Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has a good way to stop dogs that are playing with each other from crashing into people. Most people at the dog park understand the risks and try to get out of the way but it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. There are also a lot of dogs that run free on our local sports fields and when they start playing together they may crash into someone who isn't so understanding.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Dogs are easy to get excited. Can your dog be easily recalled by you? If so, at least your dog won't hurt other people.

Off topic: I lived in Vancouver, West End area. Where are the dog parks? I didn't notice them.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
This has been something of a problem for Toby and I, he has crashed into me 2 or 3 times and I can attest it hurts when you get bowled over (usually from behind) so that your feet go flying into the air and you land in a very unceremonious heap. The only way I have found is to a) keep a very close eye on where he is and then b) call to him as he is running full tilt in full playmode with his friend towards me. It occasionally has no effect but I have found for the most part it just puts him enough off stride to actually look where he is going.
If anyone else has a better solution I am up for trying it because I don't bounce anymore.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's a dog park, a place where they are suppose to be able to run free and let loose. I'd award him points for every person he bumps into and bonus treats if he gets them off balance.

Knocks someone over, that's a steak dinner!

I'm kidding, just a little, of course, but that's like going to a racing event and standing near the track, like idiots do during a rally race. if you get hit, it's your own fault. Pay attention.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It's a dog park, a place where they are suppose to be able to run free and let loose. I'd award him points for every person he bumps into and bonus treats if he gets them off balance.

Knocks someone over, that's a steak dinner!

I'm kidding, just a little, of course, but that's like going to a racing event and standing near the track, like idiots do during a rally race. if you get hit, it's your own fault. Pay attention.
But I don't go to the Dog Park, on account we don't have any here. In my case it is when he is in the Orange Groves, suddenly Toby and his friend come bowling out from the treeline towards you, you are stood on the narrow track, there is no where to run and bham, mum is on her backside again.
What a funny mummy Toby has.

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
I have become very good at the last minute dodge. Elke just doesn't pay attention to where she is going when she's excited and playing. The dogs at the dog park want to stay close to their people, but they also want to play, so they end up right in front of you and you have to watch out. Some of them use people for cover (lean against your legs as if for protection) so I don't know that it's something you can prevent.

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
We were throwing the tennis ball on the snow covered street Sunday...before I could throw it once, JR had zoomies and plowed me on the right side. Tweaked my wrist when I fell but I was more pissed because empty street and front yards, he ran into the only thing that was available to run into.....me!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ugh, Gunner did this to me just yesterday. We were in our yard playing with the tennis ball. He rammed into me twice and yes, it hurts! I took that as my cue that he was a bit too hyped up. I settled things down with a few obedience commands and some cookies and he didn't do it anymore. I threw the ball again, but if he started to run at me, I stood my ground and made a firm "uh uh" sound. He got the hint.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mine is like a tank, she has taken out so many people that I am thinking of putting a cow bell around her neck....lol....most of the regulars know her by now but still.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dogs are easy to get excited. Can your dog be easily recalled by you? If so, at least your dog won't hurt other people.

Off topic: I lived in Vancouver, West End area. Where are the dog parks? I didn't notice them.
His recall isn't the best when he is busy playing but he might at least look.

There are dog parks all over the place in Vancouver now and were added over the last couple of years. Many of them aren't fenced, my favorite is the dog beach at Spanish banks. I actually don't live right in Vancouver but I go there frequently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, I like the cow bell idea, lol. I guess it's something you can't always prevent but I'll try calling him and see if that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts