Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always knew dobermans were smart but sometimes they really impress me. I feed my macaw a chicken wing with his dinner every night and I always give GKar one. We have a 6 year old red female living with us so she also gets one if she lays quietly and waits. Anyway, I only had two pieces left tonight so I told GKar that there was not enough for everyone to have one so only Beevis, the bird would get one. He looked at me for a minute then looked over at Tani, the female, walked over to her and made her leave the room. Then he came back and looked at me again saying "Ok, I got rid of her there's enough now". I did not give him one but I did give them both new chewwy. I tend to talk to my animals a lot but I never believed they listened.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
They know what you're saying.
If you think you're clever and spell words in front of them, hoping they won't understand, they'll learn how to spell, too.

Mavis knew exactly what D-O-G-P-A-R-K was.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Of course I am biased but I think Dobermans are the smartest dogs ever. My first Doberman, gone 3 years now, was so smart we had to spell the whole sentance "Do you want to go for a walk". I would only get the first 2 words spelled out when she would disappear and return with a matching pair of sneakers. I got wise to her and started spelling the words backwards, o-d o-u-y and in a flash she'd be gone and return with the shoes again. Then I started spelling the sentance backwards but this time with the last word in the sentance. No sooner did I get k-l-a-w out of my mouth and she returned with the shoes again. Smartest dog I ever had or knew. Kinda spoils it for the other dogs I have as I expect them to be like her :frown1:
Now if I could only get them to talk.......

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
w-a-l-k, p-a-r-k, r-i-d-e, p-i-z-z-a, D-r. B-a-t-e-s, are some of the words I have to spell.
I don't order pizza near as much as I use to with my first Doberman Max, but he would somehow know after I got off the phone that is who I called. I'll admit I got a kick out watching the look on the pizza man's face when Max went running for him. He just wanted the pizza of course, but the guy didn't know that. I know bad me, but I'm easily entertained.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I gotta ask.... Now I'm no bird expert... but feeding chicken to a parrot (feeding bird to a bird)? Isn't that kinda cannibalistic? Like I said, no expert here though!

Yeah, they do ruin it for any future dogs that aren't as smart though you got that right!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know what you mean when I lived in town I would ask my then dobe if she wanted the pizza man to come . she would go sit in the front window and wait for a car to stop. that would be him. it was a long wait some times.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Funny how they do these little things, and you think to yourself, "no, surely that just didn't happen?"

Husband was carrying the clean washing in a basket up the back stairs for me last week. Jeddah is standing at the top of the stairs looking down on him. As he's mounting the stairs, Jeddah "pops" (just nudges with her nose and it pops out of the lock) the sliding screen door and pushes it fully open with her nose. Then stands back and let him enter the house.

Now what was so different this time, was the fact that when she enters through this door, she only slides it skinny dobe width. For husband, she pushed it back the whole way. Absolutely stunned my husband, and he is adamant that she was doing it for him! :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Wow, all great stories that always kept me smiling.....Such a great breed. Somrtimes I think they may be alittle too smart for their own good.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Kratty, husband makes this same statement every single day. Usually followed by the statement "Oh no, what have we got ahead of us?". I sometimes think that he forgets she's a dog. In James' mind she is some sort of precocious Mensa type! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lexus said:
I gotta ask.... Now I'm no bird expert... but feeding chicken to a parrot (feeding bird to a bird)? Isn't that kinda cannibalistic? Like I said, no expert here though!

Yeah, they do ruin it for any future dogs that aren't as smart though you got that right!
It might be a little bit strange but as long as it is not the same species I am not sure that would be considered cannabalistic. Hawks and shrikes eat birds all the time. I also give him shrimp and beef so it's not always strange.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Molari said:
It might be a little bit strange but as long as it is not the same species I am not sure that would be considered cannabalistic. Hawks and shrikes eat birds all the time. I also give him shrimp and beef so it's not always strange.

I guess I never considered parrots to be birds of prey, but hey if he likes it, good for him:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lexus said:
I guess I never considered parrots to be birds of prey, but hey if he likes it, good for him:)
All the books I have seen say give them most anything I would eat. He gets shrimp and beef or whatever I am having on weekends but during the week when I do not eat in the evening he gets his chicken. He likes cajun shrimp the best thou.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Mmmm, cajun shrimp, at least he's got good taste! I think I could live on shrimp and seafood if I just had too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts