Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of this product before? It's called Quick Brace by a breeder near Knoxville, TN (House of Hoytt). I've heard great things about it from a breeder nearby who swears by it.

Quick Brace System

Axel hasn't been too bothered by the postings I do, but they don't last very long because he's so active now and wrasslin' with the GSD doesn't help.

I would love to hear from any who has used this product or something similar.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm not wild about the position of the ears when they are in the brace. I think it could potentially ruin a nice crop. Plus, the picture of the pup's ears stabled to the brace would turn me off of the product.

Try pm'ing DoubleDogDare. She has a Hoytt boy and might have used one on him.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So other than it's a Hoytt product...any reasons to like or not like it?

RottenVonSpotten, what concerns you about the position? Is it likely to cause pockets or something? Still a problem considering my pup is already 16 weeks old?

(I had never heard of Hoytt until hearing of this product yesterday so that's not a bias for me.)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This brace thingy is done immediately after cropping. I hope you don't plan to crop at 16 weeks, if you haven't already.

RottenVonSpotten, what concerns you about the position? Is it likely to cause pockets or something? Still a problem considering my pup is already 16 weeks old?

(I had never heard of Hoytt until hearing of this product yesterday so that's not a bias for me.)

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have to chuckle every time I see something about this brace. In 1968 my Father made one for a puppy we had then. He made it out of coat hangers, some heavy duty space age foam, tape and.....??? It looked just like the Hoytt model.

Anyway, it worked well enough, but it became evident in short order that it definitely is not safe. It took Trina 30 minutes to get it caught on something, had we not been right there, could have been a disaster.

I don't care who makes it or where it comes from, I would recommend that you stick with posting and not take a chance with this contraption.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

I like really straight ears, from base to tip, like PatchworkRobot's boy. The ears in the pictures appear to have an inward curved shape, like a crescent moon. The brace looks like it could ruin a nice crop.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
A couple of points:

1. The text states that you may have to redo the brace a few times before the dog decides that it is comfortable. I have found that generally it is only the first few postings that I have to redo until the dog gets used to them. After that I have no trouble.

2. I don't like bracing across the top of the ears (only at the bottom, if at all)--it is too easy for the pup to catch his ears on something and pull his way out in panic.

3. I think the following objections are for the most part exaggerated--these problems can generally be avoided with proper posting (who tapes a dobe's throat when they are posting?)

"Since the Quick Brace™ can be applied without the need to encircle the ear with tape, the worry of too tight taping, cutting circulation to the upper part of the ear, inflammation on the hair side of the ears or around the head has been eliminated. And no taping is needed that puts pressure on the dogs throat."

4. Most failed ear crops are either due to a poor job done by the vet, or the owner's failure to follow through with the posting--quiting too early or leaving the ears down too long. Not all, mind you--there are some failures through no fault of anyone involved.

"Inexpensive by comparison than the average cost of failed or successful stance surgeries ( primary and secondary costs average $600.00 plus )."

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This brace thingy is done immediately after cropping. I hope you don't plan to crop at 16 weeks, if you haven't already.
Axel's ears are already cropped. I'm currently using Zephyr's method that I found on here for posting, but they don't last very long, barely 48 hours.

I guess I'll keep looking for more solutions.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Can you explain why it's not lasting? Are the posts popping out of the ear canal?

Axel's ears are already cropped. I'm currently using Zephyr's method that I found on here for posting, but they don't last very long, barely 48 hours.

I guess I'll keep looking for more solutions.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Multiple reasons. If it's not one thing it's another.

It's been raining a lot here lately so they get wet.

I was wrapping tape all the way to the bottom of the post, but the glue from the tape was coming off in his ears and getting really messy and irritating for him. So I started only taping to the top of the bumper, which means there's not a lot of tape to hold the post in his ear. He has it off within minutes, so I have to keep re-posting it until I'm able to get him distracted long enough for him to leave them in and forget about them.

Playing with the GSD outside they get dirty, and I don't want to risk infection in his ears so I redo the posts.

Maybe my expectations for perfect posts are too high?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Some people will put a plastic bag (like from Target) on their dog's head when it's raining and they need to go pee. It's funny looking but works.

What tape are you using? Maybe try another tape. I used Zonas tape back in the day.

It takes some time to master ear posting so I'd keep at it. Did you look through this thread to see if anyone can help you in your area? http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...ll-help-new-owners-ears-please-post-here.html

Multiple reasons. If it's not one thing it's another.

It's been raining a lot here lately so they get wet.

I was wrapping tape all the way to the bottom of the post, but the glue from the tape was coming off in his ears and getting really messy and irritating for him. So I started only taping to the top of the bumper, which means there's not a lot of tape to hold the post in his ear. He has it off within minutes, so I have to keep re-posting it until I'm able to get him distracted long enough for him to leave them in and forget about them.

Playing with the GSD outside they get dirty, and I don't want to risk infection in his ears so I redo the posts.

Maybe my expectations for perfect posts are too high?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The plastic sack idea is good, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm using medical cloth tape (by Nexcare) that I got at CVS. I couldn't find anything called "zonas" tape here. (When looking for other posting supplies, I went into Home Depot and asked where to find the "backer rod" and people looked at me like I was speaking Greek. I ended up getting "caulk saver", which I think is the same thing?)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You can purchase Zonas online. I use this place a lot: Zonas Adhesive Tape | Pet Supplies, Horse Supplies, Dog Supplies | KVsupply.com

I never head backer rod called 'caulk saver' so not sure if it's the same product.

The plastic sack idea is good, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm using medical cloth tape (by Nexcare) that I got at CVS. I couldn't find anything called "zonas" tape here. (When looking for other posting supplies, I went into Home Depot and asked where to find the "backer rod" and people looked at me like I was speaking Greek. I ended up getting "caulk saver", which I think is the same thing?)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! I posted Axel's ears like an hour ago, let him and the GSD play for 5 minutes and I see Axel prancing by me carrying one of his posts in his mouth.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.