Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden Buddy & Patches have went crazy, they are running around the tree and running up & down the fence. Three squirrel's playing in the trees nothing new but Buddy & Patches acted like they had never seen it before. Both going crazy running all over the place under the trees looking up at the critters.Buddy turned 6 years old in April he was panting like crazy drank water like there would never be another drop.I stopped him from drinking 3 times just trying to let him catch his breath in between drinks. Took him in the house had 2 fans on him even put a wet towel on him. I did not let him eat until he had quit panting like a crazy dog.
The Ozone was suppose to be really bad today for the elderly, young,& those with breathing problems wonder if that would have contributed to the panting?? Anyone have ideas since this is new behavior in both dogs. Buddy use to let squirrel's walk around on the ground never bothered them.Patches being a hunting type dog always would chase them if on the ground. Wonder if I need to worry about bloat and keep an eye out for it.??? Thanks ahead of time for any input.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think we have to regulate their activities as the temperatures rise; otherwise, our dogs risk having a heat stroke. I think you did the right thing by not feeding. Normally, I wait at least 1 hour before feeding my dog after exercise to reduce the chance of bloat. You can also place a wet towel around their neck to hep cool them off. Also, spraying them down with cool water should help cool them off.

·
Registered
959 Posts
On the rare occasions that I have a dog in hot temps, or have worked a dog to the point it looks too hot, I wet the dog down with water. Not just a little water either, I soak 'em thoroughly like you would if you were rinsing him off from a bath. If it's really hot (like when we visit Arizona) and the dog starts looking too hot, I'll soak him, then a few minutes later, soak him again, then again, etc.

If you need to bring him in the house immediately, you can towel the dog off and still get some benefit from the soaking. Of course it's better to leave the dog sopping wet and let evaporation help him cool. Make the dog change positions if he lays down for a while. The side that is on the ground/floor may hold heat in if the ground/floor is warm. Getting him to roll over or move around a bit will allow more body exposure for evaporation.

Reactions: Patches Mom

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
We had a similar situation with Monty last night. We were hiking and he ran off for a bit, most likely chasing something. He never runs off, so when he didn't come right back we got very concerned. A few minutes later he did come down the trail where we were waiting for him and he was at the point of heat stroke. There was a spring right on the side of the trail, we got him in it and proceeded to wet him down. It took a good 10 minutes before we could continue down the trail. Very scary and not something I want to have happen again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On the rare occasions that I have a dog in hot temps, or have worked a dog to the point it looks too hot, I wet the dog down with water. Not just a little water either, I soak 'em thoroughly like you would if you were rinsing him off from a bath. If it's really hot (like when we visit Arizona) and the dog starts looking too hot, I'll soak him, then a few minutes later, soak him again, then again, etc.

If you need to bring him in the house immediately, you can towel the dog off and still get some benefit from the soaking. Of course it's better to leave the dog sopping wet and let evaporation help him cool. Make the dog change positions if he lays down for a while. The side that is on the ground/floor may hold heat in if the ground/floor is warm. Getting him to roll over or move around a bit will allow more body exposure for evaporation.

I do the same thing with my girl, I always have water available to drink and wet her down. Then she feels soo good she usually gets a good case of the ZOOMIES. :D Sometimes our animals are just nutty!! My girl loves to watch birds and never really does anything, but every once in a blue moon, she acts like a bird is a play mate and goes bonkers like she gonna catch it or something and then it just turns into zoomies again. Kinda like kids spazing out with too much sugar :lol2:

·
Got mutt?
13,847 Posts
I've heard you can put rubbing alcohol on their pads to help cool them down? Has anyone else heard that? Would any one recommend it?
From what I understand, you do that only if soaking in cool (not cold) water doesn't work. You can actually over-chill them, and send them into hypothermia, if you cool them down too fast.

Reactions: Patches Mom
1 - 7 of 7 Posts