Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Kenai 2 days ago an was totally unprepared. Getting a crate today, how much space should she be allowed to have outside her crate?

Also when I'm tired of playing with her yet she still wants to play, what should I do?

One more, she likes sleeping in the bed with me, is that a good idea? It's helps with potty training I'm noticing!

Feed back would be much appreciated

Thx, and she's awesome

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got Kenai 2 days ago an was totally unprepared. Getting a crate today, how much space should she be allowed to have outside her crate?

Also when I'm tired of playing with her yet she still wants to play, what should I do?

One more, she likes sleeping in the bed with me, is that a good idea? It's helps with potty training I'm noticing!

Feed back would be much appreciated

Thx, and she's awesome
I'm not an expert but I would make her nap in her crate. Make it a positive experience going into the crate. Treat her and praise her while luring her in. Also, have a command associated with the crate. I use "Kennel up" which I learned up here. If you keep letting her sleep in the bed, you are going to wake up one day and shes going to have pee'd on the bed, guarantee it. Crate training is the best way to house train IMO. Once she is fully house trained, then you can let her sleep with you.

When shes in her crate, she should only have enough space to turn around and fit a couple chew toys inside. If she has more room, she will likely potty in her crate.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm curious, was your doberman was gift or did you get her yourself, hence the "totally unprepared" comment?

If you plan to crate her, buy a large crate that she can slow grow into, but purchase a divider so that you can expand the crate as she grows up. If you give her too much room to roam around in the crate, she will go to the bathroom in it. Believe me, I thought our little one was potty trained and removed the divider completely...10 minutes later, he was whining because he made a giant puddle in the crate.

Sleeping in the bed with you or not is your decision. Just remember that she's tiny and cute right now, but she will grow up and eventually think it's her bed and not your's. Haha!

Do you have pictures? We would love to see your new little one.

·
Super Moderator
21,867 Posts
Crate training is an extremely valuable skill that I think all dogs should have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck man. I got Josey at six weeks and we're at eleven weeks now. Totally unprepared lol My house no longer belongs to me. We're both learning as we go and we're both catching on.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Mrbrcd;1123919]I got Kenai 2 days ago an was totally unprepared.
Getting a crate today, how much space should she be allowed to have outside her crate?
^^ I give free house reign...but I also fully supervise pup / and I talk up a conversation with the doberbaby
- we build a loving bond together and my dogs family members is its whole world
- overall training becomes much easier, if space is not limited outside the crate...IMO

^^ If I lay down, the pup sleeps with me to (but I am a crate trainer failure...he-he).
- but puppies needs loads of stimulating play and socialization (people, places, noises, etc.)
- they do take lots of fun work & attention, in the beginning / no way around it, invest quality puppy time now & avoid future problems

^^ My pup sleeps in the mom/dad bed, at night...Dad takes pup out at 3:30 am in the first month.
- both my 8 week old puppies were 100% potty trained, in 3 weeks time

Feed back would be much appreciated.
^^ More puppy reading - follow my post #2: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68447-first-dobie.html

Thx, and she's awesome.
^^ What, no puppy pictures / their always welcomed !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts