Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a working cocker - 10yrs old, no medical issues and perfect weight.

We do hiking a lot of weekends these range upwards of 8miles to 15miles and normally climb a lot of height. He’s done this all his life and still now he loves it, he will run off the lead and is almost always ahead of us. We obviously wouldn’t take him if he wasn’t happy but he loves it. To our surprise he doesn’t get stiff at all and the next morning he will be ready to go again which is amazing.

If you have/had an older dog would you just carry on walking as much as you used to as long as the dog is happy or would you reduce this? just interested to see what others do as we always wonder how people exercise their elderly dogs!

·
joie de vivre
11,200 Posts
I would do whatever he enjoys and can reasonably handle. If he's keeping up just fine and he doesn't have any medical conditions to accomodate, I see no reason to limit his walks. I think its great for the dog's mental, physical, and emotional well-being.

A friend of mine was able to continue 10-mile hikes with her 11-yr old Doberman until the very end of his life. He never had any problems with the distance or terrain because he was in great condition, so they were able to hike like that for his entire life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts