Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, sorry I know this has been asked a lot of times before but I'm still not 100%! My boys nails are what I would consider short, they're about the same length as other show people have them here, but is it necessary to keep making them shorter? Is there a minimum limit to how short the quick will get? Does anyone have pics on how short they keep their show nails? I would estimate them to be just over 12-13mm long when I push them out.

I accidentally quicked my boy a little cutting a tiny amount of last night, it didn't really bleed but I felt awful :(

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW they are short! :eek: Is that the standard for show dobes over there, almost like they hae no nails? How many times a week to you cut them? Or do you use a dremmel?

I think I'm aiming for mine to be as short as your side nails, I think it looks a little more natural but still nice and short. Yours are much shorter than are show nails are over here!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Alot of show dobes have nails just as short as you can get them. Wheelers were quite short, when he was active in the show ring. He will still be shown, but now that we are pursuing Obedience and Agility, I have let his nails grow out. They are longer than the photo Nox posted, but not long enough that they click on the floor. I dremel once a week.

When I was actively trying to get them shorter, I dremeled every 3 days and once finished with the dremel applied Preparation H to the end of each nail, which helps the quick recede, or so it is said. :)

Reactions: Sherryh and Amelia_

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is how short I keep my pups feet. The 2 front ones are short but the sides are a bit longer. Still working on it though :D

Im not an expert - in no stretch of the imagination - but that looks really odd. Too short maybe. What is the benefit to that?

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I've seen a log of show dogs nails super short (shorter than I would like)

Jones isn't a show dog, but I keep his shorter, we run agility mostly on dirt so I think it helps leaving them a bit longer to help with traction... Long but no clicking... If I can hear a click I know I've been neglecting my duties...

Edit...

To recede the quick I typically do nails every 3-4 days depending on the dog. I dremel :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Elza's nails are long, literally, same as her owner (me!). That's what I regret and try to trim them a bit shorter. Now I request the dog trimmer to do so.
When I bought her I was told by the breeder to trim the nails shorter to look nice, no matter they bleed, just use stypsis. Really!?
Clipping is always popular here and I didn't have guts to see blood. (I didn't know the dremmel until I signed up DT.)

Last time when we visited the dog show, the judges caught us saying "Oh, a beautiful dobe but the nails!!" I wanted to run away from them.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
I like to keep nails short - I prefer short enough that they don't click on the floor. For me, though, the length in Nox's photo is a little too short. Shanoa's are typically pretty short. Simon's are a little longer than I'd prefer, but they are still okay. He came into rescue with very long nails, and we've gotten them quite a bit shorter.

Here are Shanoa's nails:

Here's another pic. The foot in front is Shanoa's, the foot in back is Simon's. You can see the difference in the length of their nails pretty well:

Reactions: Sherryh and Amelia_

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This is greenkoukis dog

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/47889-show-me-your-well-dremeled-nails.html

That is how short I would go for on a dobe. This would take dremelling every 2-3 days to maintain.
I actually started the Prep H on Bronson after reading a few threads on here mentioning it. I dremel his nails once a week and actually noticed a BIG difference in how much I could get off after a week. Usually I can only round the edge after only a week but I was actually able to get a little length off. To most people it wouldn't be noticeable but dog nails are my job so it was a huge difference to me lol

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
In the end I think it's all personal preference. It does seem to depend a great bit on the venue you are in and the amount of work you could put it.

Mabel's are between shanoa and simons now, i got lazy and they got away from me but they used to be short like nox's outside toe.
I like to get them knocked back under surgeries(like her spay) and start fresh since I often forget and they get out of hand. But to those that want them short and can keep them that way. Kudos to ya! To each their own and as long as they aren't touching the floor and disrupting normal walking they should be fine. :)

Besides lets face it, we all have our own grooming obsessions! ;)
Some its nails, others coat, for me its mabels play scabs/scars growing hair back lol :p

·
Registered
551 Posts
I love the length of Nox's nails! One of my dog pet peeves is long-ish nails. I dog sat my friend's two Aussies last week, and the constant clickety-clackety drove me berserk. It was terrible. The shorter, the better!

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
This is greenkoukis dog

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/47889-show-me-your-well-dremeled-nails.html

That is how short I would go for on a dobe. This would take dremelling every 2-3 days to maintain.
I actually started the Prep H on Bronson after reading a few threads on here mentioning it. I dremel his nails once a week and actually noticed a BIG difference in how much I could get off after a week. Usually I can only round the edge after only a week but I was actually able to get a little length off. To most people it wouldn't be noticeable but dog nails are my job so it was a huge difference to me lol
I was about to go find that picture, thanks :) I let my guy's nails go for a few months and we're just now working back to ^ that length. It will take about 2-3 more sessions to get there I think. I like to keep them just long enough so they don't click on the floor, but still have enough grip for outdoor activities.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! Heres Ruperts nails:

They dont click on the floor, but I'd like them a little shorter for shows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts