Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week i took Bauer to the vet to get blood work done for heartworm testing. My vet requires a yearly blood test before they sell any heartworm medication. So when they asked if i wanted to do a profile i said yes, thinking i would get it done now and in the future if he ever needed to get tested they would have something to compare it too.

Well expecting everything to come back fine, the vet called and said his thyroid levels were low at .5 she said normal ranges .8-3.5. She said they could run another test or start medication. I chose to run the other test first.

What i'm curious about is, why doesnt bauer have any signs or symptoms of hypothroidism? He has no flakes, no weight gain (76 lb), full coat, not lethargic and is his normal self. If i didn't have to go in for the yearly heartworm test i would have never brought him in.

I called the breeder she said neither the sire or dam has hypothroidism. She also keeps in contact with another owner of bauers littermate and she hasn't mentioned anything.

Im justing hoping he is going to be ok. I dont get the results back until monday. All his other blood work was normal.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
It's not at all uncommon for hypothyroid dogs to show no obvious symptoms of the disease. My experience has been in some cases you do see a difference after the dog starts treatment, you have a more expressive, "alive" dog. So the very subtle symptoms sometimes only become obvious after the fact.

Low thyroid is very common in this breed, and actually is the most common endocrine disorder in all dog breeds. Luckily, it's very easily treated with inexpensive meds.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Not to worry.. and it's alwasy wise to get a second opinion, so I'm glad you're having anbother panel done.
Sofia was exhibiting classic hypothyroid behavior and symptoms ( including a 'Frito" smell) just two little pills daily and she's back to her sassy self.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Eli had the common symptoms except he did not have weight gain. I can't tell you how much those two little pills a day have changed his life and mine. His hair is thick, strong and shines. One of the most hard to live with things about Eli's thyroid problem was his smell, oh man he smelled up the enire house, that strong, strong dog smell that we do not like. It is gone, completely gone. I think his energy level is up some too. Also he was cold a lot and he is not now at all. I had no idea originally all his symptoms would be thyroid related because he was only 3. I pushed the vet because of what people said on this very chat. The vet thought it was allergies.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If it is just slightly low and the dog has no symptoms, my vet suggests not treating and retesting at the next annual visit.

Reactions: Jaycee

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The second test came back normal. He never had any symptoms and the vet said we should check again next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts