Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, lexi has been yelping when getting out of the car after playing.
it seems to be her left shoulder.
She's 13mths old, and her regular exercise is

1. approx. 15-20mins fetch before getting in the car

2. we go to work. she's usually pretty mellow and sleeps.

3. short 10-15min walk during lunch

4. after work, she plays in dog run or prospect park depending on traffic
for about 2 - 3hrs playing with other dogs and fetch

on sat or sun, we usually go to bear mtn to hike for 4-5hrs, one day of the weekend

is she getting enough or too much exercise? my local vet recommended rimadyl but i dont want to drug her on a daily basis...could it still be growing pains?
im taking her to sophia (dobe vet) on the 14th...but wanted your opinions or experiences...

***also! she sniffed a dead, mutilated squirrel last night. and had diarrhea in the morning. should i be worried???
thanks~

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
First of all I doubt the dead squirrel and the diarrhea are connected. If she ate some it, I might be worried, but just a sniff should hurt her.

Her exercise sounds fine. Has she been slipping around on hardwood floors? (pulled muscle) messing around on stairs? have you checked her feet to make sure nothing is in between the pads or there is no injury there?

How long has this been going on? does she have problems with stairs or getting on and of beds/furniture?

cc

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a similar question about exercise. I walk Toro for 2 miles every night, and he's still bouncing off the walls when we get home! I'd love to run with him, but I understand he's still too young for that. What are the appropriate exercise levels based on age?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Definitely take her to a vet and get a second opinion. IMO, I'd be a little ticked if my vet decided to drug my dog with Rimadyl instead of trying to figure out that actual problem. Sticking a bandaid over it isn't going to solve it!

If I were you, I'd do a test and see if a few restful days in a row (only enough exercise to keep her sane, and keep it slow) helps. If it does, I'd ease up on the amount of exercise she's getting. How old is she? If she's young (under two years) you don't want to overwork her on a regular basis as you want her to finish growing and maturing before putting too much stress on the joints and bones.

Rebel73 said:
I have a similar question about exercise. I walk Toro for 2 miles every night, and he's still bouncing off the walls when we get home! I'd love to run with him, but I understand he's still too young for that. What are the appropriate exercise levels based on age?
Young dogs are still allowed to run! What you don't want to do is *forced* exercise, especially on pavement. You can still let them run around in a yard or play fetch though.

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the advice. my apt is wooden floor, and my work where she comes with me is also wooden floor. she exercises at runs that have dirt and woochip, and concrete, and at the park which is grass. i think maybe the concrete and wooden floors could be giving her touch much stress....

i just came back from the park and didnt play fetch so as not to put too much force on shoulders, but this time her yelping is much worse....
im so worried....and on top of that she has diarrhea still......she's miserable

i guess no running till we go to the vet next saturday. i think i might give her 1/2 tab of rimadyl, and antibiotics...

she's 13mths now, maybe i was overworking her....i feel terrible

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just gave her cephalexin for the antibiotic, and 1/2 tab of previcox....
i hope she feels better : (

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pippinislove said:
Definitely take her to a vet and get a second opinion. IMO, I'd be a little ticked if my vet decided to drug my dog with Rimadyl instead of trying to figure out that actual problem. Sticking a bandaid over it isn't going to solve it!

If I were you, I'd do a test and see if a few restful days in a row (only enough exercise to keep her sane, and keep it slow) helps. If it does, I'd ease up on the amount of exercise she's getting. How old is she? If she's young (under two years) you don't want to overwork her on a regular basis as you want her to finish growing and maturing before putting too much stress on the joints and bones.

Young dogs are still allowed to run! What you don't want to do is *forced* exercise, especially on pavement. You can still let them run around in a yard or play fetch though.
Oh, I know that. I just meant actually making him my jogging partner. He does run around the yard or at the dog park, but I limit our walks to a brisk walking pace...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
why is Lexi on antibiotics? that can certainly give her the runs (same as they can do to people). You may want to add some boiled white rice to her diet to help bind her up.

If her shoulder is getting worse, get her into the vet sooner rather than later.

cc

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pippinislove said:
What you don't want to do is *forced* exercise, especially on pavement. You can still let them run around in a yard or play fetch though.
Does this just apply to jogging and running? I take my dog for walks of varying paces (from slow and steady to brisk) anywhere from 4 to 6 miles per day. Harley is 9 months old and we both look forward to that time together.

He behaves so much better after a walk. When we fool around in the yard, it seems like the equivalent of letting my son run wild in a place like Cheese E. Cheese. Sure, he's burning energy, but it seems to be the kind of hyperactive energy that feed into itself...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yesterday afternoon Java (18 mos) came in after a 1 1/2 hr run - she runs the whole time - w/ hubby and Max (her partner in crime) through the nearby nature trails - and could barely walk. The first thing she did was flop on a sunny section of floor, then moved onto her pillow and slept in the sun for two solid hours. The two dogs only stop long enough to chase a chipmunk into its hole or run into the stream to get a quick drink. My theory is if Java is tired she will walk rather than run through the trails.

I would be concerned if she was running on pavement but she is running on the forest floor, which has to be easier on her joints than pavement would be. She is still laying a bit low today - still a happy dog, just a bit tired from all that exercise. Not sure I would have her do this much exercise every day, but all hubby has to do is mention Max's name and the ears go up and she's right by his side, ready to go!

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lexi's diarrhea stopped the night i gave her the antibiotics - i think it may have just been some bacteria from the dead squirrel. So glad she got over it ok...
i fed her rice and chicken~she loves it! would probably get sick more often if she knew!
I also started massaging her 5min in the morning and 5min at night, and she doesn't yelp anymore~ so glad, cuz i hate drugging her - instead she's getting spoiled more and more : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts