Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought 2 marrow bone (beef) 2$ each i would like to know if it good.
Marrow are good for dog ? She is eating the marrow inside and outside and she bite a little not hard bite.

Edit : i also bought yogour to put in her kong it is good. Greek yogour ( 0% m.f. , 18g of preterin per portion, creamy texture, probiotic. Ingredients. Skim milk, Bacterial cultures. More then 1 billion probiotic bacteria per serving that contribute to healthy instestinal flora.

here a picture of the bone.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I give my dogs marrow bones regularly. There is a risk of fracturing or breaking a tooth with them (as there is with most recreational raw bones/weight bearing bones), but they keep my dogs entertained for quite a while. Sometimes the marrow can cause diarrhea if your dog is not used to it, so be aware of that. You can scrape the marrow out relatively easily as well if the bone is defrosted. I do that sometimes just because.

And yes, the yogurt should be fine. A lot of people give a little bit of yogurt to their dogs either in meals or stuffed in Kongs.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I give my dogs marrow bones regularly. There is a risk of fracturing or breaking a tooth with them (as there is with most recreational raw bones/weight bearing bones), but they keep my dogs entertained for quite a while. Sometimes the marrow can cause diarrhea if your dog is not used to it, so be aware of that. You can scrape the marrow out relatively easily as well if the bone is defrosted. I do that sometimes just because.

And yes, the yogurt should be fine. A lot of people give a little bit of yogurt to their dogs either in meals or stuffed in Kongs.
Thanks for the awnser i got another question can i let her without supervisation and also do i have to take the bone out of her before it over for she dont eat it completely ?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't give my dogs pretty much anything to chew without supervision. Some people do leave their dogs with marrow bones alone, but I've heard of some dogs getting their jaws stuck in them somehow. My dogs have been getting them for many years and I've never, ever had a problem but you never know. It's a very minimal risk, IMO, but better to be careful.

And no, you don't have to take it away unless you want to. They can't actually eat a marrow bone. They just eat the meat off of it and the marrow inside, not the actual bone itself. After a while it might start to get a bit brittle though and tiny pieces might chip off. At that point I would take it away.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn gets one or two of these a week and he loves them. They're too rich for some dogs so watch her for a few days after to see how her stomach handles it. As for taking it away, you'll want to keep an eye on her as she eats anything. Are the bones small enough for her to swallow? Because if they are I'd either keep a ridiculously close eye or not give the bones to her at all.

I worry a little, though the treat choices are getting better for your dog, but you keep coming on here having bought something for Roxy and giving to her and THEN asking if it's ok. Please make sure that the treats that you give your dog are ok BEFORE you give them to her because otherwise things could turn out very bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dreizehn gets one or two of these a week and he loves them. They're too rich for some dogs so watch her for a few days after to see how her stomach handles it. As for taking it away, you'll want to keep an eye on her as she eats anything. Are the bones small enough for her to swallow? Because if they are I'd either keep a ridiculously close eye or not give the bones to her at all.

I worry a little, though the treat choices are getting better for your dog, but you keep coming on here having bought something for Roxy and giving to her and THEN asking if it's ok. Please make sure that the treats that you give your dog are ok BEFORE you give them to her because otherwise things could turn out very bad.
Yes i know sometime i gave to her before asking it. But like the yogour i ask before. About the other bone that was to small and she can swallow it was before my dad was giving that to his labrador and i didnt know it was dangerous so i was giving her then i decided to come her and to make sure it ok. Then people told me it not very good so i changed for real bone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts