Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Berd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, new to the forum and new to the breed!

My puppy, Roscoe, had his ears done last Monday (June 4). For the first few days it was ok keeping him quiet to let the ears heal, mostly crate-rest or hanging out on the couch with me either chewing on toys or sleeping.

However starting yesterday, he's getting harder to keep quiet. I tried to let him stay out of his crate like before, but now he's figured out how to jump off the couch on his own and he constantly wants to play again. Unfortunately when he plays he's rubbing his ears on the floor and against the couch despite my efforts to keep him in the middle of the floor. He ripped out a stitch doing this yesterday (the vet said to not be concerned).

Still, in the interest of letting the ears fully heal it seems I may have to keep him in his crate where he doesn't rub them on everything.

However, when in his crate for so long now he barks and whines. His toys only manage to keep him interested for a few minutes and I don't think constantly giving him a Kong with a treat inside is a good idea. I also don't like the idea of just leaving him in the crate all day with only potty and food breaks. Sure after a bit of a tantrum he lays down and goes to sleep, which is good for his ears but I don't think it's good emotion-wise for him to be confined to his crate like this:frown3:

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to keep both puppy happy and his stitches intact?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Let him be a puppy, he doesn't need any kind of time off or rest. If he rubs his ears a little bit it's not going to hurt anything. He doesn't need any tape over the cut edges of his ears or an Elizabethan collar on him so if he has either of those be sure to take it off. The stitches are probably almost ready to come out anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,356 Posts
I've never heard of crate rest for ear cropping and have had 3 litters cropped.... they were playing within hours of surgery. Can you post pictures? It may be that there is some reason the vet wants your puppy kept quiet... but I can't imagine why!

·
Big Lil pup
6,153 Posts
What Fitzmar said ^^^^

When I showed up to pick my current youngest up at our breeder, the whole litter was pig piling in serious play. They were just about to have their sutures removed that day.

In fact, I had the wonderful experience of helping to remove McCoy's stitches

When he came home he immediately was playing with our older Dobe. No problem. I was a bit careful when we first started to post. Still, I never was that concerned.

For the record, I have had cropped dobermans that I have posted for 40+ years. I have never used a cone and I have never limited their activity.

My main concerns have been:

- Keeping the ears dry. I live in a very rainy area.

- Keeping the posts in. Current posting methods have greatly improved. (See greenkouki's great thread on the backer rod method). Follow it closely and you should not have a problem.

- The possibility of infection. That simply takes a close eye (and nose). Detect an issue, deal with it as soon as possible. A simple irritation or minor infection is easily taken care of.

- Following through. Don't quit early and if there is an issue, take care of it.

- Using ear posting to experience a unique opportunity to bond with the pup. Making it a positive experience.

This all just my opinion.

John
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Great advice above ! The rubbing is that the ears are healing and itching some - - you said he learned jump off the couch and play around ? Just wait - lol be ready for the Dobershark next - lol

Best of luck

Ken

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
I'll pretty much echo what everyone else has said about making sure puppy "rests" while his ears are healing.

I've been raising Dobe puppies and getting them cropped since 1959--no vet ever told me to reduce exercise or increase rest while ears were healing.

I've had puppies bang their ears into stuff, rub their ears on things and occasionally pull a suture out. What I find happens is that if the puppy rubs ears or bangs into stuff of pulls out a suture is that they very quickly learn that it hurts--and they actually stop doing those things.

I don't allow dog on furniture so I don't have that issue but he needs exercise more than he needs rest for his ears to heal. They'll heal just fine so I'd be taking him for walks and playing outside with him instead of trying to keep hm quiet.

·
Roxie
79 Posts
My newest Doberman rescue, Karma, is very verbal. She alerts to everything, including neighbors (who she has met) walking by in the apartment complex, people using the stairs across from us, the noise of the mini-pin upstairs, or the blind man with peg leg walking around, or any noise!!! She whines A LOT for no reason, so I have been using a squirt gun and telling her 'quiet'. When she is quiet, I praise her. I never taught my 6yo Doberman, Roxie, to bark on command; she has only recently started to do that. However, Roxie is starting to bark more when Karma alerts and barks.

·
Berd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thank you all for the great responses! Sorry it took so long for me to respond/acknowledge, I wasn't getting the email notifications.

As for Roscoe he is doing pretty good now. You're right, he didn't seem to need much rest haha. He plays and plays and rubs his ears on the floor and it doesn't seem to be a big deal at all for him.

Unfortunately he did seem to develop an infection of sorts last week. We're not sure where it came from. The vet seems to think he got moisture on his ears, though I'm not sure how he did so. He's going back in on Tuesday for a follow up so here's hoping it's all cleared up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts