Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have any luck getting their dobe to hunt anything? I've been wanting to get a dog to tree squirrel and then I figured I'd give Azura a shot at it before I get another dog. Taking her out in the morning to see if she'll get after one and will post how it went.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I read a story once about a Dobe that was trained to Dove hunt. All the other hunters with their fancy bird dogs laughed at a Dobe dove hunting, but the Dobe retreived more birds than any of the other dogs!

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Might want to look at Rat terriers if you're looking to squirrel. Some breeds just have generations of hunting and drive bred into them, and no amount of training will give you the same results. Mine are 13 and still regularly kill rabbits out on walks, while on leash. (We have some pretty stupid rabbits here)

Similarly, I wouldn't expect that an RT would do very well at protection work..

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Bacchus' latest past time is hunting ground hogs. I pull up to the field and he is scanning for any heads. He has taken to urinating and defecating at the entrances to their tunnels. If he finds one out in the open he harasses it.

I don't know if this qualifies as hunting.......

Perhaps more a matter of "take that".

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt hunts to kill, my hunting dogs hunt to hunt. Very very big difference. Flirt will retrieve the chukar but it's not with a soft mouth like the Vizslas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well long time no post, anyway I never got to take her hunting for awhile because of rain but I have had her out just walking up and down my road and we've only seen one squirrel, she saw it and chased it down and even tried to pick up the scent but I guess she couldn't since she doesn't know what a squack smells like. Taking her out again tomorrow afternoon to see if we can find one if the rain holds off.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Chanel can sense a squirrel from well across the road & will chase it down & bark frantically at whatever tree it has escaped into. It means I can't let her out front off-leash, even if we are just getting into the car.

Luckily, she's smart enough not to chase when she's leashed & I learned the hard way to lock the extendaleash when she alerts, but before she starts moving. (Busted the link on her collar the first time & I was glad there was no traffic.)
Kate

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you want a top notch hunting dog, then there isn't much getting around the need for a breed created for that purpose. If all you want to do is have some fun with the dog you already own, then as long as it has a decent work ethic and a drive you can use is present in the dog; you can train it to do all sorts of stuff. He may just not be all that great at it when compared to a different breed.

If it was me, I think the fastest/easiest route to train something like that would be to see if some folks with “real” squirrel hunting dogs would let you join them, then reward your dog and let her know when she's performing the actions you want.

For a real hunting dog the reward is the hunt itself, just like for a protection dog the reward is the fight itself, so you may have to get creative with rewarding the hunting behaviors you want to encourage.

Adara has some hunting dogs and if you're serious she might have more suggestions.

Good luck. Please update on how it goes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't expect her to perform as good as a Feist or Rat Terrier. I just want to have fun with her. I'm taking her out in about 5 minutes and will update as soon as I get back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts