Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

This is my first post although I have been looking at threads for a long time!

I have a now 21 week old Doberman girl called Khaleesi!

She's very intelligent and has learnt so quickly. I'm teaching her a new thing every week or two now.. Which means training has slowed down recently as I'm running out of things to teach. I've clicker trained from the beginning.

Things she can do:
Sit, down, sit/stay, down/stay, speak, stand, left paw, right paw, left turn, right turn, heel*, through legs, touch, up on furniture, off, door manners, wait for food, come when called

Bang play dead - sometimes I have to ask a few times and she's often quite vocal with this, she is reluctant to do this on a wooden floor and is nearly 100% reliable on carpets
Crawl - I stopped with this as again.. She doesn't like doing this on the wooden floor.

* heel is reliable indoors, when we're outdoors in the park she looses interest, but I haven't really tried it often.

Walking on a leash was terrible at first, I tried a lot of things to get her to stop pulling but spraying her with a water bottle, tugging her back a bit and saying no has helped completely. I don't get her to walk next to my heel as I just enjoy walking her. I can get her to heel whilst walking but she pulls a little bit. I know people say she shouldn't walk in front, what are your opinions on this? She will sit when at the edge of roads and listens to me.

In the park and whilst out walking she wants to say hi to EVERYONE. She does come back when called about 80% of the time.. But obviously not if another dog is more interesting! She also does jump up at people occasionally which is so annoying! Because of this I've had to put her on a retractable lead when it's busy just because it's embarrassing. It's even more frustrating because she will jump up at people and they'll end up saying "oh don't worry I love dogs I have (insert number) amount of dogs at home" and they'll give her so much attention! It won't be cute when she is massive.

She's 25kg at the moment and haven't measured her height.

How do you think I'm getting on?

She is mine and my boyfriends first dog together, although we both have loads of dogs at home so are very comfortable with them.

She's also getting very protective over the house and garden and will bark at strange noises which I find very amusing and cute! She will stop when I tell her to so I don't think it's a problem.

She's also been on quite a lot of antibiotics as she's had a slight staph infection on her skin.. Just a few little spots but still a problem. It's given her a bit of diarrhoea since she's stopped her course the past few days but I've been giving her yoghurt. Her poops were often on the runnier side anyway. She has burns puppy food (think this is just a UK brand).

Sorry for all the information!

Thanks for reading - fran :)

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
I don't know how the in-person classes are in your area, but there is an on-line school called Fenzi Dog Sports Academy Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - About us that might interest you. The session just started on the first, and there are several classes suited to younger or "beginner" dogs. With classes starting at $65 US, they are a real bargain. There is also a section of retired classes starting at $50 US, one of which is a tricks class.

Reactions: bigfootlives

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Personally I'd work on her manners more rather than tricks. Dogs don't generalize well. Just because she will heel inside doesn't mean she knows heel means heel outside. You need to proof these things in a variety of settings. The jumping is a big no no for us. What if she jumped on a child? Or an elderly person? 5 months is still very young and your dog hasn't it the 'teenage years' yet. I'd keep proofing and practicing a variety of things in as many different settings as possible. Group classes are great for this!

I'm also sort of concerned you let your dog off leash. Especially one that doesn't have a reliable recall and jumps on people. If someone's random dog at the park charged me and jumped on me it would get a swift knee in the chest. I don't like strange dogs jumping on me or my dog (it's happened). You should keep your dog on leash at all times when out in public.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
I somehow missed the part about the unreliable recall. Don't let her off lead at all if there is a chance that she won't come when she's called. And for the love of everyone's body parts, don't use a retractable lead. Those things are dangerous, especially the ones that use a thin cord. Get that sucker wrapped around a leg or hand, and you will regret it. Get a 30 to 50 foot long training lead made out of cotton, leather, or synthetic leather instead.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Sounds like you're doing very well with her. :)

You just need to work on the heel in different environments and work on the jumping on people. There's an excellent positive training book by Pat Miller, The Power of Positive Training, that you and Khaleesi would benefit from. It covers a lot of problem behaviours.

If she is jumping on people and not heeling properly, you should be using a regular leash so you have more control. I agree with using the long line with her when you want to let her run around. She must not be given the opportunity to blow off your commends, especially the come command. Tell her to come ONCE and then haul her in to you if she ignores the command. Reward her when she gets to you with a treat. It's a huge step backward everytime she is allowed to ignore a command. Do not repeat your commands either. Say the command once and wait for her to obey, even if it takes a bit. Every time you repeat a command it's letting her blow off the first one. She must think she has no choice about obeying and you should be more interesting(treat) than what's going on around her. Always end your training with her success snd wanting more. Make yhe sessions short. Get that book! :)

Getting her into a good positive dog training class with others would be very good for you both.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only let her off the lead when we're in a confined space alone like a small park. She is reliable but not 100%. I have a long training lead and a 5m retractable lead that I've only used a few times as I don't really like them myself :).

So do you think if I just keep her on a short lead and don't let her jump up at people she will eventually stop?
Thank you for the replies! :)

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Teach her an alternative to jumping. Having her sit or down before she can be petted would be best (hard to jump on someone when you're lying down), but even just teaching that "four on the floor" is the only way she will get attention works. When people tell me "oh, I don't mind" if my dog jumps on them, I just tell them that I do mind, and walk off.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I only let her off the lead when we're in a confined space alone like a small park. She is reliable but not 100%. I have a long training lead and a 5m retractable lead that I've only used a few times as I don't really like them myself :).

So do you think if I just keep her on a short lead and don't let her jump up at people she will eventually stop?
Thank you for the replies! :)
Teach her an alternative to jumping. Having her sit or down before she can be petted would be best (hard to jump on someone when you're lying down), but even just teaching that "four on the floor" is the only way she will get attention works. When people tell me "oh, I don't mind" if my dog jumps on them, I just tell them that I do mind, and walk off.
Rosemary's idea is very good. I had a girl who was horrendous for jumping up. I trained her to sit. When I would come home, etc, and she would come for me I would tell her to sit. Worked like a charm and became a habit for her. Anytime she met someone she would go up and sit in front of them for pets. Impressed the heck out of people. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts