Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband got home on Saturday and we got home to our house and picked up Gunner on Tuesday. At first Gunner wasn't too sure what to think, which I know is typical dobe behavior. He wasn't aggressive, but kept his distance for a few minutes to this strange man in his house. My husband ignored him and allowed him to approach when he was ready. Within twenty minutes Gunner was relaxed and running up to my husband to get petted :) He is still somewhat unsure of the male voice though. He will be in another room (usually with me) and if he hears my husband playing with the kids or talking loudly, he will get his big boy bark and act concerned. As soon as he sees that it's my husband, he's okay. I think he just needs to get used to having this other human in the house. He's shown some protective behavior to me and the kids, which we are both actually happy with. As soon as he's told though, he stops and has no problem jumping up on the couch with hubby for a cuddle at night. Overall I think everything is going great.

He got neutered on Monday and weighs 70.0 lbs at 6 months!!! Vet assures me he's not one bit overweight...just a big boy. The vet staff fell in love with him and say he's one of the nicest dobes they've ever seen. They loved his personality :)

I'll get pics and post as I can. For now, I'm enjoying these few short weeks with hubby being home. Merry Christmas to everyone!!! :D

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
This brought a tear to my eye that your husband is home and Christmas will be wonderful..................family is priceless!!! It's normal for Gunner to be watchful over you and the kids.....Gunner is a handsome dobe.:)Enjoy the time together...Merry Christmas !!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Today Gunner seems to have accepted hubby as a family member and has been following him around and giving him nose pokies...we all know that means you're officially owned by a Doberman :) Since he was just neutered on Monday we are keeping play sessions indoors and limited, but they are loving playing together. Micah (my husband) can't get over how quiet and laid back Gunner is. Since we raised the malinois last year, he says Gun is a nice change of pace. I'll get pics soon!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm excited for you and your family to have your husband home for xmas, much love to you and your family. Odin sends nose pokes ;)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When my son-in-law returned from Iraq I was really worried that Kiss would not remember him. Kiss was VERY cautious around him, thank goodness he was so tired he was more in zombie mode. She did the crazy barking and jumping in the air around him, but he just left her alone and she came around. Now, and they are moving across country, when she's around him she really likes him. She doesn't have many men in her life so she's wary of them.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts