Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting conversation with someone in my Control Unleashed class last night. Her dog (not a Dobe) has been in CU training for almost 2 years. They finally made the decision to add meds to deal with the dog's anxiety. She's been keeping behavior logs for months, before going on meds and now after being on them for a few months. One of the most striking things to me is how little her dog rested prior to being on meds. To be honest, it reminds me a lot of Shanoa, although she's getting better.

It made me wonder how much everyone's adult Doberman sleeps in a 24 hour period. Just curious to see if there's an average.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Hmmm... Niz is currently sleeping. He's 2.5 and sleeps probably a good... 14-16 hours a day? Depending on what we're doing. If we're out with him all day, he's obviously awake, but unless I'm taking him on a walk, or we're doing something together he likes to curl up and sleep in his bed or at my feet.

·
Super Moderator
21,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that include overnight sleeping?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Jasmine is 4.5 years old, Cash will be two at the end of April.

Both sleep a full 7 hours with me. ;) Then throughout the day Jasmine will cat nap, Cash the odd time. If I'm at work that time catnapping increases.

·
joie de vivre
11,243 Posts
Fiona is 21-months, Tali is 2-years 20-months.

Both sleep between 12 and 14 hours each day (including overnight sleep) depending on my work and school schedule. This goes for weekends too. They nap a lot during the day when I work, and on weekends they nap less but we sleep later in the mornings, so it all evens out to about the same.

I will say that Tali spends more time relaxing when she's awake than Fiona does. Fiona is usually moving and bouncing around when awake, but Tali will often sunbathe or just relax and chew her favorite kong when awake (when we're not exercising/training).

·
Super Moderator
21,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I'm noticing Shanoa sleeps MUCH more now during the winter than she does during nice weather. She typically sleeps about 9 hours overnight. Today, it's about 0 degrees F and she's slept on the couch from about 10 am until about 1 pm, then moved to her bed and is sleeping again. I suspect she will refuse to go outside most of the day; it's just way too cold for her, even with her favorite toys. I bet she'll sleep something like 20 hours today, although that's not necessarily typical for her.

Reactions: rockorabbit

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Well I assume he sleeps the 7 hours I am at work (I work night shift)
Then 4 hours when I get home he curls up with me, then wakes me up and we go do stuff...
Then he sleeps some more...

I would say 12-15 hours a day, depending on what we are doing...

If we don't do anything that day, he will sleep all day no problems, if we are up and going he is right there with me I have a super laid back Dobe

He isn't quiet 2 years old

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
If we don't do anything that day, he will sleep all day no problems, if we are up and going he is right there with me I have a super laid back Dobe

He isn't quiet 2 years old
Sounds just like Niz--he's ready for anything and on hibernate mode if we're not doing anything. But the moment I want to play with him, snuggle with him or go out on a walk he's up and ready!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I am surprised at how little Sofia sleeps.. she seems to always be 'on call' or checking on us at night.
Maybe six to eight hours a day, and that's on and off

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
well mine sleep a lot !!

they normally crash out about 9 in the eve.. till 7 am.. they are awake till i go to work at 9... they sleep in the morning.. im home at 2.. then its walk and play.. they have the odd cat nap between 3 and 9pm depending on what im doing.. then back to the begining and they are generally gone for the night.. current ages of dogs.. nearly 5, 4 and nearly 2

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,592 Posts
Indy sleeps a lot too. About 7 hours at night and off and on during the day whenever I work from home and weekends so probably 12 hours. He makes up for it when he's awake though!

:)

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Zil is another one who "sleeps" or cat naps every chance he gets...but as soon as I move he's there behind me. By 10-11pm he is telling me he wants to go to bed, but even then, if I get up to go to the kitchen or loo he often will too.
At the moment he's waking me up during the night to go out...so his sleeping during the day has increased and he's on restricted exercise whilst he recovers so I try to let him sleep as much as possible. Once they get to adulthood they seem to conserve their energy until there's something interesting happening, but they're always on 'watch'.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Keira sleeps most of the day. She's game for anything, and is ready to go do something at a moment's notice, but if we're just relaxing in the house, so is she. Sometimes she'll get up and chew a bone or something for a few minutes, or to ask for pets/attention, but she's a pretty relaxed house dog for the most part. She wasn't always like that though -- not until she turned almost 2yrs old (she's now 3).

Ripley hardly sleeps unless I sternly tell him I've had enough and to go to bed. He likes to be busy doing something. Be it rolling around on the carpet on his back, chewing a bone, chewing his Kong, sniffing and poking the girls... something. He doesn't run around the house like crazy, but he doesn't just settle and nap like Keira and Dance do most days. I'd say he naps probably about just a couple hours a day intermittently, whereas the girls are pretty much all day. But he's not even 2yrs old yet, so I expect he still has some growing up and calming down to do. He's not bad by any means, though. Just active.

·
Banned
7,653 Posts
12 hours a day on average, but only 7-8 of them would I call "sleeping." We are lucky in that I work at home, so the rest of his sleep amounts to a series of regularly interrupted naps that last for about 30-45 minutes at a time.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Sounds just like Niz--he's ready for anything and on hibernate mode if we're not doing anything. But the moment I want to play with him, snuggle with him or go out on a walk he's up and ready!
I think Niz and Jonesy were sperated at birth... The twins lol... Seem to have a lot in common

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Finn sleeps about 8 hours at night, then for about 3 hours after his morning walk and another 3 hours or so after his afternoon walk. In the evenings he's usually awake but pretty chilled most of the time. So I guess around 14 hours fully asleep and three or four hours chilling. He gets quite a lot of exercise though - 3-4 hours daily, with a lot of playing, running, exploring etc. When he has a really busy day (longer walks than usual, visiting friends, training class etc), the next day he sleeps quite a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Phew, what a relieving thread. I thought maybe mine was just that lazy but seems he is right on pretty normal. He runs and plays for a half hour and needs a 2 hour nap to recouperate. I also work 3rd shift so usually they sleep on and off during the night and then have a busy morning and then sleep with me until I wake up, usually not as late as I would like. But, when I get up he still "cat naps" on and off.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I never really paid attention, but I know he sleeps when I do, which is from about 11pm to about 5am. So thats 6 hours then he sleeps about 6-8 hours while I'm at work maybe more at times. And he catnaps thru the evening depending on what we are up to so I would say depending on the day he sleeps anywhere from12-16hours a day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Leon sleeps 8 hours through out the night. Rest of his sleep schedule is based off wifes and my schedule---if we are home during the day he will cat nap for anywhere between 1-2 hours and then up for a good romp for another hour.

Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts