Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sorry, didn't know where else to post this? I read in several posts on this forum and another that dogs such as Mals and Dobes are not good first time dogs for new dog owners. So what would be a good kind of dog without having to get a toy dog if you still wanted to get a medium to large sized dog? I know there are several factors involved such as breed tenedancies, genetics, age of said dog, drives and temperment, pack leadership, exercise, etc. Just wondered what you all thought.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
My personal opinion, I think if you are going to really dedicate your time to your dog, socializing, training etc. than I think it would be fine to get a doberman, I'm not to sure about Mals, I have never owned one. I think it depends on the kinda person you are. Some people should never own a dog, regardless of the breed. They just don't seem to have a clue about how to bring up a happy well adjusted dog so in that way a doberman would not be a good choice. I guess a Golden Ret. is less likely to walk all over you if you are not a doggie person although the one at classes on Wed. was totally out of control! I had a Greyhound that was very laid back and not demanding like some breeds. I think any breed that is easy going and forgiving of someone who may make some mistakes along the way is a good choice. Labs, some of the hunting breeds are just a few that I can think of.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I will think more breed specifically and then get back to you. But in all honesty I think a shelter dog, a possibly a mix would be a great way to go. As long as whoever is looking for their first dog does all the research. Yes, it is easier to research breed specifically, but there are things all dog owners need to know about dogs in general. I would suggest doing research on dogs and dog behavior, find a good trainer, then go to the shelter and look around. Based on size, coat, specific temperment and age. Sometimes its best to start out with an older dog. Most people think a puppy is the way to go but most people dont know the first thing about looking for breeders, how important training and socialization is, etc, etc, etc. I feel like, if anything, a lot of dogs get given up this way- because people dont know what they are getting into. I know I may get stepped on for saying this but I think a shelter really is a great way to go. So just find one that fits well in your family. As long as you've done a lot of dog research prior to getting one and are planning on getting the dog into classes, you shouldnt have a problem.

Just my 2c right now. Again please dont step on me for saying this!

Our first dog was from a shelter. She was a 55lb, 5yr old rottweiler mix. We just picked one and fell in love. I couldnt have asked for a better first dog.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yep.....well said. I had researched a bunch and felt that rescue was the best route for me. I was matched up with Rudi and the rest is history. I was patient and visited a few dobes before our match was made. I can't say enought good things about rescue. I would do it again in a second!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
bleh60 said:
I will think more breed specifically and then get back to you. But in all honesty I think a shelter dog, a possibly a mix would be a great way to go. As long as whoever is looking for their first dog does all the research. Yes, it is easier to research breed specifically, but there are things all dog owners need to know about dogs in general. I would suggest doing research on dogs and dog behavior, find a good trainer, then go to the shelter and look around. Based on size, coat, specific temperment and age. Sometimes its best to start out with an older dog. Most people think a puppy is the way to go but most people dont know the first thing about looking for breeders, how important training and socialization is, etc, etc, etc. I feel like, if anything, a lot of dogs get given up this way- because people dont know what they are getting into. I know I may get stepped on for saying this but I think a shelter really is a great way to go. So just find one that fits well in your family. As long as you've done a lot of dog research prior to getting one and are planning on getting the dog into classes, you shouldnt have a problem.

Just my 2c right now. Again please dont step on me for saying this!

Our first dog was from a shelter. She was a 55lb, 5yr old rottweiler mix. We just picked one and fell in love. I couldnt have asked for a better first dog.
And that is usually the way our first one was a Collie cross and he was a diamond,then we had a Jack Russell(never again),then we were burgled and we had a Dobe for all the wrong reasons but again she became the love of my life (sorry mrs b)and we were smitten by Dobes.:cool2:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I don't think anyone will step on your toes bleh60 that is a great idea. And yes everyone alway's thinks...puppy. But getting an older dog that is already trained is a good introduction into the world of dogs for the beginner!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Some toy dogs are NOT good first time dogs either!!! I vote for a nice shelter dog, that's what I did and couldn't imagine life without experiences with my mutts!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Having had a Border Collie and now a Dobe I always tell first time owners, get a rescue greyhound. Very mellow, glad to be around you dogs. Good for cat owners to branch out if you know what I mean.

If you really want to try the breed specific thing, borrow some ones pup. We let my sister in-law dog sit for us for a long weekend, and she realizes she is not a puppy person. Small size rescue is what she's in the market for now. I guarentee if you try a 5-6 month old Dobie for a weekend you might think real hard about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts