Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My 4yr old female has been having a skin infection for the last 3 months that seems to go away on antibiotics, then comes back after the meds are stopped. I insisted on a thyroid test, and attached are the results that came back yesterday.

For those who have knowledge, do these results look like a typical case for hypothyroidism? I'm picking up the meds tonight (don't know what they are yet), but wanted to double check in case Lexi being on antibiotics or having a skin infection can somehow skew the results? I'm worried about putting her on thyroid meds if she doesn't need them (potential harm?)

She doesn't seem to have any major side effects, no lethargy, but she does have dry skin w/ dandruff and hair that falls out easily (but I attributed this to the never-ending skin infection and antibiotics). She's on fish oil and vitamin E supplements (about a month now) and has a glossy coat despite the dryness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
:confused:

Thanks,
Lena

Lex-thyroid.jpg

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
I would have a full thyroid panel done. That gives you more information on what is going on.
Honestly I would recommend a full blood panel be done in addition to the full thyroid.

Has your vet done any skin scrapings or cultures? This to me is very important and a lot of vets don't go there.

What are you feeding? Food sensitivities can show up in the oddest of ways and depending on the thyroid panel, it may be something to consider in addition to to thyroid problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe the full thyroid panel was done - Free T4, T4, TSH.. can't see T3 on the results for some reason but I thought that was done as well. Is there anything else that is missing from the attached pic?

She had a full blood panel done in August and everything came back fine (just a bit dehydrated). Is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for in the blood work? Glucose level wasn't included.

She is on Acana grain-free and The Honest Kitchen grain-free.

Forgot to add, yes skin scrapings have been done (from the pustules and dry scabs as well). Just waiting on the results.
She was on Simplicef for 3 weeks and that did wonders, but once off her skin issues have come back (redness, rash, scabs, dry scaly skin).

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Did the vet run thyroid in house?

Full blood panels can give you a idea if there's something wonky going on.
When was she last vaccinated?
Both foods you mention are goods foods (IMO) that doesn't mean she hasn't developed allergies/sensitivities.
Perhaps you could do a food switch (within the same manufacturer) to a different protein source and see if there is an improvement.keep in mind It can take time for allergens to work their way out of the system.
Keep your ingredient labels for comparison.

Is your vet prescribing steroids with AB? It could just be that the vet is ending meds before the infection has completely cleared up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No in-house testing, thyroid was sent out to ANTECH diagnostics (whatever that is). All I'm seeing is T4, Free T4 by dialysis, TSH level and Thyroglobulin autoantibodies (TGAA) at 1%

Her last vaccination was 3 years ago (rabies). I have been titer testing since her final puppy shots (full immunity, no issues).

Have tried making the food switch within the Acana lineup, but didn't help. Even tried Orijen fish.

No steroids - can't put her on that, she's vWD affected (but not clinically).

Puppy full of issues :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts