Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity, how much time do you all spend training your dogs? I'm not talking about NILIF, but dedicated OB time.

cc

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Codysmom said:
Just out of curiousity, how much time do you all spend training your dogs? I'm not talking about NILIF, but dedicated OB time.

cc
You get the best results with short, meaningful training sessions-I usually do NO MORE than 15 min./session, sometimes less.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
They have various classes several times per week that go for an hour or more. We also train at home with conformation stacking/gaiting/stand, obedience (sit/stays, down/stays, fronts, drop on recall, heeling off lead, etc.), tracking in the backyard and out in a field nearby, fun tricks (take a bow, roll over, play dead, etc.), and agility (homemade agility stuff in backyard) weekly in short sessions (5-15 minutes or so). We love training and so do they, it is a lot of fun and not really too much work at all, we love it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ajax gets 2 5-10 minute sessions a day. We also go to a group OB class every tuesday and he does decoy work 2 times a week.

·
Extraordimary
4,985 Posts
Codysmom said:

cc
Not as much as I should, probably.

I currently attend a one hour class with Karma on Monday nights (hoping to trial for her CD next month), a one hour class with Zeke on Tuesday nights (he's working in open) and a one hour agility class with Zeke on Wednesday nights.

As we get closer to the trials next month, I'll work a little more during the week with Karma, but usually I'm not big on drilling a dog. We attend our class, and that's usually it. I'm not one to try for high score (obviously!).

Depending on my available time, I usually do a little bit of agility work with Zeke outside of class during the week. I've got some equipment, not a lot.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I spend about 20mins. each on OB at least twice a day usually.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I spend about 5 minutes twice a day with *******. I try and do it in different places. She is only 13 weeks old so her attention is limited. All off leash, most of the time, today I got her to do a sit/stay at the pet store while someone walked in. It lasted for about all of 5 seconds!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
We track about 5 mornings a week. We usually go do obedience for a few minutes after tracking. (We go to a totally different field though) Then on Tuesday & Thursday nights, and Saturday mornings, we have club training.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I've been bad! I've not worked with Lex in a long time :( I don't know how I did anything with her at all before, I'm so busy now!!

When I did dedicate time to training, we did two 15 minute sessions twice a day. Morning and evening.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
now that duchess is 2...besides little stuff in the yard like sitting...or sitting before i give her her food...things that are so basic for her...we train only an hour once a week at class...or when we take a walk...Ill make her heel, halt, turn etc...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I incorporate much of Maggie's training in our walks/runs. We do the basic heel, stop/sit, down, and stay on and off through the whole run. It seems to keep her attention span from running out quickly, and she is exposed to lots of other stimuli (read: distractions) that help refine her concentration. So, we do training on and off for 30 minutes to an hour depending on how many miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts