Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I've been spamming you with all my questions but this site is much better than googling for answers!

My 13wk old girl developed this huge lump on her head on Sunday afternoon. It wasn't there in the morning and there it was in the evening. We assumed it was from playing however I decided to book her in to the vet on Monday just incase. The vet wanted to wait a couple of days to see if the swelling subsided. Sake just had her appointment and the vet wants me to bring her back tomorrow for x-rays. Basically the lump hasn't gone down and I'm worried.

Sake has no pain, is playing normally, still very energetic and there is no change in her eating habits. However please look at the pics I've attached. The lump is huge!

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I would still go with a vet recommendation. If the vet said come in, then I would go in.

That said, it looks like your pup may have hit her noggin pretty hard. I have a 15 week old right now and her goose egg has just gone back to normal after a fall.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,422 Posts
I thought about the possibility of a hematoma too--bleeding under the skin, sometimes because of a bump or blow, sometimes just because.

Do you know anything about her parent's vonWillebrand status--are either or both of them carriers or affected by this bleeding disorder? (A genetic test can tell you, if the breeder had it done.)

If your vet thinks that is a possibility, be sure to do the genetic test (only necessary once)--you can order the test, do the cheek swab and send it away to the testing agency yourself. Any test the vet does in his office can tell you your puppy's bleeding status right at the moment (useful before a surgery, for example), but won't tell you whether your pup may have future bleeding problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about the possibility of a hematoma too--bleeding under the skin, sometimes because of a bump or blow, sometimes just because.

Do you know anything about her parent's vonWillebrand status--are either or both of them carriers or affected by this bleeding disorder? (A genetic test can tell you, if the breeder had it done.)
Not that I know of. I've been to the breeders many times and I've met her parents and grand parents. There aren't any problems with her big brother. All play and wrestle together, have few scraps and bumps and look fine. Having said that, I'm not sure if any are non symptomatic carriers. I really hope this isn't the case.

I was thinking hematoma also. The vet hasn't taken any fluid samples yet and wants to do the x-ray first. Sake will be in all day tomorrow so I'll ask the vet about the test.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had a HUGE hard swelling on Keegan's head when he was about 10 mos. old. It turned out to be an abcess from a foreign body that probably came in through his mouth. It took a long time to finally break open and drain. We did xrays and fluid samples as well as lots of antibiotics, but it had to run it's course. I thought it would never go back to normal. Now he has just a small scar where it drained. I hope yours is just a hematoma.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a HUGE hard swelling on Keegan's head when he was about 10 mos. old. It turned out to be an abcess from a foreign body that probably came in through his mouth. It took a long time to finally break open and drain. We did xrays and fluid samples as well as lots of antibiotics, but it had to run it's course. I thought it would never go back to normal. Now he has just a small scar where it drained. I hope yours is just a hematoma.
Wow. I hope Keegan wasn't in any pain during that long period. I would never thought a foreign body could do that.

Thanks. I hope it's a hematoma too. It's quite soft and the vet was gently pushing it and the area around it. It wasn't causing Sake any pain. I'm may request a genetic test for vWD if everything comes back negative.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update ::

Sake just got home from the vet after being there all day. The result is a large hematoma! We have no choice but to let the body mop it up in its own time.

Now I'm dealing with a very hyper puppy! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a young dobie (12 weeks) with the exact same bump size and location. We are worried as it has been there for 4 days now and wonder about taking her to the vet tomorrow. How is Sake doing now and has the lump gone away? Did you have to do anything other than wait? If gone, how long did it take to go away?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have a young dobie (12 weeks) with the exact same bump size and location. We are worried as it has been there for 4 days now and wonder about taking her to the vet tomorrow. How is Sake doing now and has the lump gone away? Did you have to do anything other than wait? If gone, how long did it take to go away?
Sake's lump took some time to go away, probably close to two weeks. She ended up having 3 vet visits just to make sure it wasn't serious. The vet was concerned about her fontanelle (soft spot) and if her skull was fractured. After x-rays and much prodding and pushing, it was a hematoma from a nasty bump to the head from playing with her big brother. We just had to let it go away on it own.

Sake didn't have any symptoms other than the lump. She was still hyper, running, playing. It wasn't sore.

I'd suggest taking your little one to the vet. Just to make sure. Please let me know how it goes and good luck!

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
And have you done the Von Willebrand's genetic test to make sure you know her status? I would recommend doing that soonest.

Reactions: Marieldobes
1 - 16 of 16 Posts