Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 3rd time Bronson has had the hunger pukes and they freak me out everytime.
He wakes me up heaving, pukes up yellow bile and then paces, whines, and his stomach rumbles/growls so loud I can hear it across the room. Refuses food and water.
Everytime it happens I think he is bloating and about have a heart attack.
But after 5 minutes he'll finally eat something, potty and curl up and go back to sleep just fine. I know hes good cause hell be chasing bugs instead of coming back inside.
I only feed him in the mornings but will give a snack/tiny meal before bedtime but I've been so busy I forgot tonight and learned my lesson and he'll be getting his bedtime snack every night for sure now.
Whew!
I am in the process of a break up, moving, lack of sleep and work is crazy. Last thing i need is something to happen to my dog!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the same issue...actually last 2 males have. My problem now is he wont eat in the AM total protest of food!!! He is not a morning dog I guess. I am trying mult food now 2 see what he will eat and itr is not going well. Keep us posted and i will do the same. My 1st male did it often until neutered and then ate muh better never an issue again. Also I know he has no health issues and discussed this already with my vet as he will eat later in the day and evening just fine

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
I have the same issue...actually last 2 males have. My problem now is he wont eat in the AM total protest of food!!! He is not a morning dog I guess. I am trying mult food now 2 see what he will eat and itr is not going well. Keep us posted and i will do the same. My 1st male did it often until neutered and then ate muh better never an issue again. Also I know he has no health issues and discussed this already with my vet as he will eat later in the day and evening just fine
I feed two meals a day--about 12 hours apart and have done this for years--my dogs don't have those bile urps early in the morning.

Also--I do a fair amount of dog sitting--mostly for the vets in the clinic where I work--one of the vets has a Golden who she swears....will not jump into her car (which is about 3" off the ground) and isn't a morning "person"--so wont' eat breakfast. That dog jumps into the back of my truck (which is much more than 3" off the ground) and jumps up at 5:30 am and is happy as a clam to eat breakfast when my dogs do.

If he's still intact a lot of young males between 10 months and 18 months (or until neutered) turn into picky eaters. But I would not switch foods and try to find something that "he will eat"--that way doth lay the eternally picky eater.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only reason I only feed in the AM is because Bronson is fed a raw diet and only eats about 1lb a day. If I split the meals his pieces are too small and he doesnt chew anything. So he eats a whole lb at once. At night I usually give half a can of sardines and some treats for doing tricks.

I completely forgot last night. He eats on his towel and is usually sitting on it going "Where's my dinner mom?" but didnt last night.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Doesn't only feeding once a day increase risk for bloat? I remember reading that somewhere. It may be different for raw fed dogs though. So forgive me if I'm wrong.
Anyway, both of my dobes will puke bile if I don't get enough food in their belly before bed, so I divide their evening meal into two. So they get a cup of food around 6:30 pm and I give them another half cup of kibble between 9:00 and 9:30 pm. I also feed them breakfast as soon as we get up around 7:00 am. This has really helped the hunger pukes for mine. Maybe you could give a large biscuit along with the sardines at bedtime.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I feed 2 x per day 530 am and 6 pm.. I just dont like bile puke in the am before I go 2 work so I try 2 get him some food in his belly. I totally agree on the comment intact 10-18 months being picky both mine were/are. Hero is going 2 be 1 end of the month this fussy stuff just started 2 weeks ago --not fun!! Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I feed at about 10am & then again at 9 pm sometimes Buddy eats breakfast sometimes not everyone gets a little dog cookie before bed. I have always had big dogs always fed twice a day also have heard it helps keep them from bloating.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Gracie had a bit of this when she was at the fastest part of her growing.

I gave her a few biscuits right before bed and that cleared it right up. If I were feeding raw, I'd probably give 1/4 cup cottage cheese in lieu of dog treats/biscuits.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I feed Roxy and Kobie twice a day. I have the same problem with Roxy when I do not give her second meal late enough in the day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts