Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,942 Posts
They have various classes several times per week that go for an hour or more. We also train at home with conformation stacking/gaiting/stand, obedience (sit/stays, down/stays, fronts, drop on recall, heeling off lead, etc.), tracking in the backyard and out in a field nearby, fun tricks (take a bow, roll over, play dead, etc.), and agility (homemade agility stuff in backyard) weekly in short sessions (5-15 minutes or so). We love training and so do they, it is a lot of fun and not really too much work at all, we love it.

· Extraordimary
5,200 Posts
Codysmom said:
Just out of curiousity, how much time do you all spend training your dogs? I'm not talking about NILIF, but dedicated OB time.

cc
Not as much as I should, probably.

I currently attend a one hour class with Karma on Monday nights (hoping to trial for her CD next month), a one hour class with Zeke on Tuesday nights (he's working in open) and a one hour agility class with Zeke on Wednesday nights.

As we get closer to the trials next month, I'll work a little more during the week with Karma, but usually I'm not big on drilling a dog. We attend our class, and that's usually it. I'm not one to try for high score (obviously!).

Depending on my available time, I usually do a little bit of agility work with Zeke outside of class during the week. I've got some equipment, not a lot.

· Registered
3,571 Posts
I spend about 20mins. each on OB at least twice a day usually.

· Registered
8,076 Posts
I spend about 5 minutes twice a day with *******. I try and do it in different places. She is only 13 weeks old so her attention is limited. All off leash, most of the time, today I got her to do a sit/stay at the pet store while someone walked in. It lasted for about all of 5 seconds!

· Banned
6,744 Posts
We track about 5 mornings a week. We usually go do obedience for a few minutes after tracking. (We go to a totally different field though) Then on Tuesday & Thursday nights, and Saturday mornings, we have club training.

· Registered
6,590 Posts
I've been bad! I've not worked with Lex in a long time :( I don't know how I did anything with her at all before, I'm so busy now!!

When I did dedicate time to training, we did two 15 minute sessions twice a day. Morning and evening.

· Registered
3,593 Posts
now that duchess is 2...besides little stuff in the yard like sitting...or sitting before i give her her food...things that are so basic for her...we train only an hour once a week at class...or when we take a walk...Ill make her heel, halt, turn etc...

· Registered
166 Posts
I incorporate much of Maggie's training in our walks/runs. We do the basic heel, stop/sit, down, and stay on and off through the whole run. It seems to keep her attention span from running out quickly, and she is exposed to lots of other stimuli (read: distractions) that help refine her concentration. So, we do training on and off for 30 minutes to an hour depending on how many miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.