Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting with a chiropractic DVM recently, discussing Simon, and she recommended trying Hyaflex (HyaFlex for your dog). Simon is already on Dasuquin with MSM, and the vet thought this might be a good addition for him. He's been on the Hyaflex for a couple of weeks now, and I think I'm seeing some good improvement on it. I was just curious if anyone else has tried it and had good results.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but it's probably a good chance for me to point out that hyaluronicacid should never be used in a cancer patient, therefore it is out for me.
I have read that, and thanks for mentioning. I'm curious whether it is contraindicated for anyone in remission, too? I would think yes, but I should ask my sister-in-law about that (she's an MD). The chiro vet uses the human version herself and says it's like a miracle drug for her; she has terrible knee issues.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I do not currently use any joint supplements for my dog, however, having a 24yo off the track thoroughbred who has been racing/eventing/jumping/competing for over 22 years now, I've tried many many supplements. She was on a basic glucosamine chondroiton, msm supplement (cosequin which is amazing both for horses and dogs) but with the addition of Hyaluronic acid this year, the results have been outstanding! Its used frequently in horses (and people!) and I highly recommend it, good to see that people are using it on dogs as well

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would be curious about what dose of hyaluronic acid this stuff provides... that information is either very well hidden, or it isn't there.

When it exists, I will usually opt for a high grade human supplement over one for animals... quality and cost both tend to be better, and often animal products do not really contain a therapeutic dose of whatever.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, mmctaq. I'll have to see if my bottle has any of the dosage information on it. I'll try to remember and check it out tonight and update.

I went with the dog version purely on the recommendation of the chiro DVM. She's pretty big into holistic medicine, and I trusted her recommendation based on what I know of her.

Unfortunately, the Hyaflex is quite a bit pricier than the Dasuquin. I'm going to have to weigh the benefits in a couple of months to see if it's worth it to continue.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, sam&macksmom. I think that's around what I spent on Amazon, too. But I think that's only about a month's worth...I guess we'll see how long my bottle lasts. Have you been using it or is this a first purchase?

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I purchased it after reading this thread :) never used it before. I think I might alternate between Dasuquin and Hyaflex.

Thanks, sam&macksmom. I think that's around what I spent on Amazon, too. But I think that's only about a month's worth...I guess we'll see how long my bottle lasts. Have you been using it or is this a first purchase?

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me know how it goes for you!

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dosage on the Hyaflex package says there is 2 mg per 2 mL. Simon gets 2 mL per day (one dropper full). Thought I'd update.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be curious about what dose of hyaluronic acid this stuff provides... that information is either very well hidden, or it isn't there.

When it exists, I will usually opt for a high grade human supplement over one for animals... quality and cost both tend to be better, and often animal products do not really contain a therapeutic dose of whatever.
mmctaq, do you have any suggestions about where I can find hyaluronic acid elsewhere? I would like to keep Simon on it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
mmctaq, do you have any suggestions about where I can find hyaluronic acid elsewhere? I would like to keep Simon on it.
What I am using right now is 21st Century K-9 Maximum Joint Formula - Level 3 - Dog - Sale - PetSmart (actually, my bottle says Maximum Senior Formula, not Maximum Joint Formula... I don't know which is the new name, but it is the same product). A bottle is a month's worth and costs about $23. Two tablets deliver twice the hyaluronic acid (20 mg. vs. 2 mg.) of the other supplement. I have been using this for just over two months, and am very (make that VERY!) pleased with it. I generally use human supplements for dogs and generally do not use "shot-gun" formulae but choose individual supplements at the dosages I want, but I grabbed some of this and it just plain works.

I would recommend also an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement at a therapeutic level... at least 1000 mg. fish body oil per ten pounds of body weight.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I am using right now is 21st Century K-9 Maximum Joint Formula - Level 3 - Dog - Sale - PetSmart (actually, my bottle says Maximum Senior Formula, not Maximum Joint Formula... I don't know which is the new name, but it is the same product). A bottle is a month's worth and costs about $23. Two tablets deliver twice the hyaluronic acid (20 mg. vs. 2 mg.) of the other supplement. I have been using this for just over two months, and am very (make that VERY!) pleased with it. I generally use human supplements for dogs and generally do not use "shot-gun" formulae but choose individual supplements at the dosages I want, but I grabbed some of this and it just plain works.

I would recommend also an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement at a therapeutic level... at least 1000 mg. fish body oil per ten pounds of body weight.
Simon is on Fish oil already. Would you recommend the supplement you linked in place of Dasuquin and Hyaflex? As in, just use that one to get the same benefits? From the description, it looks like it contains the same ingredients. I've been using Dasuquin primarily because my vet highly recommended it and said she's seen the best results particularly with that brand.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Mac just had FHO surgery, and I am scoping out joint supps as well. Shes already on fish oil with a Vit E chaser, would you guys recommend this vs. Cosequin? Can anyone point me to some good literature re: best supps (there are SO many) and proper ratio. I have good info about glucosamine/chondriotin/MSM. But this ingredient is new to me.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Simon is on Fish oil already. Would you recommend the supplement you linked in place of Dasuquin and Hyaflex? As in, just use that one to get the same benefits? From the description, it looks like it contains the same ingredients. I've been using Dasuquin primarily because my vet highly recommended it and said she's seen the best results particularly with that brand.
Joint supplements are odd... the best recommendation is to use what works, and it won't necessarily be what you expect. If you have two products which look virtually identical on paper, one might work better for your dog than another. A lot of it undoubtedly has to do with the quality of the raw ingredients used by the manufacturer, but sometimes I suspect that there are other variables, as well.

If this product works well for Simon, I would consider it alone to be much better than the two products you are using now. I have to qualify that by saying I know nothing about the avacado/soybean dealie that seems to be a large part of the point of Dasuquin... if it does have some sort of magic ju-ju, than perhaps it is superior.

All I can suggest is that you try the product for a month or two and see whether or not it seems to be as effective or better than what you are doing now. I don't know any other way to judge...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Mac just had FHO surgery, and I am scoping out joint supps as well. Shes already on fish oil with a Vit E chaser, would you guys recommend this vs. Cosequin? Can anyone point me to some good literature re: best supps (there are SO many) and proper ratio. I have good info about glucosamine/chondriotin/MSM. But this ingredient is new to me.
I don't know that any joint supplement is going to buy Mac much in the way of benefit. Joint supplements specifically address degenerative/arthritic issues, which is not really what you are dealing with. People tend to view them as mobility supplements and use them for torn ligaments and all sorts of things that they really cannot address.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joint supplements are odd... the best recommendation is to use what works, and it won't necessarily be what you expect. If you have two products which look virtually identical on paper, one might work better for your dog than another. A lot of it undoubtedly has to do with the quality of the raw ingredients used by the manufacturer, but sometimes I suspect that there are other variables, as well.

If this product works well for Simon, I would consider it alone to be much better than the two products you are using now. I have to qualify that by saying I know nothing about the avacado/soybean dealie that seems to be a large part of the point of Dasuquin... if it does have some sort of magic ju-ju, than perhaps it is superior.

All I can suggest is that you try the product for a month or two and see whether or not it seems to be as effective or better than what you are doing now. I don't know any other way to judge...
Very helpful - thanks. I have a big bottle of Dasuquin left; once it's gone I will probably try out the one you recommend and see how he does on it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Very helpful - thanks. I have a big bottle of Dasuquin left; once it's gone I will probably try out the one you recommend and see how he does on it.
Report back to the class, please! Anecdotal evidence helps me to do a better job of making recommendations to customers and such, so knowing how this works for you in comparison to what you are using now would be very helpful to me, and appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will do! It might be a while - the bottle of Dasuquin is pretty big :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts