Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just wondering how much you would feed a 20lb , 13 week old puppy. Currently eating Earthborn Meadowfeast , 1 cup 3xs a day. She just started clearing her bowl pretty quickly and looking for more. Thank you!

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
Start with the recommendations on the bag. If she starts looking thin, increase it a bit. If she starts looking pudgy, and/or starts having loose stools, cut back a bit. And don't forget to take training rewards and other goodies into consideration, as they can add a lot of calories in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
21,300 Posts
What Rosemary said.

Dogs can have wildly different caloric needs, and different food brands vary in calorie content. I go by my dogs' body condition and adjust as needed. Puppies also go through growth spurts. Puppy starts looking too ribby? Up the food slightly. Too chubby? Decrease a bit.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
What Rosemary and MeadowCat said.

Want an example? I've got an older puppy on loan and at around 7 months he was eating 2 cups of kibble twice a day. It kept him in nice condition--then he hit a growth spurt and looked a little thin--I increased his food but I could hardly keep up with that growth spurt. He went from 70 to around 80 pounds in six weeks and at the height of the growth period he was eating three or more cups per meal and looking for more.

I slowly reduced the amount of food he was getting and he's back to slightly less than 2 cups per meal (two meals a day).

I have to laugh--I've had a lot of Dobes over all the years I've had them but that was probably the most remarkable growth spurt I've ever seen.

dobebug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts