Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone, my name is Carl and I'm from Indianapolis, IN. I am currently in school getting my degree in Computer Science as well as getting 7 certifications in the field of IT. I love dogs and have always loved dogs. I have always been partial to Dobes however and really really want to experience having one. I don't consider it "owning" as I think my dogs and I are on the same level. :)

I did want to ask one question as I was reading around on the "newbie" forums and some of the guidelines and such. I read about BYB and the issues with that and was looking at buying a Doberman from Desert Legend - Home of the Supersized Doberman Pinscher. I read their site, sent an email, received a call from Suzan who does the breeding and got all of the information. I came back and googled "super sized doberman's" and what do you know...I got this. http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/2156-super-sized-doberman.html I was very excited but I started reading and it seemed one person after another just really shot down the whole business and concept. Since I am a "newb" at what I should know about a Doberman Pinscher, I am wondering why exactly there was so much negativity towards that site. I understand size and speed and agility don't all come in a package deal and all that, but I guess I am wondering what is all they hype with show dog this and show dog that? I would never ever want to show my dog for any reason, unless showing it is posting pics online so people can see it. I couldn't care less what other people think of my dog or how they rate it. As long as he is loyal to me and is right for me, that's all that matters. So, I guess after reading some of the forums I'm still kind of lost.

I'm going to end this here and please, if I have posted something wrong or that I didn't read right in the forum or rules, let me know so I can correct myself. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot. I have read some amazing stuff on here so far and am already impressed at the wealth of knowledge. :biggrin55:

Thanks everyone, and God bless.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Welcome to DT :wavey:

What exactly are you looking for in a dobe? There are a lot of knowledgeable people that can guide you to wards and excellent pet.

Responsible breeders work at producing excellent dogs that conform to the standard of the ideal doberman.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thank you very much for your reply. In my doberman I am looking for loyalty which...does it get any better than a Doberman for that? :) I am also more concerned about speed and agility than size, however, I would like it to appear somewhat "scary" as it will be a family guard dog as well. I won't really be showing it so I guess that's not so important. I definitely like black over red and yea, other than that, I really would have to just have someone kind of lead me through what else I need to be looking at. I know bloodlines have a lot to do with it, and I'm definitely not going to get something less "noble" because of price. A good dog is priceless so that's not an issue. The whole American or European I'm kind of lost at. Is one larger than the other? I know European dogs were originally more "vicious" as they were used for guard dogs and the such...but other than that....I'm kind of stumped. Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
Welcome! Since you are looking for a family pet, I bet the health of your dobe will be of utmost importance. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the DPCA breed standard, diseases common to the breed, and do consider them when searching for a breeder (ie: make sure proper health testing is done on breeding animals and that they are being bred to better the health of future dobes). Be sure to support responsible breeding! Responsible breeders are helping to preserve and better the future of the breed, and you can be a part in their success.
here are a few links to check out:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/8780-breeders-breeding.html
http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/8776-off-site-educational-links.html
You might also consider adopting a rescue doberman in need of a great home like yours... that is a whole other subject entirely though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply as well. I am actually just sending an email to Botrina Doberman's - Bonnie Dunlap right now. From what I can tell, health is extremely important to her. I am also looking into the DPCA standard right now and will not go to bed until I am knowledgeable on it. :) I have read the http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/8780-breeders-breeding.html list there and that's how I came up with Botrina Doberman's. I really liked what I saw...Once again, thank you for the help and tips. :)

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Bonnie is a wonderful, knowledgeable breeder and show person. She knows the breed very well. She has told me that she will not be breeding any time soon, although she had hoped to - but she one of the great people whose brains to pick.

If you like the look of the slightly denser boned, more substantial Dobes, you can get very good and serious-looking Doberkids from breeders who not only show their dogs, but also work them. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive - and many of us are really trying to encourage the return to the time when the standard of any breed included their ability to do what they were bred to do! But when you get people who breed giant Dobermans, just like those who breed Pomeranians that fit into a tea cup, the exaggeration can negatively impact their health and functionality. An overly large Doberman is not going to be as fast or agile as one who is the correct balance - and it runs a higher risk of having joint and hip problems, and other

Another website to look at, just as an example, might be Kansadobe. As you go through the forum threads, you will find a lot of breeders, and many display their website info or link. Just poke around! Have you considered rescue? Well, welcome from San Diego, and good luck in your search!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lolonurse,

Thank you for those tips and help. I will go to the site and "poke" around. :) Also, that kind of stinks that she won't be breeding soon but hopefully I can still get some good insight from her. I guess honestly, yes I do want the dog to look big in a way, but if he/she is fast (I still don't know if I should go male or female...so many arguments going through my head about that one lol)...I really see myself going for that over the "whoa, he/she looks mean" look. Once again, thanks for the helpful tidbits....you guys and gals are awesome on this site. Been a few hours and I've already been overloaded with info...just awesome!

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
lolonurse,

Thank you for those tips and help. I will go to the site and "poke" around. :) Also, that kind of stinks that she won't be breeding soon but hopefully I can still get some good insight from her. I guess honestly, yes I do want the dog to look big in a way, but if he/she is fast (I still don't know if I should go male or female...so many arguments going through my head about that one lol)...I really see myself going for that over the "whoa, he/she looks mean" look. Once again, thanks for the helpful tidbits....you guys and gals are awesome on this site. Been a few hours and I've already been overloaded with info...just awesome!
A well bred doberman will have an elegant yet unique appearance, which might seem intimidating to those unfamiliar with the breed. Just the sight or sound from any doberman should be enough to deter any sort of suspicious activity around your home. Obviously your dobe should not take the place of an alarm system or personal protection device. He should be a companion/family member first and foremost. Although I do not know Bonnie Dunlap, I do know one of her dogs and his owner (who posts here on DT)... and he's a great example of the breed. I actually think there are a couple Botrina dobe owners on here. Have fun on your search :biggrin55:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
greenkouki,

Thank you for your post. I most definitely will not be using my dog as an alarm system or some sort of safety feature. If my dog can protect me, then awesome. But dogs are companions...that's what's in their blood. Some more than others, and definitely with the Doberman breed. Thanks for the help...maybe I can track down a couple of these Botrina Dobe owners here...I did look at Wittrock Doberman's as well...I really would like to find some breeders in the area...the area being the US as honestly, I'll go where I need to in order to get the dog I want.

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Howdy back at ya, Carl!

but I guess I am wondering what is all they hype with show dog this and show dog that? I would never ever want to show my dog for any reason, unless showing it is posting pics online so people can see it. I couldn't care less what other people think of my dog or how they rate it.
And as a pet owner, that is totally your prerogative! :) Someone who is breeding Dobermans, however, needs to go above and beyond to prove that their dogs are indeed quality, breed worthy animals. Showing is one way to go about doing this. Training/competing in performance venues is another. When there is no evidence of either on a breeder's website, it is easy to assume that they are not serious about proving or evaluating the quality of their breeding stock, ignoring the breed standard, skimping on other areas such as health testing, or are breeding with other goals in mind (ie: profit vs. preserving the breed).

Kudos on researching beforehand! Quite refreshing !! Good luck !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heya wantsaDobe,

Thank you for your comment. Yea, the more I read up and get knowledge the more I understand why it is important as a "breeder" to prove your dog...and it's line. Not as a single pet owner or whatever...as you stated. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I did want to ask one question as I was reading around on the "newbie" forums and some of the guidelines and such. I read about BYB and the issues with that and was looking at buying a Doberman from Desert Legend - Home of the Supersized Doberman Pinscher. I read their site, sent an email, received a call from Suzan who does the breeding and got all of the information. I came back and googled "super sized doberman's" and what do you know...I got this. http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/2156-super-sized-doberman.html I was very excited but I started reading and it seemed one person after another just really shot down the whole business and concept. Since I am a "newb" at what I should know about a Doberman Pinscher, I am wondering why exactly there was so much negativity towards that site. I understand size and speed and agility don't all come in a package deal and all that, but I guess I am wondering what is all they hype with show dog this and show dog that? I would never ever want to show my dog for any reason, unless showing it is posting pics online so people can see it. I couldn't care less what other people think of my dog or how they rate it. As long as he is loyal to me and is right for me, that's all that matters. So, I guess after reading some of the forums I'm still kind of lost.

Thanks everyone, and God bless.
Hello there Carl and welcome! I think the reason people are so negative on Desert Legend has little to do with dog shows, but everything to do with responsible breeding practices. That mentioned kennel doesn't do health testing (which is a huge problem in this breed), they don't compete AT ALL with their dogs (how do they know if they are breed quality) and state that they don't breed within the standard. That kind of practice just doesn't jive with me.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello there Carl and welcome! I think the reason people are so negative on Desert Legend has little to do with dog shows, but everything to do with responsible breeding practices. That mentioned kennel doesn't do health testing (which is a huge problem in this breed), they don't compete AT ALL with their dogs (how do they know if they are breed quality) and state that they don't breed within the standard. That kind of practice just doesn't jive with me.

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree now that I have read more and understand what the showing is about. I still wouldn't show my dogs persay, but I do understand it is important for breeders to do this. :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply. I agree now that I have read more and understand what the showing is about. I still wouldn't show my dogs persay, but I do understand it is important for breeders to do this. :) Thanks again.
Hi and welcome from Pittsburgh! I won't say anything about the Colts, I wouldn't want to rub it in... :mrgreen:

Anyway, just for some perspective, I'm not showing my girl, but I got her from a breeder who does. Tess' parents are both Ch. and have titles on the other end too. Not every litter from Champion parents is going to have only Champion-potential puppies in it. There will be pet-quality puppies for those who don't want to show. Don't think about it from the viewpoint of what you're going to do or not do with your dog. Instead think of it as a matter of choosing to support an individual who does responsible health testing, researching a pedigree, and showing/working their dogs to titles...all to the end of bettering the breed, not their own wallets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi and welcome from Pittsburgh! I won't say anything about the Colts, I wouldn't want to rub it in... :mrgreen:

Anyway, just for some perspective, I'm not showing my girl, but I got her from a breeder who does. Tess' parents are both Ch. and have titles on the other end too. Not every litter from Champion parents is going to have only Champion-potential puppies in it. There will be pet-quality puppies for those who don't want to show. Don't think about it from the viewpoint of what you're going to do or not do with your dog. Instead think of it as a matter of choosing to support an individual who does responsible health testing, researching a pedigree, and showing/working their dogs to titles...all to the end of bettering the breed, not their own wallets.

Thanks for your input. I firstly have to say I hate the Colts. I am originally from TN and am a solid Titans man. :) As for the quality of dogs and to support the bettering of the breed....I'm there. :) I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thanks for the warm welcome and God bless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts