Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DNA form from the health section got me thinking....Both of mine do. Chloe only suckles late in the evening and very early in the morning. But Huckleberry suckles all the time! I think if I added up all of the time each day.....that it would average to be about 2-3+ hours per day! When ever he is laying around and not asleep he is latched to a stuffie. Sometimes he would rather stay inside and suckle than go outside on a beautiful day. He does not seem to be stressed in anyway. So how often if at all is your dobie latched?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,732 Posts

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Cricket (RIP) used to suck her blanket every night before she went to sleep.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Diesel sucks his blanket whenever he's tired or about to fall asleep. He has a special blanket that he loves. He's probably done it since I got home but I know that it's really hard for him to sleep sometimes with getting a little blanket sucking in.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt is a flank sucker and I redirect any time I see it. There are a few studides that show possible relation with flank sucking and pica in Dobermans. Flirt has also had 2 obstruction surgeries. May or may not be related, but it's somethign I'm going to try to avoid in the future. I have a Vizsla that sucks and kneads fleece, only fleece. It's never been an issue so I let her do it all she wants.

Reactions: blueberry

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ripley only sucks his blankets in his crate. And I think he sucks them pretty well all day in there. His blankets were just soaked. He was redirected and discouraged from sucking anything else since we brought him home, but the crate was the one place I couldn't stop him (only crated when I'm not home).

As a result, he is no longer crated. And he no longer has the opportunity to suck anything, thank goodness. He's the only dog I've ever had who displayed the behaviour and I haven't liked it from day one.

Reactions: blueberry

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told when I picked Huckleberry up that he "loves his rugs." I had no idea what she meant at that time....I thought she meant he liked to sleep on them.....no, he suckled them. He did try to tear stuff up when I got him....I was afraid of obstructions. So I told him No Huck, suckie only! For the past 2 years he only suckles them. But he does it a lot! But it seems to make him happy.....so I deal with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts