Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as mine can't seem to handle it that well. I have heard the breed does not tolerate the heat in general very well but I have also heard the exact opposite.

For example, it is 9:28AM here currently, and I just took her for maybe 3/4 of a mile walk but had to turn back because she looked like she was about to pass out.

67 degrees Fahrenheit, 55% humidity. Come to think of it she has been super lazy and bla since the temp increase. Yesterday was around 82 and a little less humid and it wasn't 15 minutes before she started dragging etc. I hate to think about the worst case(e.g. dcm) but it just seems weird that a breed "known for it's stamina" is having this hard of a time with a daily walk. She is going to be a year old in June, not sure if that matters.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Mine have never been bothered by the heat though in my area it rarely gets too hot.

They will 'sunbath' for a bit then move to the shade and go back and forth.

When walking or hiking most of our time is spent under the cover of trees, but a few stretches are unshaded and if they do get a bit too hot they will walk into ditches of water or like my Pitbull Pearl..lay in the mud. :)

But I cannot say any of them suffer from the heat.

Have you discussed your girls issue with the heat with your Vet?

even though she is young it may be a good idea to have her thyroid levels checked.

Hugz to Coco!

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Juno gets really hot if we're out on a walk, but normally I can take her to a pond where she can jump in or play in a sprinkler. I'm dreading summer this year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never had an issue with heat intolerance with our Doberman, Harper, up until a month or so ago but he's also nearly 8 yrs old and in CHF now. Harper was always extremely active no matter the temp, but he was also smart about not over doing it in the heat, and he utilized his cool off doggie pool a lot in the summer to cool down. Even after he was diagnosed with DCM he could still walk for several miles in 60-70 degree weather without any issues. I sure do miss those days.

Probably would be a good idea to have a checkup at the vet just to be safe!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm from Texas so we deal with some bad heat in the summer (100 degrees +). Dreizehn, who loves to be outside wasn't so keen on it when the temperature got to about 90 and up. That being said, all summer long he'd go to work with me at the doggy daycare I worked at. We'd take the dogs (him included) out for no more than 10-15 minutes at a time multiple times a day so they didn't get too hot. Dreizehn spent much of his daylight hours inside the air conditioning and I would take him out early in the morning and later at night to run around. Still, he never seemed like he was suffering too badly.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mine take some getting used to the heat initially in the summer, but they tolerate it pretty well. I do tend to walk in places with access to water (creek, river) though so they can jump in and cool off. Neither swims, but even walking in the water helps. They handle the heat far better than they handle the cold (or wet).

Reactions: KissNme

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
Mine are not big fans of the heat and tend to be lazier on hot days. I have a "doggie pool" in the yard in the summer time for them to cool off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good Thread, I was in Colorado when I had my dobies before, and now I am Oklahoma. I just had a well duh moment, I take mine to an area where they can run and play with little interference from people or dogs, but if I do not put them back on leash before I get to the pond they are in it, not wanting pond water on the furniture I was keeping them from it. So there is my sign, so I will run them through the hose after the pond. :D

Also I wanted to ask, can they swim in deep water or do they need a vest since they are so lean? Here I have friends who do doggie dates in the summer in Human swiming pool.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah something isn't right. Ten minutes running arounf and she was on her back panting heavily. It isnt't 70 today with low humidity. Could it be allergies? Vet appt this Thursday @ 5

·
Registered
370 Posts
Let us know what you find out.

I am over cautious with my girl in the heat.Shee has no off switch. Anything around 80 and she looks miserable to me. I always have water on hand and wet her down alot in summer or take her places where she can " swim "

My first girl, swam like a lab, no stopping her. No my current girl LOVES to swim and THINKS shes Da Bomb, but she swims like a bowling ball, so a vest is a definate requirement. I have to watch her like a hawk, she doesnt seem to panic or get bothered by the fact that she is slowly sinking beneath the water, and she keeps going in again and again :rolleyesww:

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
It can be 90 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, and Elka will be complaining at me because she wants to go out back and play with a ball, or go for a walk. She still pants in the heat, obviously, but seems to love it. When she was littler, and it was hot, if we were on a walk she'd reach a point where she would lay down in shade when we found it (and once I had to carry her for a block until she believed me that we were going home), but once she reached full size, she hadn't done it since. Which is good. I can still carry her, but I haven't tested for how long and would rather not.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Standing in the sun and waiting to go into the ring is a problem. Bacchus wilts. I have a cool coat I put on him and it helps. We do very few outdoor trials because of the weather/bugs/crappy ring prep.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
We live in Florida; Ammo tolerates the heat fine;we do have to shorten our outdoor activities from June to October due to the humidity but typically he is great on a 2 hour hike, 45min to 1 hour walk, etc. Although he does have access to water most of the time either pond, pool, baby pool, or creek(while hiking)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also, if it is just a heat thing, if you go to Walmart, usually in the sporting goods/camping section you can find these handkerchief tube like things that are filled with a dried substance and you soak them in water and they expand and stay wet and cool for a LONG LONG time.

Anyway, when working road construction I would throw one of these in the freezer the night before and once I was out and about I would tie it around my neck and instantly cool for a few hours.

Just throw one around her neck and tie it on and it should help keep her cool

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, if it is just a heat thing, if you go to Walmart, usually in the sporting goods/camping section you can find these handkerchief tube like things that are filled with a dried substance and you soak them in water and they expand and stay wet and cool for a LONG LONG time.

Anyway, when working road construction I would throw one of these in the freezer the night before and once I was out and about I would tie it around my neck and instantly cool for a few hours.

Just throw one around her neck and tie it on and it should help keep her cool
Unfortunately as the days go by I think it has less to do with the heat and more with something wrong.:confused: Just walked her for about a mile. 66 degrees, 77% humidity.

Here is what I notice:

She makes almost like a hacking coughing noise at times with her mouth closed while she is pushing up a slight incline.

White of her eyes are slightly red

Seems to be getting eye boogies pretty regularly now

Generally lethargic, lack of energy, trouble putting on weight?(53-55lbs and will be a year old on June 16th. 26 inches high btw).

Stools look good however I will say she had a HARD time kicking a nasty roundworm bout months back.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but something just does not feel right. Like I said, vet appt @ 5pm on Thursday so here's to the best.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hugz to your Girl.

Hoping all will be well.

Please let us know what your Vet thinks when he/she sees Coco on Thursday.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Brie was born in tropical climate, came to St. Louis in winter and was shivering and hating the cold for the first few months then got used to it and now I would say she takes winter better than summer. Summers here are hot and humid and she does not do well with that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our boy seems to deal with the Texas heat similar to the way we do. Early in the year he is more heat intolerant but as we spend more time outside his resistance goes up. Although he will never be able to go long periods of time in the blazing hot sun it gets better with time.

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Brandy doesn't seem to mind the heat too much and is pretty good about slowing down if she gets too hot. We were at the dog park last summer and made a couple laps around this large pond they have. She was so funny on the last lap, because she kept running ahead of us to the nearest tree, then she'd lay down in the shade. Once we caught up, she run ahead to the next tree and lay down. Silly dog didn't even think about going in the pond...getting wet is yucky! :p

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
My dogs are okay in heat up to about 80*. Beyond that and they're really sluggish. Missouri has a fair amount of humidity and that makes a difference. They seem to handle the heat better on less humid days, which so do I.

When we go out for forced exercise in the summer - like longer hikes - and I know it's going to be pretty hot I take enough extra water so I can wet them down every so often (definitely if we're in direct sun very much), and obviously we stop to rest as needed and I give them short water breaks but I don't allow a lot of water while we're moving because I don't want to encourage bloat. Especially not on a hike where it's typical for us to be up to 40 or so miles from the nearest vet office. I just keep an eye on them and never push them too hard on summer hikes. Rather be safe than sorry.

And I keep a kiddie pool and sprinkler in the backyard for Tali during summer months. Fiona is welcome to use it as well but she won't dare get wet if she isn't made to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts