Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Two puppers
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

New member here - from Pennsylvania. My name is Shelby and we recently added a Doberman to our family. We weren't really looking for another dog, we have a 4yr old Belgian Tervuren and we were okay being a single dog family.

However my cousin wanted a puppy for her kids, she has three of them and the eldest is only six years old. They have never had a dog before and I get the feeling she was under the impression that a puppy would just sort of figure out things on it's own - this of course didn't happen. They purchased a dobie puppy from someone who imported her or got her from a breeder with imported parents - not too sure on that.

Anyway - she is five months old now and the first person who had her was moving, not sure if that is true or not. My cousin had her for two weeks and gave up and so now she is with us. Cousin told me she was impossible to potty train and just peed everywhere and is a health risk and basically said if I didn't take her she was going to "get rid of her" - still not entirely clear on that. We're missing a lot of information really, I don't get along with my cousin. She only contacted me because my Mom suggested we might be interested in the puppy since we had another dog. We decided to drive up to NH and get her because we would already be her third home and she is just a baby and needs to stop bouncing around. We basically drove up, stuffed her in the car and ran for it - before any of their crazy could rub off on us.

Turns out she is not impossible to potty train she just has a massive UTI and has been just dribbling pee everywhere uncontrollably. She is on meds now and doing a lot better. She was also wormy so we had that taken care of as well.

Despite having a rocky start she is absolutely the smartest puppy I have ever been around and pretty much unfazed by anything. Gets along great with our Terv, love my teenagers, and really enjoyed ripping up my blueberry bushes and decorating the lawn with them (I will replace them in a couple years when she is less chewy!)

Anyway, Looking forward to obsessively reading back posts and learning what I can! I have managed to sort of get the hang of ear posting by watching several youtube videos on it.
Though I imagine her ears won't be perfect - but we'll muddle through and love her just the same!

Shelby & Eda the Owl Puppy (and Ezra the hairball)

·
Big Lil pup
6,168 Posts
Hi Ab,,, And welcome to you and your family from the Pacific NW.

Well, you could not have landed in a better place than DT given your "new"household status! Here you will find as much help, info and support as you are willing to ask for vis a vis your new girl. Regarding posting... You will discover several excellent permanent threads on the subject in Forums under Ear Cropping and Posting.

This visual tutorial, put together by member greenkouki is the best I've ever seen and a great place to start:

Visit again soon!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Big welcome from Florida.
You will love this breed but they are powerful.
Thanks for this rescue and for this we shall deem you “The good Cousin”.
We are all very dedicated to this breed so feel free to start new thread sand ask away.
Frenzi Dog Sports Academy is a great online source for training information and techniques.
Not to mention “US” we love to give advise!!!
So welcome to your new home of Dobie friends.
Big snort and many pokes !!!!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,149 Posts
Welcome to DT from Colorado.

Thank you for providing a home for the pupper. It sounds like she's found a good place to land. And she'll repay you with lots of love—congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
21,310 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome! Congrats! And Bless You for saving this little girl! Poor thing with the UTI ! Glad you got her before it got worse and before she was bounced around to more homes!
cant wait to see pics! We love pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts