Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful 4 yr old neutered male Doberman who is the apple of my eye, I love him so much. But I have developed some health issues recently and they have compounded with injuries - I have a broken hand that isn't healing properly and I require ACL reconstruction. With both of these injuries on top of my other health issues, I know that I am not meeting my baby's physical needs. He is a ball of energy and it breaks my heart to see him struggling with an insufficient amount of exercise. I have found my boy a good home, lovely couple living in a smaller town with a large fenced area for him to enjoy. Family friends so when I'm mobile again I could even go visit.

How do I set up my dog and his new family for success? Are there stages that the adoption should take? Is it better to slowly get him used to the family and their place or have him just go home with them one day? I want this to be the least traumatic possible - I guess I want to know how to make this work so that it hurts me more than my dog.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Collar

· Registered
1,054 Posts
sorry for ur injuires
this is totally ur call
if u feel this family is a fit - great -
i would take the dog over -hang out for while see what happends
kids? other dogs in the area?
go there and hang out get to know them -look around the area
now u become a breeder -u as the questions?

· Registered
596 Posts
My sympathy for your health problems. It's always a worry for those of us who are sole caretakers.

I did rescue for some years, fostered some of the dogs I adopted out. IMO when you're sure it's a good home, the best thing to do is take them there, hang out a while, and quietly disappear (if you can't take him, same thing but at your home, nice visit, they take him as quietly and with as little fuss as possible) - no big emotional output from humans at parting, no visiting afterward, no divided loyalties as the new family becomes The Family.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input, I appreciate the suggestions. I just not sure if I understand one point, are you suggesting that I should not visit my dog after he settles into his new home?

I was fearful that an abrupt transition would be difficult for my boy - as I know the couple my plan was to take him to their place one or twice to get him used to it and then going out wouldn't be so bad when he stayed. It sounds like quick transition wouldn't be as bad as I feared, is that right?

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Having done Boxer rescue for years, I can tell you that it is best for the dog that is being rehomed to have an abrupt transition. So long as the family understands any “language” the dog speaks and little oddities or quirks (has to burrow under covers at night, paws you to go outside, or whatever) the best thing you can do is to leave the dog and not look back. It will only confuse him further.

If the new family gives him love, care, and space (that is important - don’t smother the dog, let him warm up to them on his own schedule) the best thing you can do is leave and NOT visit. It is for his best, not yours.

· Super Moderator
23,786 Posts
I know how incredibly hard this is for you, but good for you for putting your dog's needs first!

Dogs are remarkably adaptable. He will adjust to his new home just fine. I know that can be hard for us (people)...of course our dogs love us, but they also can thrive in new homes, too. I have absolute admiration for people that recognize they aren't able to provide something a dog needs and find a more suitable place, for whatever reason. I wish you all the best.

· Registered
596 Posts
are you suggesting that I should not visit my dog after he settles into his new home?
Yes, I am. IMO visits just confuse the dog - oh, the person who raised me from a puppy has come to take me home - oh, no, she's gone again. I think visits are for the human's benefit to check up on how things are going. However, you say these people are family friends, so it seems you have a pipeline to them that can report how things are going, and of course there's email and pics.

If they are your friends and you would normally visit them now and then, I don't think it's so important you should avoid visits, just don't fuss over him too much.

· Registered
65 Posts
My heart goes out to you. I feel it tug at my heart thinking about what you have to do. But I believe you’re right in putting your Dobie’s needs first. After we lost Tara in September, we were lost. So my younger daughter signed on to an app to look after dogs. Some were for a day. Others for a week at a time. But what that taught us was that dogs of all breeds are great at adapting to a new family. We even looked after one of our breeders Dobies for a couple weekends. She fit right in without an issue. So what I’m trying to say, in probably too many words, is that your Dobie will do well with fitting into another loving family. And again, my heart goes out to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.