Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our rescue Tanner is doing VERY well in her Obedience, we are working with my co-worker and her rescued dobe who does high level obedience.

But in these last few days we have had a weirdo hanging around our property and it amazed me last night when our girl who has no SchH training Promptly listened when I got scared, I simply said "go find them" and she did a older man who has been setting rabbit snares in the woods behind our house.

She didn't bite him but promptly let out a low growl and started barking her head off, I am really proud of her because she held him there he didn't dare move and she didn't take her eyes off him.

I am wondering if it would be too risky to train a rescue in SchH because I don't know the first 3 years of her life, But would it be worth me getting her tested by a professional? She has great drive and I think it would be a fun thing for me and her to do....

Anyways and feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Well, it is never too late to be tested.

SchH isn't so much about just fighting bad guys, but is more about a sport (at least I enjoy it as a sport). There is a level of drive that the dog must have to play the game and a level of temperament the dog must have to play the game.

I know a lovely Doberman bitch who will bark at strangers and get the bad guy when necessary, but can't really do SchH because she has no drive for toys or anything.

I also know a Doberman that has drive drive drive, but isn't strong enough in temperament to do SchH because he can't handle the pressure of a helper.

So I say, go for an eval! Couldn't hurt. You never know, she could be great. And even if she doesn't test well, you know she still has your back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I will! I am not interested in her chasing bad guys either really too scary in real life lol but her behavior as of late has made me think this is something that she might enjoy and be good for her.

Tanner's only flaw is her concentration at times lol its a pain in the ass dragging her away from tennis balls :)

Reactions: Beaumont67
1 - 3 of 3 Posts