Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just sad...plain and simple. My boy, Lennox, was diagnosed today with DCM & afib. I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m just not. We’ve got 2 months to maybe a year left with him. Please just hug your pups a bit more tonight for me. Every second with them is a gift.

·
Big Lil pup
6,249 Posts
I am sorry to her about your Lennox. These prognoses are not always cut in stone, even with a firm diagnosis. We had a boy several years back who was diagnosed with advanced DMC after a sudden near fatal tachycardia episode. He was 7 years old. His initial prognosis was "very poor". (Days or months) However, with available medication and a slightly modified regime he lived for several more years. He never did develop CHF and the end (SDS) was quick and seemingly painless. He acted as though he was completely healthy until that moment.

In any case... best to you and Lennox.

And yes... Every second with our Dobes IS a gift.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,605 Posts
I'm so sorry—DCM is such a scourge of the doberman breed. But medications have gotten better over the last few years; some dogs can do better on the meds than you might expect. I'm crossing my fingers for you guys.

Lennox is a handsome boy…give him a hug for me.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,557 Posts
You are absolutely right that every second with these loveys is a gift and we are never ready to say goodbye.

Try to keep some faith that the medication will be able to provide him with a good quality of life.

And enjoy every minute with him! Hug and kiss that handsome boy for me.

I understand that feeling of sadness and impending doom when my best girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma and we had our last week together. But it was one of our best weeks ever and I cherished that time we had together. Hugs to you.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your boy's diagnosis... however as others have said nowadays the prognosis can be surprising with modern medication and medicine. Hugs your way!

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
I'm so sorry.

·
joie de vivre
11,243 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hope you two have many more good days ahead.

Reactions: dobebug and melbrod

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Hopefully he will have many good days/weeks/months/years left with medication. You never know how long you get with these dogs. Hugs to you.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Keep your head up. You may get more time than you think. But we all understand how desperate and destitute you feel. We've been there. We all wish we could fix everything and make everything better for our dogs. Sometimes we can, most times we can't. So we just make what time we have with them, the best we possibly can. Hugs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lennox earned his wings this afternoon. He wasn’t in pain or suffering. He never responded to his meds as well as the vet would have liked. We made the last 2 months the best we could. He ate steak every night. I’m hoping time will dull this pain, but today has really difficult. This is his last pic, his eyes say it all

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,605 Posts
I'm so sorry. Sometimes all the care in the world just isn't enough. It's very tough for us, but the best thing you can do for them is let them go peacefully.

Run free, Lennox…

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,127 Posts
Monk, sorry to hear about Lennox, may he rest in peace. How old was Lennox?
Most of the Doberman owners on this forum understand the deep sorrow you are feeling now.
If you can, please share some of your favorite pictures of your boy in this thread.

We just went through a similar 40 day DCM ordeal with our Doberboy last Sept.
(His life video link is at end of my signature)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear, Just lost my son Turbo at the age 7 to DCM. I feel your Pain. What food do you feed. My vet told me it could have been the food, taste of the wild Is what my Turbo ate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I recently switched phones so I have to go dig up some my old ones, these are all I have on this phone at the moment. Len was 10, I picked him out at seven weeks old, or to be honest with you I should say he picked me out. I was actually going to pick out a black and tan female, when I walked into the breeders house he jumped over seven other puppies and sat in front of me. The rest is history. I ended up getting a red male....who knew he would be the best dog I ever had. In his later years he ended up with food allergies so we switched him to grain free diet, which could have also attributed to DCM… But maybe not sometimes you can’t out run genetics. The black female dog in some of the pictures is our new addition, She came from the meat farms in South Korea… He took her in like she has always been part of the pack. I love that he was so accepting of everybody and everything. There wasn’t an aggressive bone in his body

1 - 20 of 30 Posts