Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advise? My pup is a 6.5 months old male and has begun humping stuffed animals. I want some sound advise on how to handle correcting this behavior without mentally harming him. I know that it is natural but not sure what to do. I would like to keep him natural and not have him fixed although I do not intend to breed him as I am not a professional breeder and I understand the importance of helping the breed and not harming the breed. I want whats best for him as he is my best friend and he is unique. :confused:

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would pick a word that means stop (I use bummer), say it an unemotional tone, bummer and remove him from what he is doing. Then release. It will take a lot of consistency though.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Humping may be minimized or practically eliminated with 100% supervision (over time), and a verbval correction with toy redirection, as stated above.

Now my JOKE, of the day - if all else fails / group puppy counselling, may be in order...LOL...just pick your support group, very wisely.
- note / guy in back row...appears to have brought his 3 dates

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I have a 4 year old intact male that runs with females intact/spayed and doesn't hump them. He'd like to but won't because he knows it is not allowed. I got that through to him by physical/verbal correction from day one. Early on if he tried to mount any dog I would correct him with a stern "NO". If he pushed it I would immediately move towards him saying "NO" again. If he pushed it even more I would follow up the "NO" with grabbing his collar and pulling him off and put him into a down. All the while giving him the "the look".

NO and the look cover a multitude of sins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts