Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know how our first class went. There were about 15 dogs I'd say in total that signed up (well they didn't, their owner's did hehe). All ranging from different breeds. But mostly retriever's (sp). Of course Bruno was the ONLY Doberman lol. There aren't many around here.

The first class was just the basic sit, down, wait for the treat. Type of thing. Bruno already knows all that. I was quite surprised to see that Bruno was one of the best behaved dogs there. I thought for sure he was going to bark and be wild. Since it's totally new ppl to him. But he didn't bark or raise his hackles once. He did great. He sat beside my husband nicely and watched as the trainer was talking. At the break the dogs were outside and able to interact with one another. So Bruno met some dogs. They of course were the smallest dogs there lol. But it was cute to see them together.

Once back in we started to do the training with the dogs. So the trainer could see how far along they were and what they needed work on. He basically does the NILIF method. Which thanks to someone in here I had already started with him. So that works out great. Almost everything I've been doing with him reguarding his dominance/aggression is what was suggested to me. So we already had an early start on that. Bruno is progressing a great deal already. He hasn't growled at either of my sons. He's learning to sit before I tell him when we come into the house. And he waits till everyone is in. Then on my command he will come in. Which I think is great (same goes for going out the door, and when buckling my kids into the car, he waits outside the car and then he's allowed in when everyone else is buckled). He isn't barking as much out the window since I started the leash inside the house. He just lets out a grumble and then comes and sits beside me lol. He's too funny sometimes. Oh and I also have my son feeding Bruno all meals. Bruno is to listen to HIM. Which he has been. So that's been working.

Another thing the trainer suggested with dinner time (to the whole class). Is to take the bowl of food to the table with you. Leave it there so your dog can see it. Eat your dinner as a family. Then when everyone is done. Bring your Dog his food. I thought that was interesting. Although we were doing something simular just not putting the food on the table. But feeding Bruno when we were finished our dinner. (And of course keeping him out of the kitchen).

Anyway it went great and I'm pleased with it. Our classes are on Sundays. So both my husband and I can go. We will bring my son to a few of them as well.

Oh and there was a retriever there that almost attacked Bruno =o Well, not just Bruno but just about every dog there. I felt bad for the owner's. Obviously they were there because their dog had some aggression problems. But it scared hte crap outta Bruno because he's not use to dogs growling or going to attack him lol. He's use to them wanting to play. So it was a shocker.

·
Registered
694 Posts
That is GREAT...sounds like he is or "you" lol....are going to learn a lot there.....I need to take Sabot to one. I used to help train them, but have not had the time that I needed to get Sabot where he needs to be....as of late, I have been making him sit or down for everything, even pats on the head...just to try to get him to listen better....last night he stayed right by my side the whole time and this morning too...he even came into the bathroom while I showered....it was weird. I peeked out of the curtain and there he was laying down watching me....crazy dog..lol

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Congratulations Bruno! lol you think he is smart now!!! JUST WAIT till he is done with training and especially if you continue with classes!!!! Bring your camera next time and have you or your husband whoever is on the sidelines take pictures!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I was wondering how it went.

I think you are going to find the classes very helpful. Sounds like Bruno is off to a good start. Ah, yes, a snappy retriever, we have encountered that before several times, that is another reason not to meet and greet, some dogs are just not friendly.

I do think the dog bowl on the table is overkill, I read about an idea making a big production of meal time in the Dog Listener by Jan (Fannell)? She seems to have a similar idea surrounding dog food. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a dog bowl with food on the table while I was eating =)

I find meal time a wonderful opportunity to practice sit/stays and down/stays.

Hope you continue to have a great experience.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
haha thats true! lol the dog food on the table may overpower the best smelling steak or any other fabulous smell lol :) haha

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dobesanddragons said:
I do think the dog bowl on the table is overkill, I read about an idea making a big production of meal time in the Dog Listener by Jan (Fannell)? She seems to have a similar idea surrounding dog food. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a dog bowl with food on the table while I was eating =)
That is what I was thinking, lol. But I think how we are doing is just fine. We wait till we are done dinner (Bruno will sit on the line where the carpet ends in the living room to the kitchen until we are done, so he KNOWS it's our dinner time lol). Then we give him a little bit (if healthy) of what we have with his meal. But NOT until everyone has left the table. Bruno knows to stay put until my husband (last person to get up) gets up and puts his food in his dish (but we've also been getting my oldest son to do this--which is working great).

So to me, that's basically the same thing. And it's working for us, so it's gotta be a good way lol.

Now if I could just get him to stop chewing my shoes ;) lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
Me too, there is no way Chico's bowl is going to sit on the table. Chico eats whenever I feed him, not necessarily after I eat. If I am feeding him then he knows that I control his eating, so IMO nothing else is necessary to show your "alpha" roll. He knows I feed him so he knows I am above him in the pack order. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well of course Bruno knows we feed him. Without us he wouldn't get food LOL. But it's just to help those ppl who are having trouble with their dog feeling they are the "alpha". Which we were with my older son. So it was suggested to do this if your dog is showing such dominance ;)

He even said that if it gets that bad. You show your dog that YOU are in charge of the food. You'll feed your dog when YOU want. Not when your dog askes for it.

It's a really good class and I'm really glad I got Bruno into it. He's a great dog and I know he can prove that to everyone :) It was also great to get opinions from someone that met Bruno. Not saying I don't appreciate the advice here (because I REALLY apperciate dobesanddragons advice and a few others). It just felt more like he was able to meet Bruno and see how he acted with other ppl around and so on. So I think that was really good also. We also stayed after class and he took Bruno alone with no one else in there for a walk across the room. Bruno went with him (on lead) but he was REALLY iffy about it. So the trainer said he deffinently knows who his "leaders" are. Because Bruno made sure to see we were there and came right back to us when he was on his way back. So yeah like I said, it really helps when the person giving the advice meets your dog on that level. If that makes any sense what so ever lol.

Can't wait till Sunday :D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
LMB,
I'm so glad that Bruno did well - How could he not? He is, after all, a Dobe :)
I'm also glad that you're so excited about it. It is so much fun and so incredibly rewarding! Your heart just swells with pride when you see him doing well and he's receiving compliments, doesn't it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts