Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so you know.....I live in an area that doesn't have access to state-of-the art/quality care when it comes to veterinarians.

If Reba needs anything other than routine care, we will make the 2 1/2 hour drive to a vet that we at least trust a little more than we do the local vets.

So, today my DH took Reba to the local vet for routine bloodwork and while there, he (DH) mentioned that her left eye has been "weeping" lately.

The vet tells him....."Well, that is because you had her ears cut"

WTH? :confused2

Oh, how I miss quality vet care

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Whaaaaaaaat?! I think I would have asked him to explain in detail what he meant. And then I would have grabbed my dogs ears and massaged them in the way that my dog LOVES. Aaaand then I would have left, lol. Wow, that's ridiculous.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I'm so glad my vet is competent. I would have left the office if our vet said anything that stupid. Niz did have a weepy eye, and our vet ran a battery of tests before prescribing us some eye drops for mild conjunctivitis.

·
sandy2233
2,472 Posts
Oh dear! Can you believe stupid? I would have walked out and made sure the office manager DID NOT charge me. There is no excuse for a supposedly "professional" to say something like this. A friend of mine is the office manager/tech at a different clinic and she is breaking in a new doctor. The new vet and another tech were with a patient and she walked in to give him a message and the doctor said "Well, they will just have to wait." After the client left, she informed him that the owner of the clinic and she did not work 30 years to build a doctor/client relationship with their patients to have him say that. She told me that they should teach "client handling" techniques in vet school cause none of the new vets understand manners.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have made him explain that one to me with detail and I would have been persistent about it, but really only to watch them try and squirm out of an obviously snide comment.
Oooooh the nerve!!! That vet sure didn't have a problem letting you walk in and take your money though despite being radically against cropping!
The sad part is, I really don't think it was an anticropping comment.....I think she really believed that.

Oh dear! Can you believe stupid? I would have walked out and made sure the office manager DID NOT charge me. There is no excuse for a supposedly "professional" to say something like this. A friend of mine is the office manager/tech at a different clinic and she is breaking in a new doctor. The new vet and another tech were with a patient and she walked in to give him a message and the doctor said "Well, they will just have to wait." After the client left, she informed him that the owner of the clinic and she did not work 30 years to build a doctor/client relationship with their patients to have him say that. She told me that they should teach "client handling" techniques in vet school cause none of the new vets understand manners.
What's even sadder is, there really isn't much choice for vet care here....it doesn't get much better.

Let's see--floppy ears flop down in front of the eyes and help keep irritants like sand, dust and pollens out of the eyes. That's why bloodhounds eyes are shiny and the whites are so clear.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud....thanks!!

We also went to a vet once that actually mentioned the "brain outgrowing the skull" theory (although she said she wasn't totally convinced it was true).

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh...

·
_______
5,102 Posts
GAH you gotta wonder what it is they *do* know after stuff like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts