Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every now and then Jack (who's about 14 months old) will do this thing where he comes toward me, generally when I’m not paying attention to him, with that head down, eyes looking up at you sort of pose and lets out a high bark, and/or slaps my leg with his paw...or like just now, where I was standing there and he sort of half climbed a chair (that he never goes on) to paw at and bark at me, trying to engage me in some way but doing it in a sort of bratty, rebellious way. Then he’ll take off like he just tagged you, “you’re it” sort of thing (although I think he’s just running cuz I’ve always gotten a little angry when he did this before). It’s at these times, and only these times, that he may sometimes act a little bit disobedient when I try to calm him down and he’s basically doing that ‘zoomy’ thing some of you talk about.

Anyway, I then try to take control of the situation but I’m always at a bit of a loss, and sometimes crack a smile when I’m trying to be serious.

How would you go about calming a dog if they get like this...I don’t really like it because I like to be the one to start all play sessions like this and definitely don’t want him thinking he can come up and slap on the thigh and bark (near to my face too) any time he wants to play. It always struck me as disrespectful, and but I must have encouraged it somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
To me - its much less about disrespect & more about dog boredom.
(that is solved with increased mental stimulation...20 minutes of focus play = 60 minutes of exercise)

When my dobe comes to me for an ear rub/pat or brings a toy...I will drop what I am doing for a few minutes to play tug-of-war or stuff-toy-fetch.

I always encourage my dog to communicate to me...even when it may be a slight nuisance.
- then the dog gets >clever, because the attention seeker is always rewarded, by the owner / for using its brain power
- I never what to lessen my dog, in fully expressing its needs & wants

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
When Elka is doing snitty things like that, it means that she's bored. BORED. I didn't know dogs could get bored! But, the intelligence of the Doberman is a two edged sword.

So, if she's being pesky with a behavior I don't like and don't want to continue, she gets to do some obedience tricks: go to your bed, lay down, here, sit, spin, sit, go to your bed, etc. After a little while of that (a very little while, it isn't a 'punishment', but rather 'how 'bout you do something constructive?') and then I have her bring me a toy (typically Gumby) and we play for a little while, that kind of thing.

For the tag and run, I would pay attention, and when your pup is coming in to do it, offer a different behavior for him to do instead (sitting by you, a down, that kind of thing). Eventually, that will be the signal that maybe you should pay attention! If Elka is laying on her bed of her own volition, I always know something's up.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My first reaction is to ask how much exercise and training time does he get? Does this happen more when perhaps he's not getting as much attention as normal? I'm not saying that makes it acceptable, but it could be that he's getting bored and saying "Hey let's play!" I've recently dealt with this a bit with my guy that is just short of 14 months. I don't mind if he initiates play, but I do expect that he be respectful about it and that he stops if I tell him to. I have noticed that he is a bit more persistent if I've been slacking a bit. He will stop when I tell him "not now" but he will come back in a while.

Given how he starts doing the zoomies after you get upset, it sounds to me like he's not scared or thinking he's in trouble but that he actually thinks you are playing back and that gets him excited. Negative attention is still attention and that is what it seems like he is seeking.I know it catches you off guard but with this situation, my first step would be to try and completely ignore him when he does it. No response to him and perhaps even turn and walk away. That will show him that when he acts that way, he doesn't get what he wants at all.

·
Registered
855 Posts
To me - its much less about disrespect & more about dog boredom.
(that is solved with increased mental stimulation...20 minutes of focus play = 60 minutes of exercise)

When my dobe comes to me for an ear rub/pat or brings a toy...I will drop what I am doing for a few minutes to play tug-of-war or stuff-toy-fetch.

I always encourage my dog to communicate to me...even when it may be a slight nuisance.
- then the dog gets >clever, because the attention seeker is always rewarded, by the owner / for using its brain power
- I never what to lessen my dog, in fully expressing its needs & wants

I so agree with this. I want my dogs to tell me what they want. I also think it's awesome to sometimes almost see the gears turning as they figure out how to get what they want. Many times I too stop what I'm doing and give em some scratches or play time. Provided they do it with some manners of course :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Haha, my boy literally just did this about 30 seconds before opening this post :) He put his paw on my shoulder, then creeped up to licking my ear. When that was ignored he sat down and let out a single 'woof' at me as though to say 'Mum, seriously Im bored now I DEMAND you play with me!' So I of course had to oblige :) I love this dog. :dancing_b04:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yes, bored and wanting your attention. That's some of the velcro in Jack. Mine do it too. Just stop and love him. I think it's ok for him to want to be loved on his terms as well as your terms. At least it's all positive. I don't believe you can love or spoil children or dogs too much. Now I didn't say let them get away with things, just love and spoil.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with everyone else in that your dog is just bored or lacking exercise. Next time that he does try to not react but rather calmly look at him while you are still sitting there and nicely ask for a sit or down. The second he chooses to listen, get up and play with him. He will then learn to try a sit or down to get the attention rather then a punch and bark.
When the weather is bad or the dogs have not had enough attention I break out the Buster Cube. It is the best play/ reward toy that my dogs have and they are usually much calmer afterwards.
Good luck

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
i also think he just might be bored. Elsa does it as well.

but honestly, sometimes Elsa will be out all day and I know she got a lot of exercise... but she is doing it just to be annoying- that is just being a brat and not respecting me... when I tell her to stop and go lay down, I expect her too- even if she is bored at that particular moment.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Even at 2 1/2yrs when Kyrah does this I still think it is the cutest thing! She doesnt do it all the time. Sometimes its for an ear rub, sometimes she wants to snuggle (yes if I go to sit in the reclyner she will insist I sit on the couch with her) & sometimes she wants to play. But if I am in the middle of something I will tell her "not now, go lay down." I will also agree the play part happens more on days when we havent done a lot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's quite cute yet it's definitely sorta bratty too when he barks (high-pitched) closer and closer to my face to get my attention. I can just imagine him trying to do this if I had company over...it would be embarrassing and it would appear as if my dog was not under control.

And yes, this is to do with boredom and lack of exercise; three weeks ago Jack cut himself in a field (just below that stopper pad) and I was told to not let him run for a while...so he's only getting his two walks, so the running about at lunch is definitely what he's missing. That's when this started happening.

There's little doubt that somewhere along the line I encouraged this though cuz, as tater pointed out, it's not like he thinks he's in trouble when he runs...he's playing, and I still remember he barked in my ear I was pissed (and I very seldom get pissed at him).

Anyway, I've tried some ignoring him when he does this, and when he gets riled a down will normally do it....I just wondered if there were any other useful tips or tricks for snappingt a dog out of it when they get like this.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^Jack's almost all healed up and he's getting his daily runs in now so alot of this behaviour should subside pretty soon. That being said, I still don't think I've handled it quite right when he does get this way.

Another example of similar behaviour is what he has been doing lately first thing in the morning, right after we get up...he's all hyper and ready to go which is understandable...he's no doubt looking forward to his walk, etc, but I JUST GOT UP and he's taken to barking in my face and other hyper ass ****. Barking, pawing my leg and then taking off and I'm all like "it's way too early for this, Jack"...I often try putting him in a down but he didn't want to stay there this morning (other time's he'll Down/Stay for 5-10 minutes for me), instead opting for the aforementioned antics.

So I'd like to sort of ressurect this question...not WHY is this happening but HOW do you handle it...how do you make your dog settle down in instances like this? He's a very obedient dog but he doesnt seem to get it in the morning when I say NO, Not Now, etc... Advice appreciated.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Fiona is like Elsa in this regard. Sometimes she's bored but sometimes she's just super tired/irritable and being a brat. If I know she's had plenty of exercise and fun for the day, she's told to go on or lay down.

Otherwise I'm perfectly fine with my girls telling me when they're bored or when they want attention.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Regardless if Kyrah has been exercised or not if I say down stay she is to do it. I will stop whatever I am doing to put her back into it. When she is doing a down stay for a reason such as being a brat, someone coming into the house or trying to eat one of the terriers. She is never let out of a down stay until she is relaxed/calm. I cant remember for sure if this is what my trainer told me or not. But it goes along the lines of what he taught me. He told me when originally teaching down stay to make sure I had the time no matter how long it took. When you give the command keep her there until she is relaxed/calm otherwise she would not learn a solid down stay. None of my dogs are allowed to release themselves from a down stay. I practice a couple times a week with a 30min down stay on their spots in the living room.

When Kyrah is pestering me and I am really busy. I will give her a nyla bone which she doesnt have access to all the time. She may get told to go lay down or a down stay. She may also get a new stuffie out the closet. Yes keep a garbage bag full in there. Or maybe a frozen kong. Try to redirect. IMO if he has been winning with this behavior it may take some time to change it and you will need to be very consistent in the new techniques.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
I would start working on self-control exercises, like "It's Yer Choice," to help him build up the ability to control his own behavior.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I like to teach a dog that the ONLY way I'm going to get up and play is if he/she is sitting nicely, and quietly. With Dakota, I have no problem with her bringing me a toy. But, she knows that I'm not going to play unless she is sitting there calmly. Letting her bring a toy, and me getting up and playing is something that she earned over time. In the beginning, I don't let a dog initiate play. As a result, the most "annoying" she will get is bringing a tug rope, putting it on my lap, and sitting there looking at me with big eyes until I get up lol.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Jack is 14 month old dobe & sounds smart - most of all, everything he is doing now, is normal.

dobriety - your approach of putting him in a "down" command for 5 minutes, IS NOT WORKING MUCH, and I'm not totally surprised.
Much like a preschool child, that won't leave you alone and you make him/her sit at the kitchen table, to study early learning phonics for 1/2 an hour.
- not much fun, for the child & they didn't learn any more phonics either
- and you come off as a slightly inflexible "drill sergeant"
You would have more success, opening up a coloring book, for a pestering child...do something more fun.

If my dobe wants attention, I send her off to "fetch" a toy sometimes / just fun stuff & mental stimulating.
(give the dog a job to do)
She will bring it back, for a little "tug-of-war" for 1/2 a minute or lean on my legs to get a back scratch.
Then she is off to the living room, jumping on the leather couch or love seat (her choice), with a chew toy.
BUT, she ends the short play interaction (with me) on her own dog terms and she is happy, loving & most content.

The one behavior that needs correcting or modifying, is the loud barking in your ear (not nice at all).
- use a strong voice & say "enough"
- put one hand around the dogs muzzle and lightly slap the top of your own human hand
- your not actually hitting the dog, but sending a vibration message of disapproval / through the barrier of your hand first

I would be more flexible with Jack, and loosen up his structure some...the perceived problem may be more rooted in your line of thinking, than the dogs. Go with the flow more / it won't damage him. Good Luck !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts