Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my two dobes love the beach and will charge right in, up to the point of partial swimming. When I get them by the swimming pool, they get extremely apprehensive. My question is should I force them in? and if so how, given they are at ten months and 40kg, or would that be to traumatic for them. Tried throwing all their favorite toys, but not fooling these dogs, thxs in advance

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,428 Posts
My big suggestion concerning dogs and pools is that you spend some time teaching them how to get OUT--usually they can't climb out of the sides alone and can tire themselves out very easily trying to climb out of the pool at the wrong place. They need to know how to find the steps so they can get out.

That's a safety instruction I insist on for my dogs, just in case they fall in when I'm not watching. But the last thing they will do is get in the pool on their own--can't help you with that question!!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Friend of mine spent ages trying to get his dogs in his pool, he tried all sorts of tricks, but the dogs were having none of it. Then one day he came back from shopping to find both his dogs had drowned, it would seem they decided to take a dip, or perhaps they fell in. Either way those poor dogs drowned.

I have just built a huge water tank which my 18 month old Dobe boy is fascinated by, however, I discourage him from approaching it, (even though there is no water in it at present). I have on order 2 boards which you affix to the sides so that in the event a dog falls in they can crawl out using the board to safety. Now whilst I do not doubt you will always be there to supervise the dog in relation to pool time in my opinion it only takes the once for your back to be turned and disaster could strike. If your dogs do not want to go in the pool then for heavens sake don't force them, keep them out, there are better ways to cool them off without the risk of them getting into the pool when you are not there and drowning because of.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Phoenix was the same way! He loved the beach but the whole jumping into pool did not work for him. We never pushed or forced him. Two weeks ago was his first pool swim! I sat at edge with my feet on step and made it very exciting. Acting like a fool that it was so much fun. Was splashing on the step. He slowly made him way and closer he got I kept telling him how good he was. He finally stepped on step and then went for little swim off the step and back. Then we got to point where he was jumping in over side for his toy. I have video! I'll have to post it later! Goodluck! An alway have camera ready :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A friend of mine has two Weimaraners who constantly use the swimmimng pool for cooling in the summer...The pool has steps in one corner and they have learned to go down the steps,swim around and then go back up the steps when they are fnished swimming..

If the swimming pool has steps, It's not difficult to teach them to use them,but if only exit out of the pool is metal lader,i wouldn't allow them to use the pool!!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Read along time ago to put a flag by where the steps are so the dog can learn that is where to go to get to the steps. Some put a alarm in the pool if a child or dog falls in it will go off. I think a fence needs to be around all pools that way no one pet or child can fall in.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
I think a fence needs to be around all pools that way no one pet or child can fall in.
I like this idea. I have never introduced Brandy to a pool or the beach, but I guess "slow and steady" is always the best way to approach something new! Whatever you do, don't force her in, she may be more afraid later. Let her approach it at her own pace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had pretty good luck just sitting on the shallowest step and feeding my dog her favorite treats. I was really, really patient and never tried to force the issue or even over encourage. After a while she was willing to go in a bit further and eventually she went all the way in. I held her the whole time so she never had the experience of getting dunked. I also think, like what Melbrod said, it's super important that they know exactly how to get out so they don't get in and panic.

·
Registered
793 Posts
We FINALLY got our girl in the big people's pool. It wasn't easy. She had a puppy pool (aka kiddy plastic pool) that we would fill and dump out every day and we trained her to go in her pool. She spent hours in there even without us prompting her. Just splashing around and gulping the water. Then we tried to put her in the real pool to no avail she was having none of it. I bought a fantastic life jacket for her that I can't praise enough. , it's by ruff wear and it looks and fits like it was made for her. I tried throwing toys in, nothing. Then we took out the flirt pole. OMG it was as if we had an olympic c swimmer on our hands. Lol. Jumping in and out and loving it. Our pool is fenced in and she can only get in when we are with her but it's been providing her with great exercise in this high heat where its way too hot to walk her and it is really exhausting her. Try bringing a flirt pole in the pool. It has made all the difference in getting our girl to actually enjoy swimming. And if you need a life vest look into differed as they seem to really fit this breed really nicely with the deep chest design. Now if only my other three dogs would swim. Just the mention of the word pool has them hiding

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would never force a dog in a pool or water for that matter unless maybe there was a fire nearby and our only hope :) Give it time. Do they HAVE to go in the pool?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I kind of let Gus follow me into the pool (he'd follow me off a cliff) just like he followed me into the river or the ocean the first time. He sort of figures out where he's comfortable that way.In this case I took him down the stairs going into the pool so he could figure out how to get back out. He kind of slowly inched in, eventually swimming but he really didn't like being somewhere he couldn't touch so he quickly retreated to one of the stairs. I think it could freak them out if you really forced them in. Gus just lies down when I force him anywhere, like the car after the dog park, or in the exam room at the vet's. and it's almost impossible to move him when he does that haha

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
We built a pool last year. All my dogs, even the ones who don't like to swim (that would be 1 of them) were taken in the pool and taught where the steps are at the deeper end were and where the lagoon in the shallowier end was. Dogs drown if they are not taught how to get out. That being said Eli, my doberman would go on to the lagoon part but he wouldn't swim off of that, it came to his chest and it is a large lagoon area but I wanted him to swim for summer exercise, I live in the high desert and it is too hot in the middle of summer to go for runs. I got a life vest for him and pulled him in with his favorite ball, gave him the ball and had him swim out. It was the love for his ball that got him swimming in the end as we would hold it out just out far enough that he had to swim. My son in law spent hours in the pool with Eli one day and it just clicked. Eli didn't need the vest after that and he has transformed into a lab since then. He will fetch by himself, throwing the ball in so he can jump in and retrieve it and he swims every single day!

It is terrific exercise and he loves loves, loves it. He swims at night with us too. Now my little doxie can swims and he knows where the steps are but he hates it. About once every 2 weeks we put him gently in and make him swim towards the steps and he gets a treat when he reaches the top step and hops out. I don't want him to forget where the steps are. I am getting a new puppy in July and this is not a dog known for swimming really but I do want the pup to know how to swim and where the steps are. The pup, of course, will not be allowed freedom near the pool until he is grown up. Editing to add that Eli just jumps into the pool from the side now, he is so comfortable in the water, strange I know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts