Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it got HOTT and more than likely it's going to stay that way all summer so I want to get Maggie to like water... Probably not possible but I'd still like to try especially since her doggie friends love going to the beach and she can't go since I don't want her sitting in the sand all day with no shade. :( Anyways if you have any ideas on how to start her on water it would help much! We have a kiddie pool for the dogs but they don't use it nor do they like the hose. So please help if you can! Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know it sound horrible and maybe would traumatize most dogs but I jsut threw my boy in after my cousins dogs and then he's gone in ever since:tongue23: He doens't like to actually swim but now he runs through it and chases the other dogs and at least sttempts it.

and he even lays in the kiddie pool sometimes.

Since pushing him is probally kinda mean I'd maybe try going in with him,and jsut going slowly out and maybe treats as you go.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I dunno, I had hooked up my sprinkler and was adjusting it.. and jack came over to see what i was doing.. got soaked.. and freaked out.. now when ever i go to adjust it he thinks its time to play in the sprinkler.. im not sure how he is with lakes/ bodies of water cause we dont have any close by.. the nearest one is 2 hours away.. but i will be taking him to a lake in July when i go to Ny for my sisters wedding ( i plan on getting jack a dogie tuxedo ) so if he behaves when we are there i will have pictures! lol

·
Registered
953 Posts
All we did with Bruno was found a stick and/or ball. We threw it out not too far, but far enough that he'd have to go right in. He loves playing fetch so he went for that stick or ball. We switch it up because after so many times he doesn't want what is currently being thrown lol. But he now loves the water :) He never goes where he has to actually swim tho. He makes sure he can walk at all times LOL

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
IMO, its just like everything else, the more they are exposed to it, the more the better the chances are of them feeling comfortable with it. I spent just about everyday last summer at the beach, so Piper (my boxer) went with me alot. At first, she would just walk toward the water and as soon as the waves came in she would run the other direction, eventually she got braver and braver. After a few weeks of that, I picked her up, carried her out about 50 ft, (still only like 3 feet deep) and let her swim in to shore, following her. Now, she LOVES water. Rommel has only been to the beach like 3 times, so he is still pretty cautious, but I plan on taking him this summer like I did with Piper last summer. I got these bright yellow 25ft leashes made out of the same kind of rope that they use on ski ropes. That way it is highly visable, and it floats. (They are made by Remington, you can get them at petsmart) That way just in case something were to happen and I lost grip on the line, I would be able to easily find it and grab it. Also, you can get 6 ft beach umbrella's at wal-mart for $5.37. I just bought one like 2 days ago, perfect shade for the pooch's. Good Luck, going to the beach with the dogs is alot of fun, just dont forget the poopie bags :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
What worked for us was going to the beach with other dogs who love to play in the water. Slowly she began to play deeper and deeper. Same as above she doesn't like to swim, if she can't touch bottom she kind of freaks out. But very funny to watch her bounce around in water up to her belly!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah same here...with duchess...I was at the dog park and she was watching all the other dogs go into the pond that is usually dried up but wasnt. She watched from the muddy edge of the pond and then slowly walked in since all the other dogs were Jumping in. she got out and then we continued to walk as a group and then I had to ask a question that I never had to ask before..."where is my dog?" lol She never disappears like she did ...but it turns out she decided to sprint back to the pond in seconds! lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts