Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

How much does your adult female dobe weigh?

• 40-50 lbs

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 51-60 lbs

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • 61-70 lbs

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • 71-80 lbs

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • 81-90 lbs

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • over 91 lbs

Votes: 4 3.1%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear DT

My hubby and I were just sitting down, talking about dogs and which breed of dog we want to get as my next search and rescue prospect. He is convinced I need to switch breeds because of how much dobes weigh. I really don't want to...
In the latter days of our SAR training, Doc reached 75lbs and it became incredibly difficult to lift and carry him. Which isn't something I can get around with SAR, at least not in the organization I train with.

Therefore, I am wondering how much your female dobe weighs. I am interested in mature weights only, so I guess after 2 years of age.

Since I will eventually be searching for another dog to train for SAR I am also wondering, are there any breeders or bloodlines that tend to produce slighter built bitches? Maxing out around 60lbs? I know this may not be something that can be answered but thought I would just throw it out there while we are talking about weight. I prefer to get a pup from working lines but I know a lot of those working lines are for schutzhund and weight isn't really an issue, it actually seems to me like they go for bigger dobes. But anyway... that is probably just my novice observation as I really don't know anything about schutzhund.

So if anyone has any advice or opinions on the matter, please feel free to chime in :) Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dear DT

My hubby and I were just sitting down, talking about dogs and which breed of dog we want to get as my next search and rescue prospect. He is convinced I need to switch breeds because of how much dobes weigh. I really don't want to...
In the latter days of our SAR training, Doc reached 75lbs and it became incredibly difficult to lift and carry him. Which isn't something I can get around with SAR, at least not in the organization I train with.

Therefore, I am wondering how much your female dobe weighs. I am interested in mature weights only, so I guess after 2 years of age.

Since I will eventually be searching for another dog to train for SAR I am also wondering, are there any breeders or bloodlines that tend to produce slighter built bitches? Maxing out around 60lbs? I know this may not be something that can be answered but thought I would just throw it out there while we are talking about weight. I prefer to get a pup from working lines but I know a lot of those working lines are for schutzhund and weight isn't really an issue, it actually seems to me like they go for bigger dobes. But anyway... that is probably just my novice observation as I really don't know anything about schutzhund.

So if anyone has any advice or opinions on the matter, please feel free to chime in :) Thanks!

My girl is 49lbs at 16mo, I'd say she'll put on another 8-10lbs tops in the next 6-8 months. But in all honesty she is on the small side...

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Poppy was quite a small BYB girl, she weighed around 48lb (PIC)
Cricket was from US show lines, she was the biggest girl Dobe I have ever seen in NZ, and was around 70lb ( PIC)
Lottie (BYB) is average size for in NZ, and is around 60lb (Pic)

ETA: don't know why, but our Dobes in NZ seem a lot smaller than what I read on here!

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Utah, your thread about your girl's weight was what inspired my post :) I commented on your thread... Like I said there, I'm only a little jealous that your girl is such a nice weight :)

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poppy was a very small BYB girl, she weighed around 48lb
Cricket was from US show lines, she was the biggest girl Dobe I have ever seen in NZ, and was around 70lb
Lottie (BYB) is average size for in NZ, and is around 60lb.
I'm kind of worried that it is mainly BYBs producing the weight range that I am looking for :/ But I am hoping the poll will maybe prove otherwise... maybe. I refuse to support anything but reputable breeders so if I can't find what I am looking for in the weight range I want then I might have to switch breeds ::sad::

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I'm kind of worried that it is mainly BYBs producing the weight range that I am looking for :/ But I am hoping the poll will maybe prove otherwise... maybe. I refuse to support anything but reputable breeders so if I can't find what I am looking for in the weight range I want then I might have to switch breeds ::sad::
What about working breeders? I've heard people say that working bred Dobes are smaller than show line Dobes... or performance sport breeders (agility breeders...). We don't have anyone breeding Dobes for those sorts of things over here, so I wouldn't know to be honest :) Just the BYBs and show breeders here :(

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Shanoa is top of the standard for height, and she is around 65-68 lbs.

Reactions: Sherryh and annolyn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Utah, your thread about your girl's weight was what inspired my post :) I commented on your thread... Like I said there, I'm only a little jealous that your girl is such a nice weight :)
Ok lol... My dog was bought from a "reputable" breeder, by a friend... Who had her for a week and then gave her to me as he was going through a major crisis. Im personally not a fan of the breeder so I'd hate to recommend him, but so far so good with Ray and she's very healthy, her sister is even smaller than her in weight so... Idk.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Keira is 58lbs (24" tall). I wouldn't want to carry her long distances, but I can lift her relatively easily if I have to. Most female Dobermans I know are about 60-65lbs.

Reactions: Sherryh and annolyn

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Wanted to add that I can and have lifted Shanoa and carried her on several occasions. Not something I would want to do on a regular basis, but I can do it if I have to. And I'm a weak little girl :D

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Liberty is in the middle to the smaller size of the standard. I haven't measured her recently, but I'd say she's about 24 1/2-25" tall, and she weighs in between 60-63lbs most of the time. She has dipped into the 50's before, but she looks a little too thin at that weight. She really turns into a beefy, muscular lady when she gets a lot of exercise, but she never surpasses 65lbs.

She was a little smaller than normal here and probably 60-61lbs:

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
Liberty is in the middle to the smaller size of the standard. I haven't measured her recently, but I'd say she's about 24 1/2-25" tall, and she weighs in between 60-63lbs most of the time. She has dipped into the 50's before, but she looks a little too thin at that weight. She really turns into a beefy, muscular lady when she gets a lot of exercise, but she never surpasses 65lbs.

She was a little smaller than normal here and probably 60-61lbs:
You know, we probably need a few more Liberty pics to really get a sense of her weight ;)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt is 72-75 lbs. Sadly any time I showed her she seemed to have a false pregnancy. And she's too tall, 27.25"

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah is from a BYB and is between 27" & 27 1/2" and weighs between 70 & 75lbs. Havent been able to weigh her lately. I can barely keep her at this weight. She is well exercised and eats raw. She can gain weight by looking at food. Maybe if I had an adrenaline rush I could pick her up. LOL

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! My faith in finding a dobe girl that I can easily lift and carry has been restored! Around 60 lbs works for me.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about working breeders? I've heard people say that working bred Dobes are smaller than show line Dobes... or performance sport breeders (agility breeders...). We don't have anyone breeding Dobes for those sorts of things over here, so I wouldn't know to be honest :) Just the BYBs and show breeders here :(
Great ideas Disco! I'll have to look into that :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Both my girls are in between 60 and 70 lbs right now, but I know Bella will pass that probably by her 1st birthday, maybe shortly after. Nexus was from a BYB so I cant recommend him to you but her size is almost ideal. She is 64.5 right now and she seems to stay right about there, the most she has weighed is 65 lbs. I am sure there are good breeders out there that have girls that iwll fit into the weight range you are looking for. I sometimes wish Nexus did come from a decent breeder, because she really is a pretty girl, not show worthy or anything at all but she is pretty. I get alot of people asking me where she came form and I just cannot bring myself to tell them who he is for fear they will go to him and that is the last thing I want.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts