Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiberius just turned 8mos yesterday and his ears still don't stand! I take the posts off and they'll be fine for about 2 days and then they flop again. My husband is telling me to give up, but I hate quit after all this time. Any advise? :(

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
I wouldn't give up. I've heard of some cases where it takes a year for them to stand. So it's possible, I believe, he just needs more time. I know it must be frustrating though. Some people have ears done posting in a month... if only we could all be that lucky!

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I wouldn't give up and I also wouldn't be leaving them down until they flop. Some crops, long crops especially, can take over a year. I"d keep posting for a few more months and not leave them down for more than an hour or two. Then start checking again after a couple of months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I was told when the posts are removed to leave them off for at least 12hrs before redoing them. Maybe that's where my mistake is seeing as you commented to leave them off for just a few hours. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,306 Posts
I just leave them down long enough for the ear to air out and dry--say an hour, max, and then put them back up again. Every time they are allowed to flop sets you back a little. If they are standing for as long as two days before they flop, you're getting there. Keep them up for a few more months and try to resist the temptation to "see if they can stand yet." Go through the summer, say, and then check them out.

Good luck!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
So here's another question - how long to you keep the posts in? I was told 5-7 days before redoing them. Should I keep this schedule?
I always averaged about 3-5 days. If they loose form or the pup messes with them, i repost.
When you get them posted next, post a pic up, so we can see what your fiinished product looks like.

PS: I like your avatar, I have that in a print. Just love the horse and 2 dobes. A dobe has always been my poor mans horse. lol

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, leaving them up for 5 to 7 days is correct. Just dont leave them dnwn but for 30 mins to an hour before reposting and dont test them for at least 2 or 3 months. NEVER let them fall. If they start to show any weakness, post immediately. Also dont recommend giving calcium suppliments as that can cause bone growth problems. If someone must give something, give glucosamine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PS: I like your avatar, I have that in a print. Just love the horse and 2 dobes. A dobe has always been my poor mans horse. lol
Thanks! I'm in the State of CT cavalry unit and my own personal mount looks like the one in the pic. Loved the picture when I first saw it...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts