Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - My 5 mo. old boy is getting really, really bad about this, and people are getting very annoyed with me for not training him not to do this. Any suggestions on how to stop it? I have heard various things, but wanted to ask you guys. Thanks so much !

·
Registered
159 Posts
Took me 5 minutes to train my do by. When the dog comes over to you and starts to jump just raise you knee up. Not a kick just simply raise it up. This my take a few times. Took me twice. The try calling the guy up if he does it again raise your knee. The do by is good one person can do this and it will learn that he can,t do it to anybody. Not like my Pit which loves to test everyone LOL

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Teach that a nice sit will get a petting but jumping will get nothing. Pushing & yelling are invitations. Keep calm, no moving hands into dogs face and a stern sit! It will take time and patients regardless of your choice. As longshot suggested the clicker idea is a great one! Kikopup has some nice videos!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Leave a lead on the pups flat collar. When the pup comes toward you, just before he jumps step on leash, and give a firm NO. The dog can only jump so far, if done properly. The key here is, they are not really seeing the correction, cuz you are magical. Lol. Generally they are looking up to jump and don't see your foot placement. It takes a little practice but works often.
Another is walk into the jump, fairly quick and it often throws them off balance.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
^^^This.

Ignore the other stuff, do this.

You will enhance your dog's thinking mind, and your relationship overall, plus eliminate the jumping.
The beauty of this method is you can SEE them thinking and working through it. "She doesn't want this.. maybe this?" and she'll offer up a behavior I've reinforced previously. SO COOL.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
The beauty of this method is you can SEE them thinking and working through it. "She doesn't want this.. maybe this?" and she'll offer up a behavior I've reinforced previously. SO COOL.
It is super cool, is it not?

It's called "getting your dog operant," and leads to some way fun lessons and a really great working partnership with your dog.

Reactions: longshot4me

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 3 month old dobie,Sheba was running loose today she jumped at me and her teeth got my arm good.i want her broke from that.please help. i would hate for that to happen to someone else or a child .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts