Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Life sure is a funny thing! My SO recently graduated from Pharmacy school, and our plan was to move to Florida, because I had a job offer down here... I moved down last week, while he stayed behind to tie up some ends in NY...

But now, he has been offered an incredibly job back in the Hudson Valley, and after much discusion, it looks like we will be moving back/staying there after all :confused:

Now here comes the dobe related issue... Mariano will be entering the world in about a week and a half, and we are so very excited to finally bring him into our home... but the issue is, we had a home arranged in Florida that allows dobes NOT NY!

I have 10 weeks to find us a place to live that will allow a doberman puppy, and a cat, and it is starting to look a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. A large apartment would do, though I was hoping to rent a house.

Any suggestions on how to approach this with landlords? I have called a few places, and they say they allow large breeds, but then they ask what specific breed I have... when I say doberman, they either gasp and say NO WAY! NO AGRESSIVE BREEDS! Or they simply hand up on me.

Super nervous and hoping to find some guidance or ideas on how to go about finding a home.

We are looking to stay within 25 miles of Poughkeepsie (where the job is)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Good luck and keep looking! You will find the perfect place, it just takes extra effort. It may be best/easier to try and rent from an individual rather than a company or leasing agent. Rental agencies usually have so many policies and are less lenient than if you were renting from an individual who may give you the option of a "pet interview" and/or vet references.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your support... its pretty rough thinking we might not have a place to live lol... but I have until september first to find a place, so there is still some time.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I would contact the DPC, Tappan Zee. Perhaps someone at the club can give you some insight on dobe/cat friendly rentals. I would also contact real estate companies. Some have rental departments.

DPCTZ Home

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was considering an agent... seems they probably do this all the time. But I will def be contacting that dpc, that is a great idea that never crossed my mind. I had asked my vet back there to ask around, but it has not really helped too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts