Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

Being a long time Rottweiler owners ( we lost our last 2, within 32 days of each other, due to lymphoma and a disc that protruded the spinal cord at age 5) we felt it may be time for a change. Me and my wife have always loved the Doberman, but have never owned one or two...or three.

Recently we purchased 2 Dobies, black and rust, brother and sister ( we have a habit of buying siblings ;) ), and we find ourselves entering a whole new world with a new breed.

We were attracted to the Dobie due to their high intellectual abilities, loyality and fantasic looks.

Living in a very rural setting, how do Dobies handle "farm life"? We have 32 acres of private forest, trailed and over 200 acres of field to run (all fenced), albiet, we prefer not to let our animals out of sight.

We decieded to have his ears cropped, and let hers go natural, so any pointers with post surgery taping/posting would be great as well. :)

I look forward to posting on here and getting to know some local people and getting sound advice.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hello everybody.

Being a long time Rottweiler owners ( we lost our last 2, within 32 days of each other, due to lymphoma and a disc that protruded the spinal cord at age 5) we felt it may be time for a change. Me and my wife have always loved the Doberman, but have never owned one or two...or three.

Recently we purchased 2 Dobies, black and rust, brother and sister ( we have a habit of buying siblings ;) ), and we find ourselves entering a whole new world with a new breed.

We were attracted to the Dobie due to their high intellectual abilities, loyality and fantasic looks.

Living in a very rural setting, how do Dobies handle "farm life"? We have 32 acres of private forest, trailed and over 200 acres of field to run (all fenced), albiet, we prefer not to let our animals out of sight.

We decieded to have his ears cropped, and let hers go natural, so any pointers with post surgery taping/posting would be great as well. :)

I look forward to posting on here and getting to know some local people and getting sound advice.
Welcome to DT :) I suggest you fasten your seatbelt, place your tray in the upright position and hang on because it's going to be a bit bumpy.... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggest you fasten your seatbelt, place your tray in the upright position and hang on because it's going to be a bit bumpy.... :)
This seems to be a common statement. :)

We always thought young Rottweilers were a handful, but I think they may just get a decent challenge.

:nicejob:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Our Dobermans and our GSD LOVE farm life! We have 27 acres and I have a few Show horses.
My Dobie and GSD are integrated into every part of our life. They know my routine and go bananas if left inside when I go to the barn.
I couldn't think of a more perfect home for your new babies. All that room to run will give them a chance to burn off steam and also built their muscles and strength naturally. Fresh air certainly helps them sleep as well.
I don't let my dogs run unless I'm outside for fear of them taking off after a deer or getting in trouble. Dobermans have an excellent sence of smell and they will pursue other critters.
I have also found my girls really love routine. Its easy for me because the horses dictate most of our outside time. My dogs are always in the barn with me, rolling in the hay and watching whats going on.
Your dogs are very lucky. I see many years of fun ahead for your family.:D

ps, of course Dobies are really inside dogs, and do NOT do well outside 24/7.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Interesting. I have never heard of Littermate Syndrome, but have heard of Same Sex Aggression.

This Littermate Syndrome has made me reflect on previous dogs we/I have owned, as well has friends, who have had 2 siblings. I can not recall any serious issues, all of them have had different personalities, some strong, some timid etc, and all have bonded quite well to us. 1 advantage is that we are always around, working from home, so dedicating vast amount of time could have helped. The only thing I have noticed, is when, 1 of the pair passes away, the other shortly follows, from usually a different ailment/injury. Perhaps it's physcological?

Also, perhaps there may have been mild forms of it, but we certainly have not encountered anything. Is this Syndrome applied to only various breeds? As of now, I can think of atleast 5 people who currently own siblings that are well into their mid-senior years, and they haven't mentioned anything about this.

Thanks for the information, and I will definately enquire about it.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
As you are well aware, rotties have health problems that can shorten their lives, so do Dobermans. Did you research the breeder to see if they health checked their parents? If not, you may want to get right to health testing so you have a good baseline on your dogs health (every owner should do this, but if health history is iffy, it's a pressing matter). As your dog ages, your going to have to test for VWD, DCM, Hypothyroidism, hips, elbows, neck (wobblers), and the usual routine check up. DCM is a killer in this breed and many owners holter their dogs once every two years.

As for farm life, they don't like to stay away from their owners, they can develop separation anxiety, and never leave them outside alone and exposed to the elements. They have thin skin, so you will notice scratches and nicks. In colder weather make sure they wear a coat, and always check their ears for frostbite, especially the cropped one. Their prey drive will vary from dog to dog, but generally they are quite high, so if you have chickens or sheeps, make sure to expose them at an early age.

Good luck with raising your two pups, and I thought one is a handful! Pictures would be great :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The person we bought the dogs off used to be very heavy into breeding Registered Dobermans. She was showing us pictures and VHS tapes ( lol ) of her at shows in her younger years, along with trophies, ribbons etc.

Apprently a very nasty divorce put that on hold back then. The dogs are not papered. however judging from her farm ( it's very very well kept), we don't think money is the object. She stated she doesn't breed very much. Once every 2 years or so.

She knows the bloodline(s) going back generations, all have lived quite long lives with mild problems into their later years.

Indeed, Rotts have serious health issues, ED/HD/Cancer, so we're quite prepared for anything that may happen years from now. We do not allow our dogs to stay out for long periods in the winter, they can come in and out as they please.

Thanks for the info and we will post pictures.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
Seriously, if money were no object to this breeder, the dogs would be registered. It's one of the cheapest aspects to breeding Dobermans. If she can't be bothered to do that, I imagine there are a number of other important things she can't be bothered with.

·
Registered
57 Posts
sounds like your dobes will have a wonderful life on your farm. im in south western ontario and my pup is loving this warmer weather finally coming around. Enjoy your two pups!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Howdy from Ontario? lol...

Howdy from Texas :)

Congrats on your new dobermans but please stick around, you will learn a lot and be educated and better prepared for the next time around about breeders.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Hello from Brampton Ontario!

Welcome to DT and please if you can, post some pictures of your new babies. We love puppies no matter where they are from!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

Everydog or breeder that I have met, or seen online, as soon as they are registered, they want good cash.

Simply, as soon as the word Registered is thrown around, the price is higher, it seems?

From a silly standpoint, it seems people harp on backyard breeders wanting cash only, whereas Registering a dog throws the price through the roof, with what advantage? 1 year money back options? HD/ED clearance etc?

Talking to various people (vet included, my cousin owns a practice in Upstate NY), most have never heard of Littermate Syndrome, and laughed it off as code for people not raising pups properly. Seems that subject is open to interptation?

Once again, thanks to those who welcomed me. To those who have not welcomed me, instead railed backyard breeders, so be it, the dogs could be going to idiots who beat them etc.

Silly people.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
many vets are not knowledgeable on bred specific issues. In dobes littermates can have issues, I know all too well. I have littermates, male/female. Fights are frequent here, I have multiple dobes but when there are fights, it is ALWAYS them. I have to keep a close eye on them, and I never leave them alone together. There were no problems in the first year, but now its once every few months, and then there will be a couple of episodes.
I know I'm not the only one on this forum who has experienced this syndrome. It is real. but like all rules, there are exceptions.

Thanks for the welcome.

Everydog or breeder that I have met, or seen online, as soon as they are registered, they want good cash.

Simply, as soon as the word Registered is thrown around, the price is higher, it seems?

From a silly standpoint, it seems people harp on backyard breeders wanting cash only, whereas Registering a dog throws the price through the roof, with what advantage? 1 year money back options? HD/ED clearance etc?

Talking to various people (vet included, my cousin owns a practice in Upstate NY), most have never heard of Littermate Syndrome, and laughed it off as code for people not raising pups properly. Seems that subject is open to interptation?

Once again, thanks to those who welcomed me. To those who have not welcomed me, instead railed backyard breeders, so be it, the dogs could be going to idiots who beat them etc.

Silly people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi from Toronto!

Congrats on your new dober kids! You will have your hands full but in such a good way. Sounds like they have a great home. Can't wait to see pics!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts