Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cyber (male) used to be on Inukshuk 30/25, but our vet advised that we switch to Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy (chicken and rice). We feed our 5 month old about 4 cups of the pro plan. He's 50 lbs (23.1 kgs). For anyone else with 5-6 month olds, how much do they weigh?
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Floor

Also - this tether was temporary, he's usually with me or in the crate

· Premium Member
14,921 Posts
There is a commonly used average for calulating male puppy weight--on a general average it says that from 3 months to about six month a male puppy will weigh in pounds about his age in months. So on average using that calculation your male puppy between 5 an 6 months would usually weigh between 50 and 60 pounds. As an average most of my male puppy have been in that sort of range,

It's a little hard to tell for sure but he looks a little thin to me for his age and maybe for the weight (his hip bones kind of stick up)--but actually at 5 months 50 pounds would be about right.

And virtually all of my male puppies have been eating around 4 cups per day (2 cups per meal) but I would definititely have mine on adult pro plan at five months, not on puppy.

dobebug

· Registered
157 Posts
Our 5 month old female is 42 pounds eats 3 times a day. 1 cup per meal of PPP all life stages. She also gets a licky mat with a mix sweet potato/pumpkin,PB,apples ,carrots bananas , a wet food,blueberries etc not all at once but typically it has 3 sections. One thing in each section. And a sprinkle fruit on top. Then Frozen. Plus training treats etc. she looks healthy and has no ribs showing except the last one slightly.

· Super Moderator
23,788 Posts
Leon eats Proplan Sport 30/20, about 4 1/2 cups a day. He's 6 months old, weighs over 60 pounds, but I can't give you an exact amount because I haven't weighed him in a few weeks.

· Super Moderator
23,788 Posts
Chicken.

· Registered
3 Posts
My male Dobie is currently 4.5 months and weighs 52 lbs. His mom and dad are big and euro bloodline. I feed him Hill's Science Diet puppy chicken and rice formula. I feed about 5 cups a day and add goat milk to his dinner meal. Raw Goat's milk is great for adding a little extra nutrition so they don't look so ribby, even though they grow really fast at this age so it's pretty normal to look lean.

· Registered
4,565 Posts
My male Dobie is currently 4.5 months and weighs 52 lbs. His mom and dad are big and euro bloodline. I feed him Hill's Science Diet puppy chicken and rice formula. I feed about 5 cups a day and add goat milk to his dinner meal. Raw Goat's milk is great for adding a little extra nutrition so they don't look so ribby, even though they grow really fast at this age so it's pretty normal to look lean.
Just an fyi, euro bloodlines should not be any bigger than US as their standard is nearly identical. Hopefully your breeder isn't trying to breed dogs that are over standard as that's not good for the overall health of the breed.

I would also look into switching foods as Hill's Science diet isn't really that good of a food to be feeding.

Lastly, I'm not sure who told you to feed goat's milk but I'd stop that as well. It's great for newborn puppies needing extra nutrients but it's not good for growing puppies and can lead to knuckling over and/or pano.

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an fyi, euro bloodlines should not be any bigger than US as their standard is nearly identical. Hopefully your breeder isn't trying to breed dogs that are over standard as that's not good for the overall health of the breed.

I would also look into switching foods as Hill's Science diet isn't really that good of a food to be feeding.

Lastly, I'm not sure who told you to feed goat's milk but I'd stop that as well. It's great for newborn puppies needing extra nutrients but it's not good for growing puppies and can lead to knuckling over and/or pano.
Never knew that about the goat milk!

· Registered
3 Posts

Interesting points, thanks. He will be a big boy, but I will keep him active so he stays healthy. As for the goat's milk, I heard that recommendation from a long time dog trainer in my area, who suggested it for large breed working dogs during their puppyhood to add some weight. And I don't over do it, just a little to keep him interested in the kibble.

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,653 Posts
Robert--He looks a good weight in your pictures.

Just a tip, though--if you're going to use a bridge, make sure it is loose enough that his ears are not pulled in. They should be at about 11 and 1, or 10 and 2 \ _ / or at least vertical | _ |, not pointing inwardly at the top. / _ \

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He looks a good weight in your pictures.

Just a tip, though--if you're going to use a bridge, make sure it is loose enough that his ears are not pulled in. They should be at about 11 and 1, or 10 and 2 \ _ / or at least vertical | _ |, not pointing inwardly at the top. / _ \
I think you’re replying to roberthu526 right ?

· Registered
30 Posts
Robert--He looks a good weight in your pictures.

Thanks! I actually took the postings off. The ears have been standing on their own for a few days now.

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! I actually took the postings off. The ears have been standing on their own for a few days now.
I actually did wanna ask, our pup isn’t anywhere near done posting and we wanna post at least past 6.5 months, but once they’re standing pretty well, how do you know they’re done done? I’ve seen a lot of conflicting opinions about it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts