Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally conviced John to go to agility class last night, against his will.

Wel he told me when we got home that he wants a dog for himself. A male black/rust stud prospect. He said he would take it to taining.:eek2: Wow. I almost choked. He's always saying that all the training I do with Emma is alot of money.

This is great. Im actualy really excited. He said he wants one in a year because we will have our own place by then.

Here's were it gets interesting. I told him about Nello's Lex Luther because he's in Jazz's pedigree. Well, he wants a dog from them. A lex Luther son, talk about aiming high. I told him I would e-mail them and get some more info on their breeding program and such, wich I did. Im just waiting for a reply. Has anyone delt with them or knows someone who delt with them? What are they like?

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the 10th of April. But we wont bring another dog home fore about a year after Jazz

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That pup is going to bond with your other two dogs, more than you. It's attention will be on them over you. (or your boyfriend, as you say it is for him, which is even less fair to him, being a novice, not that you are experienced, but I'd bet he is even less so). Training will be harder with the more dogs you have in the household, especially young ones. And training is all the time, everyday, not just when you go to class.
I am fully aware that it wil be a challenge. It's not like we will be doing it alone.

Now you are saving for the down payment on a house in a year, BUT do you know what the expense is for three dogs? Especially show expenses on top of regular care? And dobermans eat more than a beagle, so a good high quality kibble for three dogs, probable supplements, medical upkeep, not to mention any health problems that seem to pop up when you least expect it. I have three large dogs I know the cost. And I work so much that I would have loved to have Lex titled in OB by now, but my schedule doesn't permit it. Heartworm preventative alone keeps me from buying a new car
I will be going down to casual work in April. Wich meens I work as much or as little as I want. Depending on the training schedual

I don't know what the two of you do for a living, but I remember being your age, in our first apartment, and yikes, there is no way I could pay for all that. I hope your young fiancée has a pretty lucrative job lined up out of high school, then if he does, where does he get the time for training and possible showing of a young dog?
I am insulted you think we are still in High School. Rght now we live in a 3 bedroom townhouse and are moving to rent a house in May. Yes he has a well paying job. He is an experiance Granite/Tile/Marble setter. He only works 8am - 3pm. I worked 630am-630pm and still had time to train. He will have the time and the money

You'll of course want to make sure that your new house has a fenced in yard with three dogs, esp the beagle being how beagles can be, mine is just a little fenced area filled with pea gravel so there is no mud, my cost on that was about $850 - $950 not to mention the labor we supplied. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a house with the yard already fenced, doubt it though, as you can't walk away from a good house within a good price range in a good neighborhood b/c it doesn't have a fence.
I know. It is going to be 6foot high solid wood with locked gates. It's bugeted for.

Don't take offense to this, I, with other's I'm sure, just want to you really think this through before committing and spending more money than you have already put out, and giving your future dogs the best life and chances possible.
I do see you points. But I am not even going to put a disposit down on a pup for a YEAR. It's not like I am getting one now

I don't know anything about that breeder you mentioned, but I don't know anything about a lot of them. But if in fact it is a high caliber reputable breeder, chances are you aren't going to qualify for a dog anyway given your situation. I'm surprised the breeder you picked now is giving you a pup, but when you spoke of the breeding rights, I guess it all clicked for me.
Did you ever think that maybe he trusts me and has seen the work I put in at handling classes on HIS dogs so that I can learn to do it properly?!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.