Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new on here. I am wanting to ask everyone.
My Blue full blooded dobie is so hyper. SHe is about a year a half and we just don't know what to do with her.
SHe runs around our house and just wants to play with my little kids rough.
We give her exercise but nothing works.
Please help and give me your advice.
Thanks.
[email protected]

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome. It sounds to me like she needs a lot more exercise, both mental and physical. I would take her to an obedience class or a refresher course if she has already been. Dobermans need a lot of mental stimulation and physical activity on a daily basis or they get just like you are describing after awhile.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I'm with all the others O.B.is needed, I think that will help.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Is this your first doberman? A doberman is so different than the typical dogs that people get. These dogs are very smart, have high prey drives, high energy levels, total people dogs, and are always thinking. They need a good leader to set the ground rules, if not they make their own rules. Training is a must for these guys. The beauty of it is they excel really quick in training and the more you do it, the better they love it. Then they learn where they belong in your pack. They kinda need a job to do, even if its just retrieving a ball for you to do daily.

They can be a handful, where it looks like they are hyper, its just they want to please you, but not sure how to accomplish this. We are here to help because we have already gone through this and have these dog blend into our lifestyles, but there are alot of things you need to do to establish this. All of the above posters have already covered alot of what is needed. Look around the site and you will find some great topics that already address a lot of this. Welcome to Doberman Talk.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
That is what I was thinking too. My dobermans loved noting more but to be busy, busy, busy. Kept me on my toes. It doesn't take much. I was pregnant with a broken leg when I got Cleo and we still did the classes. She made it easy on me. She excelled even though she was the youngest in the class. I swear she knew that I needed the help so she didn't want to dissapoint.

Give her lots of things to do and play with. Do you have kids? Give the kids a job to exercise with her. One of my kids jobs around the house was to play with the dogs. Not go out and swing, but to go out and throw a ball or run.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
At 18 mos there is still a lot of puupy left in your Dobe and a tired Dobe is a happy one. If they don't get the physical and mental exercise they need, then they get bored and get into mischief. Obedience classes are perfect for helping you learn how to handle your dog, teaching what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. And like anything else, you have to reinforce what you've learned in class every day until the next class. You will be surprised at how quickly you will see an improvement and how strong a bond will form between the two of you during the training process.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
One thing I haven't seen mentioned but is very important for any dog w/kids.
Make sure your children understand that playing rough with the dog encourages the dog to play rough in return.
Orson is 9 months old, and I have went through it, and am going through it still. My boys........age 7, 10, and 17 like to get Orson riled up, but when push comes to shove, they don't like it when he goes overboard!
I have told them to always use a dog toy so the dog knows where to put his mouth, I have also told them not to encourage wrestling with Orson, they are too small and Orson's nails really hurt.

Just a thought as I don't know how old your kids are, or if they play with the dog to encourage things. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts