If the ears are standing upwards and leaning inwards, towards each other, you probably have pockets.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't really be able to tell until the ears are standing or at least your looking at them or get a pic of them in the straight up position...laid out flat like the pic is normal. There is always going to be a little concave portion behind the natural fold.

If the ears are standing upwards and leaning inwards, towards each other, you probably have pockets.
I tired to get one of his ears straight up but he wasnt cooperating. I think that's what it is cause it's just small and it's right behind that fold.

Could they be touching because I post them straight up and not at 10 and 2? Tonight we were going to post them at 10 and 2 and see if that helped them being so close.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture, but when we have pockets we usually just use a cotton ball placed behind the post to push it out. It is generally fixable but with ears there really is never a guarantee on anything lol.

Good luck!

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hard to tell from the picture, but when we have pockets we usually just use a cotton ball placed behind the post to push it out. It is generally fixable but with ears there really is never a guarantee on anything lol.

Good luck!
Thanks! I think it's just a little crease behind his ear. Sorry the picture sucks. I'm going to try posting different and see if that helps :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also can ears still stand if there's pockets in the end? I feel like the would eventually fall (clearly I am going to try to not let that happen but I was just wondering)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could someone post a picture of their dog with their ears straight up, no pockets please.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Axel was starting to show signs of pockets while the vet techs were posting his ears. When I took over the posting I started using Zephyr's method (there's a sticky thread for it) and the pockets immediately disappeared.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Axel was starting to show signs of pockets while the vet techs were posting his ears. When I took over the posting I started using Zephyr's method (there's a sticky thread for it) and the pockets immediately disappeared.
I post very similar to that except without the bumpers and vet wrap everything else is the same. Can I add bumpers even if he doesn't have pockets just to ensure he never does?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The bumpers are the key to getting rid of pockets and preventing pockets. Yes, use the bumpers. Won't hurt anything.

I love the vet wrap, by the way...doesn't stick to his fur so it doesn't rip out his hair!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bumpers are the key to getting rid of pockets and preventing pockets. Yes, use the bumpers. Won't hurt anything.

I love the vet wrap, by the way...doesn't stick to his fur so it doesn't rip out his hair!
I heard that the vet wrap can get tighter?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a photo of Axel without his posts taken a few days ago. He's just a few weeks ahead of Axel with the posting.
He's such a cutie! His ears look great. Thank you. I just remembered that I have a picture of Diesel from a few days ago. This is what his ears look like without posts do you think he's ok and that is just a natural concave from his fold? It really is small it's not that big and those other pictures in that thread made that puppies ears look so different then Diesel's. They do sometime get really close but it's not often that they do.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I heard that the vet wrap can get tighter?
It does get tighter, but if you do it right, that's a good thing. The directions say to wrap loosely then squeeze the wrap to hold in place. And always have the top of the vet wrap go just above the tip of the ear. I always check the ears in a couple hours after putting on the vet wrap for heat caused by swelling. I've not had a problem with it at all, but I'm still a bit paranoid and don't leave a post on more than 4 days without taking it down and checking his ears.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,424 Posts
I did a little googling on the subject of Vet Wrap--the consensus seems to be that Vet Wrap has to be used very carefully--that it is easy to put on too tight (because it is elastic, I guess) and that it will also tighten up on its own, or perhaps tighten sometimes if it gets wet or too warm.

A number of folks report swollen feet when the wrap is used on a leg wound in dogs (meaning the wrap is too tight); some report problems with horses; problems with using it to post dog's ears are talked about. There are some folks who say they've never had a problem.

My conclusion is that some folks seem to have a technique that keeps them out of trouble--but I would not use it, especially since I have no training or experience with it. If you lose the tip of an ear (or more) due to poor circulation, you can't put it back.

Other methods may be a lot more bother, but........

·
Registered
337 Posts
He's such a cutie! His ears look great. Thank you. I just remembered that I have a picture of Diesel from a few days ago. This is what his ears look like without posts do you think he's ok and that is just a natural concave from his fold? It really is small it's not that big and those other pictures in that thread made that puppies ears look so different then Diesel's. They do sometime get really close but it's not often that they do.
Thank you!

I think Diesel looks fine, but Axel is my first doberman, so I'm new to all this, too. I'd start posting with the bumpers and see if there is any difference. It might help give Diesel's ears a stance that you think looks nicer.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a little googling on the subject of Vet Wrap--the consensus seems to be that Vet Wrap has to be used very carefully--that it is easy to put on too tight (because it is elastic, I guess) and that it will also tighten up on its own, or perhaps tighten sometimes if it gets wet or too warm.

A number of folks report swollen feet when the wrap is used on a leg wound in dogs (meaning the wrap is too tight); some report problems with horses; problems with using it to post dog's ears are talked about. There are some folks who say they've never had a problem.

My conclusion is that some folks seem to have a technique that keeps them out of trouble--but I would not use it, especially since I have no training or experience with it. If you lose the tip of an ear (or more) due to poor circulation, you can't put it back.

Other methods may be a lot more bother, but........
Yea it just makes me very nervous. I heard that someone from Diesel's litter taped their pups ears too tight and he lost his ear so I'm afraid the vet wrap (since I wasnt shown how to use it) i'll mess it up and something horrible will happen.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you!

I think Diesel looks fine, but Axel is my first doberman, so I'm new to all this, too. I'd start posting with the bumpers and see if there is any difference. It might help give Diesel's ears a stance that you think looks nicer.
Thanks :) We did that and taped them at 10 and 2 so now we'll wait and see. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts