Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Guinness had finished his first taping about 2 weeks ago. After a week I took the taping off and miraculously his ears stood up (even the tips)! I figured they would fall down like everyone says they do after time, but they didn't. I waited three full days and they still stood up. The only thing they did from time to time is lean towards each other over the top of his head when he turned them a certain way.

Thinking it couldn't hurt I had them taped again. The second week is almost over and I'm going to remove the tape tomorrow.

How can I tell when they are done? Just leave them “untaped” until they fall/don't fall? His ears are still flimsy when I touch them but they stand even after I push them down or move them around.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
*******'s ears also stood well after I took her post's out. Her's did the exact same thing, lean in to own another. I kept taping and still will continue if this happens again. I believe when they do this the ears are still weak and unable to stand on there own. Right now her ears are not doing this. If they were fully done with posting that problem I'm told would not happen. If I were you I would continue posting also.

·
Registered
954 Posts
For the most part, I stopped worrying about Lena's ears when she finished teething. I was still posting them occasionally up to about 7 or so months. I was told it is good to leave them unposted for a while, helps to strengthen the cartilage, and put them back up when they start to look weak. Her right ear finished up sooner then her left, which I continued to (again occasionally) tape (no post needed).

Hope that helps,

Phil

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Post twice after you think you are done. Less work later. Teething makes the ears oftentimes do strange things...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
better to correctly overpost than underpost. You don't want to give the ears a chance to fall, esp. not for very long periods of time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
14 weeks is too early. Depending on the length and type cut, 6 months is average. You can permanently ruin all you've done so far by jumping the gun and quitting posting. Trust me - I just went through were you are now.
Stick with it!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I have had *******'s posts out for almost 3 days now. They are pretty strong but I have the strips in because the tips are a tad weak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
les strat said:
14 weeks is too early. Depending on the length and type cut, 6 months is average. You can permanently ruin all you've done so far by jumping the gun and quitting posting. Trust me - I just went through were you are now.
Stick with it!
6 months!??!!! Holy Cow! Do you leave them off for long periods of time or have you had them on for 6 months with small gaps off?

·
Registered
166 Posts
KingJason said:
6 months!??!!! Holy Cow! Do you leave them off for long periods of time or have you had them on for 6 months with small gaps off?
You have to play it by ear (pun intended! :jonkel: ) If they are standing well, I would take them down every 5 days to let them air, but put them back up before bedtime or sooner if they start looking weak. You really need to stick with it until they are through teething, which is usually 6 months of age, - when the cartilage really starts to become firm. Sometimes, long show cuts will have to be posted up to a year, depending on the cut and genetics.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im going to chime in here, I thought Duke was one of the lucky dogs when after posting for almost a month his ears stood and I was like wow thats awesome. I let it go for a week and then all of a sudden one ear just dropped overnight. So I have come to the conclusion of posting till 6 months/when teething is done. After 6 months play it week by week, I am letting his ears air out every 3 postings for a few days though.

He is five months old now.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I posted Rommel forever.........and ever..........and ever. He went through more tampons in 7 months than I have seen in my whole life.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cool. Stella is at week 22 and almost at 6 months, she is still teething and then it is time for spaying. Her ears stand up strong and has control of ear movement. She's on a 2-3 day on, 1 day off at this time, mostly because the tapings get so weathered. Is there a surer way of telling if the ears are done other than a "time period of 6 months?"

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Rule of thumb is if teething has begun then continue to post till thru.
One of my pups ears stood after one posting. Long show cut and cropped at eight weeks. The shortest cut took the longest.

Some how illnacords' post showed up as mine was entered so I say:
After teething, the only way I know to tell if ears are standing is to take them down and wait and see what happens. If they start to fall, repost.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey is 6 months and 2 weeks....and we are still posting! He still has one baby tooth....and his adults are all still coming down.....so posting will continue for a few more weeks....at the very least!

Carol

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am starting this thread back up because I was wondering the same thing. Is there any ways to tell when you can stop posting.

Do the ears stand straight all the time or just when they are being alert.

On the side were the cut Sashas ears when they cropped her theres a bend ''thing''. She can make her ears bend here alittle. Is this O.K. I can post pics if needed.

O.K. the first picture is how Sashas ears look when she sleeps.

The second pictures is her left ear. (the bend thing) I used my finger to get it to show up

The third is the other ear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes. I also would like to know how to tell when it is time to stop. My pup is 7 1/2 months and has been posted since 8 weeks. He has been able to stand up his ears when alert after 2 weeks of posting. I really dont notice a difference in his ears at 7 1/2 months than at 4 months.....When he is not alert, his ears are at a 45 degree angle (1/2 up and one ear is up a little more than the other)...however when alert they are straight up, even bending in towards each other a little bit. Should I go to breath right strips and if so, where exactly do you put them on the ears?

·
Banned
134 Posts
IMO, think of a german shepherd ears, they hold them up when alert, even sleep with them up, fold them back when they want to, such as if someone reaches out to pet them on the head. i think thats how dobe ears should be when "done", the dog should use them as if they were naturally erect, like a gsd. but they should not tip in toward each other when alert, that is a sign of pockets, and needs not just more taping but corrective taping. if you're using a brace between the ears i would stop using it if theears are tipping in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have just finished the posting the ears phase...Briggs ears were standing by 5 months..but I continued to post. I was very diligent with posting and it paid off. When can you stop posting?...every dog is different...it is hard to tell....I just let his ears down and monitored them...if they were not sitting right...I just kept on posting. Once the ears are standing...the breath right strips for the tips are amazing....it really help straighten out the tips. Posting is a pain in the butt...but..once you are done...your dobe will have beautiful majestic ears and it will be soooooooo worth it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts