Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 two year old Rotties and I love them to death... One of my Rotties seems to have gained possessiveness over new toys that come into the house or that he gets a hold of. We thought we had it fixed before but just today he got a hold of a basketball and when I went to take it after he popped it (only takes seconds) he growled at me. Before he wouldn't argue much if any and now I don't know and would hate to try and take a toy from him one day then end up in the hospital or for my other dog to attempt it and he have to go to the vet...

I need help, I have already put up all the toys in the house (tennis balls are the only thing that has survived after I got his brother and they chose to play tug of war with the stuff animals). I need help. Thank you in advance. These are my first dogs ever.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Teach them to trade for a higher value item some thing they usually do not get piece of chicken, turkey or beef does not need to be a large amount. For future reference it is really great to train this when they are puppies also train 'Drop IT" & " Leave IT" .If working with a adult be careful and go easy you can train all these commands but you have to go slow and work a little at a time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We thought we had nipped it in the butt when he was 7 months old after we got him and yesterday was the first time and only time since then that he has ever growled at me after we did it last time. I will use that method to retrain it in him since it has been a little while since I did an actual training session with him after we got his brother (his brother needed some serious help with his weight and a little training on his end too). :D

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Do male rotties typically get along well? I just noticed if they are both 2 things might get testy at this age also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they get along amazingly and only one is fixed (that's how i got him) and the other isn't and he has never had issues with other dogs before except from a growling husky that entered a dog park that attacked first.

·
Super Moderator
21,744 Posts
If you are able to get a copy of Jean Donaldson's book, "Mine! A Practical Guide for Resource Guarding in Dogs," you might find it really helpful. It's a step-by-step instruction guide for how to deal with these issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts